Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,534   Posts: 187,861   Members: 6,497   Active Members: 289
Welcome to our newest member, brppreacher.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eagle Creek to cease operations by late 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eagle Creek to cease operations by late 2021

You may have already seen this, but this is sad news
    https://www.outsidebusinessjournal.c...-by-late-2021/

https://www.outsideonline.com/242470...-shutting-down
    Last edited by moriond; 06-23-2021, 12:10 PM.

I saw this. Very sad. My first packing cubes were from them. I ordered some specialty products a couple of days ago like their passport belts and neck passport straps as well as some pocket sized packable laundry bags. I always love the quality of their specialty items.

I wonder if their packing cubes might get rolled over into an another area of the company like North Face etc.

Comment

Originally posted by YRose View Post
      I saw this. Very sad. My first packing cubes were from them. I ordered some specialty products a couple of days ago like their passport belts and neck passport straps as well as some pocket sized packable laundry bags. I always love the quality of their specialty items.

I wonder if their packing cubes might get rolled over into an another area of the company like North Face etc.
      A week ago, I noticed that a number of their products were discounted at the REI site (as were the REI packing cubes), but I didn’t know the reason why. I’ve used their Spectre series for some time. The fact their most popular items are being discounted doesn’t bode well for future long term availability. While many sets are sold out, you can still find individual items discounted at REI (also true for their own discontinued packing cube set).

Comment

Wow, what a bummer. I'm with YRose my first cubes were from EC too and I still have several of the sil nylon Specter ones, a couple packing folders, as well as a waist pouch.

The aren't showing discounted on the main EC site, but I too see them all on sale at REI and they seem to be disappearing off of amazon
        I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
          Wow, what a bummer. I'm with YRose my first cubes were from EC too and I still have several of the sil nylon Specter ones, a couple packing folders, as well as a waist pouch.

The aren't showing discounted on the main EC site, but I too see them all on sale at REI and they seem to be disappearing off of amazon
          If you go to the Wirecutter review site for The Best Packing Cubes for 2021 you’ll see that the highly recommended Cube sets go to REI and Eagle Creek. Those sets are at discounted pricing. Use the links for similar products, and you’ll find individual discounted cubes in different sizes, although the sets are sold out (also true of the REI packing cubes being discontinued), I have an order coming in today. REI places a restriction on the pricing that is for sites in the USA for the Eagle Creek products. Orders over $50 qualify for free shipping in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post

If you go to the Wirecutter review site for The Best Packing Cubes for 2021 you’ll see that the highly recommended Cube sets go to REI and Eagle Creek. Those sets are at discounted pricing. Use the links for similar products, and you’ll find individual discounted cubes in different sizes, although the sets are sold out (also true of the REI packing cubes being discontinued), I have an order coming in today. REI places a restriction on the pricing that is for sites in the USA for the Eagle Creek products. Orders over $50 qualify for free shipping in the US.
            I have what I think are the older versions of the Specter - not the Specter Tech versions... just ordered a couple more from amazon... I like the XS cubes and the smaller Sacs, though usually you have to buy sets of those or the M by themselves.
            I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Target has also been selling all the Eagle Creek stuff for around 50% off.

Comment

This past week I used my Tristar as my main travel bag. I do not have any Tristar packing cubes so I used a Eagle Creek size large packing cube. It is part of their new Isolate line and has the hard piece of plastic in it like you find in their packing envelopes but in this cube the plastic is not removable. It fit perfectly in the back section and used up every inch of space. The cube also has a compression zipper.

Comment

Originally posted by YRose View Post
                  Target has also been selling all the Eagle Creek stuff for around 50% off.
                  Thanks, never occurred to me to check there

Comment

Thanks very much for alerting us to this. The EC compression packing cubes are my absolute favorite non-Tom Bihn accessory to use in my various TB bags. I just logged onto Target and ordered two more sets of two.

Comment

Originally posted by aungrl View Post
                      Thanks very much for alerting us to this. The EC compression packing cubes are my absolute favorite non-Tom Bihn accessory to use in my various TB bags. I just logged onto Target and ordered two more sets of two.
                      Decided to order a couple compression cubes after seeing this!

Comment

My favorite packing cubes are Eagle Creek (pack-it). I have a few sets in various colors, so each family member has their own color. I recently bought some REI ones too, as I liked the shades of blue offered. I may have to stock up on more cubes. There's always the PCSB too

Comment

Originally posted by Salmanila8 View Post
                          My favorite packing cubes are Eagle Creek (pack-it). I have a few sets in various colors, so each family member has their own color. I recently bought some REI ones too, as I liked the shades of blue offered. I may have to stock up on more cubes. There's always the PCSB too
                          Which ones do you like? I think all the packing cubes are referred to as pack it but some are compression, some are mesh, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post

Thanks, never occurred to me to check there
                            I hadn’t either! Just went to their site and ordered 4 sets of 2-set compression cubes (about half the price of Amazon!).

Comment

Originally posted by WineCountry View Post

Which ones do you like? I think all the packing cubes are referred to as pack it but some are compression, some are mesh, etc.
                              I have both Specter and Isolate. Isolate was more expensive - before all of these "last chance" discounts on remaining items at Target, et al - but to be honest, I haven't noticed much difference if any between that version and the Specter version. I DO use EC for the compression feature. If I don't need compression, I stick with a PCSB or PCBP, etc. But when I need compression, I find that these work amazingly well.

Comment

Working...
                              X