Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,582   Posts: 188,369   Members: 6,553   Active Members: 307
Welcome to our newest member, LucaDebenh.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eagle Creek to cease operations by late 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh no. Next to TB, Eagle Creek had my favorite packing cubes, garment folders, etc. I loved their Specter line because it was sooo thin and slippery.

Comment

Originally posted by WineCountry View Post

Which ones do you like? I think all the packing cubes are referred to as pack it but some are compression, some are mesh, etc.
      The original ones - fabric/mesh variety. Each family member has a different colored full & half size cube for easy identification (black, red, purple, green)

Comment

YRose

Your post brought to mind that I should remind people that the Eagle Creek Packing Folders will also eventually cease to be available. The medium size folder (sometime referred to as 18” size) in the Specter line will fit into either TriStar or Western Flyer back pocket, but for the Western Flyer, the original design folders in this size will not fit conveniently although the Specter versions will. This came up very recently in the TB branded Garment Folders …?!? 05-22-2021thread
        https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...ders-%E2%80%A6

I answered a question by
        Artdime
        Originally posted by Artdime View Post
        Do you use the Halcyon WF? My medium EC folder will not fit into my ballistic WF. Close, but cannot be zipped.
        in a reply post I gave old pictures (from 2013 and 2014) showing fits of both types of Eagle Creek packing folders (original design and Specter) to the Western Flyer back pocket. Obviously, this information is not new, but it may not be something that forum members are aware of if they assume that the non-Spectre versions of the EC medium packing folders work equally well as the Specter versions in all Tom BIHN luggage bags.

Originally posted by YRose View Post
        This past week I used my Tristar as my main travel bag. I do not have any Tristar packing cubes so I used a Eagle Creek size large packing cube. It is part of their new Isolate line and has the hard piece of plastic in it like you find in their packing envelopes but in this cube the plastic is not removable. It fit perfectly in the back section and used up every inch of space. The cube also has a compression zipper.
        I used the Tom BIHN packing cubes before the Specter versions were available from Eagle Creek. (My Aeronaut is from the first production batch of that bag; likewise for my TriStar). Did you find the TriStar backpack straps similar to your experience of the Aeronaut 30?

This is an aside to the current topic, but I am so glad that I stocked up on the now-retired Yeoman Duffel Aether Packing Cubes, especially in Mini and Small for general purpose use (and also on the retired Aether packing cubes for the Stowaway — even though I don’t have a Stowaway) You don’t need to use those packing cubes with the Yeoman Duffel line, but they’re such useful general purpose cubes in terms of their depth, proportions, and top handles for use outside of the YD line, too.
        Last edited by moriond; 06-26-2021, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
          This is an aside to the current topic, but I am so glad that I stocked up on the now-retired Yeoman Duffel Aether Packing Cubes, especially in Mini and Small for general purpose use (and also on the retired Aether packing cubes for the Stowaway — even though I don’t have a Stowaway) You don’t need to use those packing cubes with the Yeoman Duffel line, but they’re such useful general purpose cubes in terms of their depth, proportions, and top handles for use outside of the YD line, too.
          It would be nice to have a run of all those again ... And more aether colours
          😁
          I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
            YRose

Your post brought to mind that I should remind people that the Eagle Creek Packing Folders will also eventually cease to be available. The medium size folder (sometime referred to as 18” size) in the Specter line will fit into either TriStar or Western Flyer back pocket, but for the Western Flyer, the original design folders in this size will not fit conveniently although the Specter versions will. This came up very recently in the TB branded Garment Folders …?!? 05-22-2021thread
            https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...ders-%E2%80%A6

I answered a question by
            Artdime

in a reply post I gave old pictures (from 2013 and 2014) showing fits of both types of Eagle Creek packing folders (original design and Specter) to the Western Flyer back pocket. Obviously, this information is not new, but it may not be something that forum members are aware of if they assume that the non-Spectre versions of the EC medium packing folders work equally well as the Specter versions in all Tom BIHN luggage bags.

I used the Tom BIHN packing cubes before the Specter versions were available from Eagle Creek. (My Aeronaut is from the first production batch of that bag; likewise for my TriStar). Did you find the TriStar backpack straps similar to your experience of the Aeronaut 30?

Do you know the sizes of the Yeoman cubes? Would like o find replacement options for just purchased duffel

Comment

Do you know the sizes of the Yeoman cubes? Would like o find replacement options for just purchased duffel
              This page (https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...ng-cube-yeoman) appears to have the dimensions of all the Yeoman cubes.

Comment

WineCountry
                You don’t need to use the original Yeoman Duffel Aether Packing Cubes to effectively pack the Yeoman Duffels, and I suspect that’s one of the reasons that they retired these packing cubes as early as they did — given the large open nature of the Duffels a lot of people probably didn’t see the need to buy these, may not have used packing cubes at all (e.g., for camping gear, bedding, etc.), or done very well with existing third party packing cubes. However, these packing cubes have a depth and shape (and handles) that make them unique in the product line up, so I found that having one or two of these (not even necessarily a whole set) greatly increased the packing configurations I could use for the Yeoman Duffels, not to mention the way I was able to use them in completely different bags (Smart Alec, Night Flight Travel Duffel, Sprout Kid’s Backpack, Small Shop Bag, etc.) as well as for carrying items like lunchbox and thermos packups, or use them for other purposes (changing set for kids).

You can still find a list of the dimensions and volumes on the product page:

YEOMAN PACKING CUBES
                https://www.tombihn.com/products/packing-cube-yeoman

They can also be seen in The New Yeoman Duffel Aether Packing Cubes 07-20-2017 thread
                https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...-packing-cubes

Hope this helps,

moriond

Comment

It seems that Eagle Creek is going to live on after all:
                  https://www.bettysport.com/journal/eagle-creek-lives-on

For which I am very glad; certainly an iconic brand. They were the first to introduce the packing folders, and it was one of the best ways to carry dress shirts, and other more formal items --especially in the late 80s and so on.

Comment

It is going to be a long and uphill battle to resurrect Eagle Creek but Travis Campbell looks like just the guy to do it. Here's a pull quote from Outside Magazine's imprint Outside Business Journal, 2021.09.08:

One of Campbell’s first big goals is staffing up. He acquired the business without any employees—all former Eagle Creek employees were either let go or absorbed into other departments at VF—so for now, it’s just him. “The good news is that VF has given me a transition services agreement, so they will run the back-end infrastructure for about six months while I build a new team,” he said, a move that will ensure vendor and customer support remain intact with no interruptions.

Campbell says he has a good bead on a potential head of operations and will be announcing that individual in the coming weeks. “We’re in a funny spot,” he said. “We’re like a startup. The first people I hire need to be jacks and jills of all trades. I need heads of product, marketing, e-commerce, and then people to fill out those teams. My goal is to scale up hiring on an as-needed basis. I will work to publish an exhaustive list of open roles and take it from there. In a year or so, we will have 20 to 30 people on staff.”

Comment

Working...
                    X