Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,492   Posts: 187,434   Members: 6,453   Active Members: 336
Welcome to our newest member, parisbandarq.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attaching HLT to Sternum Strap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attaching HLT to Sternum Strap

It just occurred to me that I can attach an HLT2 to the sternum strap and use it as a 'chest pack'. Has anyone done this? If so, does it work well for you?

It seems to be a good hiking setup for storing some snacks, tools, phone/inReach/PLB and sunglasses. You can create a 'tray' of sorts by attaching the key strap between the O-ring on the one half and the webbing on the other half of the compartment. I guess it might be good to add a 'frame sheet' to the webbing side of the pouch in order to lend it some structure.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ChestPack.jpg Views:	10 Size:	100.3 KB ID:	333755

[ETA] Since the handle is now at the bottom, it is possible to hang a face towel or other small items with swivel double carabiners.

When attached, there is a gap between my chest and the HLT/sternum strap due to the thickness of the edgeless shoulder strap. That might help with airflow, but I guess it matters little when the weather is hot and humid.

Of course it would be better if everything is secured in place using pouches and straps. Meanwhile, the color combination - should I get a Coyote HLT2 to go with the S30? (Now I am rationalising...)
    Last edited by PeaceBell; 07-03-2021, 03:32 AM.

That is such a great idea! A Coyote HLT2 would make it, as if it was part of the backpack.

That yellow color, I forgot the name, goes really well with Coyote.

Comment

Originally posted by backpack View Post
      That is such a great idea! A Coyote HLT2 would make it, as if it was part of the backpack.

That yellow color, I forgot the name, goes really well with Coyote.
      I agree, Solaris (I think that's the name) goes well with Coyote and helps with visibility too. I'm thinking of getting another HLT2 to keep my outdoor tools - this one was meant for my office/EDC use - so the colorway is something to ponder about...

Comment

Originally posted by PeaceBell View Post
        It just occurred to me that I can attach an HLT2 to the sternum strap and use it as a 'chest pack'.
        I haven't tried hat as I don't use sternum straps, however I'm super hoping TB makes a tweak of their padded hip belt pocket to allow it to be firmly attached to the sternum strap "rails" on the shoulder strap - that would be a GREAT place to store an easily accessible water bottle for hiking, a cell phone for urban commuting, or easy-access needs like keys or snacks.

The HLT idea is similar & pretty cool!
        Seeking Verde Aeronauts

Comment

I agree, I would love a TB version of a pocket for the shoulder straps. The problem I have had with add-on shoulder strap pockets is that there is no good anchor point on the shoulder straps so they just slide up and down regardless of where the sternum strap is.

Originally posted by GrussGott View Post

I haven't tried hat as I don't use sternum straps, however I'm super hoping TB makes a tweak of their padded hip belt pocket to allow it to be firmly attached to the sternum strap "rails" on the shoulder strap - that would be a GREAT place to store an easily accessible water bottle for hiking, a cell phone for urban commuting, or easy-access needs like keys or snacks.

The HLT idea is similar & pretty cool!

Comment

Working...
          X