Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,586   Posts: 188,399   Members: 6,562   Active Members: 320
Welcome to our newest member, FlorBeadle.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AirTags in TB bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AirTags in TB bags

So I read that Targus announced a backpack that you can track with Apple's "Find My" network. Well, I thought, I can get the same by putting an AirTag into a Tom Bihn bag - simple as that.

Right, but how or where exactly do you put your AirTag? Do you use a cover for the AirTag, possibly one with a carabiner so that you can attach it to an o-ring? Or do you use one of the smaller TB pouches? Any other creative solutions?

Surely someone is already using AirTags with their TB bags

Photos: AirTag vs. Pocket Pouch and Super Mini GW

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3826D.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	3.12 MB
ID:	337229 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3827D.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	2.93 MB
ID:	337230

I know it isn’t super exciting, but I use one of Apple‘s loop accessories and put the AirTag on the main handle. I want the AirTag to be seeing some of that if I do use the bag, people can know to scan the AirTag quickly and so I have to dig through the full bag.

Comment

I keep one in my HLT 1 that is always in whatever bag I'm using that day.

Comment

I keep an airtag in my Side Kick, which lives inside my backpack if I'm not carrying it separately. I don't think anything more complicated is needed than slipping it in an interior pocket, and that way if I switch carry bags it's easy to move. Theoretically, someone who steals my bag could find and remove it, but honestly it's hard to notice, and the more likely scenario is that I misplace the bag.

FWIW, I also airtagged my car, placing it in a compartment in the back that's not very visible. Car thefts are pretty common in my neighborhood, so this would allow me to track it down.

The only 'tag' I purchased a third party ring for was the one attached to my keyring.
        ----
        All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
        Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
          FWIW, I also airtagged my car, placing it in a compartment in the back that's not very visible. Car thefts are pretty common in my neighborhood, so this would allow me to track it down.
          That's brilliant!

OP: are you talking luggage or everyday carry? If you're not looking to keep the tag visible, there are wallet sized air tag holders you could just slide into a pocket in the bag. I don't know how sensitive the air tags are to accidentally being pressed.

I use tiles. I keep one loose in the clear zipper pocket on my Swift and another one in my needle case since my tools move from one project bag to another fairly often. Most of my devices have a tile stuck to them somewhere and I'm rarely without a device even if it's just my AirPods.

Comment

Several of the holders Apple sells can be connected to an O-ring.

Comment

Originally posted by craigmcclellan View Post
              I know it isn’t super exciting, but I use one of Apple‘s loop accessories and put the AirTag on the main handle. I want the AirTag to be seeing some of that if I do use the bag, people can know to scan the AirTag quickly and so I have to dig through the full bag.
              Maybe I'm paranoid but to me a visible AirTag seems to be saying "It's worth stealing this bag".

Comment

Originally posted by thepatternslave View Post
                OP: are you talking luggage or everyday carry?
                Luggage (not that there's a lot of travel going on right now). I don't have a lot of EDC (think Grab Bag), if at all. So that would stay on my body or in the office and wouldn't have to be tagged.

I'm just interested in seeing how others are using their AirTags with TB gear. So keep them coming

Comment

Originally posted by dirkhaun View Post
                  I'm just interested in seeing how others are using their AirTags with TB gear. So keep them coming
                  Sharing one more comment and story: The AirTags seem slightly better than Tiles, because their locations are always getting updated by nearby iPhone users, at least in urban areas.

But back when Tiles were the best option, a few years ago, I had an incident when I traveled to West Africa for work, and in packing up for the trip home, inadvertently tossed my credit cards into my suitcase, which I subsequently checked through to the US. I panicked because there was no way to access my suitcase or ensure that they were safe. But after I boarded the plane, I opened the Tile app and it detected my credit card pouch (which was tagged) underneath me in the baggage area. Very reassuring!

Tagging one’s suitcase, particularly if it is checked or even gate-checked, would be helpful if it went astray, so that you wouldn’t have to rely solely on the airline’s information about its location.
                  Last edited by bchaplin; 11-17-2021, 05:41 AM.
                  ----
                  All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
                  Edmund Burke

Comment

Working...
                  X