Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,533   Posts: 187,860   Members: 6,497   Active Members: 289
Welcome to our newest member, brppreacher.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garment Folder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garment Folder

I'm a flat packer. Rolling just doesn't work for me. I love the Laundry Cubes with the floating divider. I asked for them, and you made them, and I've used them, and they're great. Thank you!

However, my all time favorite packing device is the Eagle Creek garment folder. Mine are the thin, slick Specter silnylon. Their only downside is they don't quite fit in all my various TB bags. So I kept changing TB bags until I found the right bags that the folders fit in.

Now that Eagle Creek is out of business, would TB consider making garment folders? I love the stiff piece that I fold my clothing around because everything gets folded neatly and the same size. I love the velcro wings that compress the stack of neatly folded clothing and keep it all in place. And if TB made them, they would definitely fit perfectly in my various TB bags.

I know this wouldn't be high on your priority list right now, but just a request. If anyone else is interested, please chime in.

I would definitely buy these if they were available.

Comment

Osprey makes a folder. Suggest you just find as many EC folders as you can at department stores and others like REI as the stock dwindles to zero.

Comment

Yes please!

Comment

Just a random comment - I've had mine for 15years or so and they still work fine, though I admittedly don't use them more than a couple times a year.... I expect the velcro is the first to give out and theoretically could be replaced.
          I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

I don't need to collect more EC folders. I have enough. My main complaint is that they don't fit well in my TB bags. But a TB folder would fit perfectly.

Plus the EC folders have the velcro facing the wrong way out, so I have to be careful it doesn't snag other items.

The Osprey garment folder doesn't compress down like the EC one does, so items shift and wrinkle if you don't fill it up. With the EC design, I can put a few or a lot of items in and everything holds tight.
            Last edited by BWeaves; 08-19-2021, 10:25 AM.

Comment

The medium EC garment folder fits very well in the Brain Bag, almost as if it were made for it.

Comment

[
                I don't need to collect more EC folders. I have enough. My main complaint is that they don't fit well in my TB bags. But a TB folder would fit perfectly.
                Get a hot knife and trim to fit. Not all that difficult and quite rewarding in a DIY sort of way. You may need some duct tape but you seem to have plenty of inventory with which to experiment.

Plus the EC folders have the velcro facing the wrong way out, so I have to be careful it doesn't snag other items.
                Interesting observation. I’ve had mine since they were first introduced 10-20 years ago and never had that problem.

The Osprey garment folder doesn't compress down like the EC one does, so items shift and wrinkle if you don't fill it up. With the EC design, I can put a few or a lot of items in and everything holds tight.]
                Well, I bow to your experience. I have not purchased the Osprey units because I have all the EC folders I could ever need and one or two of them fit in the A45 well enough to satisfy. And using a folder is one of those oddball quirks some of us like instead of rolling or cubing. My travel blazer works best in the folder.

An interesting exercise would be to determine the least number of x-y garment folders that would be required to fit the maximum number of TB travel oriented bags. If they were to make folders, the fabrication team would probably like to see fewer than more variations.

Comment

Get a hot knife and trim to fit. Not all that difficult and quite rewarding in a DIY sort of way. You may need some duct tape but you seem to have plenty of inventory with which to experiment.
                  That won't work because the flaps are attached to the base, and it's the base that isn't quite the right size.

However, the EC Medium Specter folder fits perfectly in my Skookum / Road buddy medium duffle.

Interesting observation. I’ve had mine since they were first introduced 10-20 years ago and never had that problem.
                  I believe the regular EC garment folders had the velcro with the soft side facing out and the hooks facing in. The Specter ones have the hooks facing out, and parts of the Velcro are exposed when I close the flaps, and those hooks snag on everything. If I remember and put the garment folder in face down, so it's next to the Halcyon lining, then no problem, but I can't just put the garment folder in at the last minute because I invariably snag my cuffs or elbows trying to get something out of my luggage.

Comment

Working...
                  X