Sneaky passport copy … heh heh heh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneaky passport copy … heh heh heh

As I fantasize about future travel and make theoretical packing lists for myself, I'm thinking about the suggestion you always carry a spare backup copy of your passport (I've got a couple printed and laminated) just in case of an emergency. I was thinking, should I tuck that into one of the side zipper pockets of my Aeronaut 30? Or in the inner mesh zipper pocket? Or …

And then I realized! I unzipped the backpack strap pocket and THEN unzipped the secret pocket made for the optional internal frame, and slipped the laminated copy waaaay down to the bottom in there, flat against the sheet of foam, and zipped it back up again.

It can live there now, I don't even have to think about packing or unpacking it, and it'll stay out of the way and unobtrusive until if and when I ever need it.
    ---
    My Bags: Burnt Orange Side Kick Aeronaut 30 Aubergine Everyday Cubelet
    With: Island Packing CubesTravel Tray Cubelet Dawn Wallet

Preordered: Burnt Orange Medium Cafe Bag Canary Large Shop Bag

That is exactly what I did when I used my A30 in Ecuador.
    I put photocopies of my passport, itinerary, emergency contact info and some cash into a freezer ziplock and put it into that back frame area. No help if the entire bag is stolen, but pretty good for any casual pilfering when the bag is in your room or held at a hotel desk, etc.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
      That is exactly what I did when I used my A30 in Ecuador.
      I put photocopies of my passport, itinerary, emergency contact info and some cash into a freezer ziplock and put it into that back frame area. No help if the entire bag is stolen, but pretty good for any casual pilfering when the bag is in your room or held at a hotel desk, etc.
      Awesome! Yeah I was thinking for specific trips I could put other important documents and spare cash in there as well.

Yeah, I figure it'd be helpful if I lose my wallet or day carry or something as long as the A30 is still back at the hotel … If the wallet AND the A30 itself gets lost or stolen there's really not much else that could have been done at that point, short of swallowing a copy, I guess. XD

(Actually, I do also have a scan of my passport in my encrypted SplashID information vault, which I could access from the app on my phone or either iPad, or via a web browser in a pinch, so there is that too.)
      ---
      My Bags: Burnt Orange Side Kick Aeronaut 30 Aubergine Everyday Cubelet
      With: Island Packing CubesTravel Tray Cubelet Dawn Wallet

Preordered: Burnt Orange Medium Cafe Bag Canary Large Shop Bag

Comment

Originally posted by Cooner View Post
        (Actually, I do also have a scan of my passport in my encrypted SplashID information vault, which I could access from the app on my phone or either iPad, or via a web browser in a pinch, so there is that too.)
        Some version of that is usually recommended in the discussions I've read in various places... I'm lazy and just leave copies with family, whose phone numbers I have memorized.

Since I walk/hike/travel by myself the vast majority of the time, I also have Road ID tags for my shoes and a wristband, depending on the occasion... that way someone could contact my family and they'd have the info, if I'm incapacitated or dead.

https://www.roadid.com/
        I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

I also have used the A30/A45 back frame area for keeping copies of important documents and spare cash, etc. if I am not able to carry them on or with me. It's less likely to be found by a thief pilfering from the bag. But perhaps if we are all thinking the same thing, it's not such a safe idea...? But then again, I don't imagine that thieves are discerning TB bag owners!

I keep copies of all my important documents in an encrypted cloud storage (as an Apple user I use iCloud) which can be accessed not just from your own phone or laptop; but, even if these were lost or stolen, also from web access on any computer in an emergency. Before any foreign trip, whether holiday or business, I create or update a travel folder with copies of important personal or trip related documents. Also from iCloud I have access to all my normal and emergency contacts.

Comment

Working...
          X