Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,895   Posts: 192,296   Members: 6,770   Active Members: 313
Welcome to our newest member, louisep.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap on an Icon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap on an Icon?

I'm not a big fan of the shoulder pad on the Standard Strap, which also seems to be the same pad as on the Icon. I think it slides around too much, both on the strap itself as well as on my shoulders. While I can easily replace the Standard Strap with something else, the strap on the Icon is sewn to the bag.

I was wondering if anyone has replaced the shoulder pad of an Icon with the Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap, preferably without cutting off the original shoulder pad. I haven't dared to do so yet, but it looks like the adjustable end of the Icon's strap could be pulled out of the Rabbit Hole so that you could simply slide off the pad. Has anyone tried that yet? And how much of a hassle was it to get it back in again?

Yes, I tried that, although I ended up putting it back after a while. It was something about the ultrasuede strap not moving easily when I moved the bag to rest on my back instead of in front. But it’s easy to remove the original pad as you noted. Getting the strap back into the rabbit hole was a bit of a hassle, but doable.

Comment

Thank you, Auntie Em! I have the Ultrasuede Wrap on my MCB, so I know that it's not moving easily - but that's exactly what I want So now I have to wait for them to be back in stock, and then I'll attempt the operation.

Comment

So after buying ALL THE ULTRASUEDE WRAPS (almost literally - I got 3 and they're already sold out again) I have now modified one of my Icons.

It's really not that hard. When you thread the strap back through the clasp, double-check that the strap is not twisted (you have a 50:50 chance of getting it wrong). Helps if you have a second Icon to compare it with Then fold over the end of the strap when pushing it back into the rabbit hole so that it goes in easier. Only took me a couple of minutes (and, of course, a wrong attempt).

Now testing how I like it before modifying the other Icon as well. But I really hate how the original shoulder pad keeps sliding around so I doubt I'll go back to that.

Comment

Thanks for the update! I recently got a Ristretto on eBay and it came with a strap that has the Standard Strap pad (but with the Simple Strap webbing), but all the rubberized bottom part was completely gone. It may have deteriorated and the previous owner tore it all out. The pad still fulfills its function, but I was thinking it might be good to replace it. I do have the Standard Strap that came with the Road Buddy (for which I will instead use the Absolute Strap), but it sounds like the Ultrasuede strap may be particularly good for things in the "Cafe Bag" size class. Might try one out once they're back in stock - and thankfully, the Ristretto's strap just connects with snaphooks, so it should be easier to shimmy the old pad off.

Comment

Originally posted by ittoujuu View Post
            I recently got a Ristretto on eBay and it came with a strap that has the Standard Strap pad (but with the Simple Strap webbing)
            FWIW, I have the Absolute Shoulder Strap on both my Ristrettos. I think I bought the Ristretto for iPad with that strap, and the bigger version, which I got off of eBay, already came with it, too.

but all the rubberized bottom part was completely gone
            Want mine?

Comment

Might try one out once they're back in stock
              They're back.

Comment

Oh, thanks for the heads-up!

Also, since you've used both types of strap... Do you not find the Absolute Strap too large for the Ristretto? I always had it pegged as "this is the beefy strap for carrying serious luggage," like an A45 or something. I suppose maybe if one has the Ristretto really packed out and is carrying it around all day, it might be worth it in comfort. The one I got is an older model, with the open-top/non-zip admin panel, metal hook attachment pieces, and cordura inner/outer. It's smaller in dimension than the most recently-produced model shown on the TB website--which I actually prefer, as I don't intend to use it for laptop carry--and the Absolute Strap I have looks pretty pronounced when hooked up to it.
                Last edited by ittoujuu; 08-26-2022, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Quite a few folks have the mini version strap for smaller bags

OP/TECH USA Mini S.O.S. Strap (Black) 0901262 https://a.co/hKI7omN

ETA: I use the Absolute only on the big bags like Yeoman, Aeronaut, Road Buddy... the mini Op-Tech I use on the WF, fully loaded Pilot, etc.
                  I also just tested it on the Cambiata to use when also carrying a backpack, to see how the grippy/stretchy aspect worked to hold over the backpack straps better than a slippery webbing strap - definitely worked better for me.
                  Last edited by G42; 08-26-2022, 11:35 AM.
                  I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Also, since you've used both types of strap... Do you not find the Absolute Strap too large for the Ristretto?
                    Yeah, it's big. And I have it on the Ristretto for iPad, which is even smaller than the 13" version. It never bothered me, to be honest.

Or have a look at the S.O.S. Strap that G42 mentioned. I have two of those, too. They're very similar to the Absolute Shoulder Strap, just a little smaller and without the curvature.

Comment

I didn't realize OpTech made a smaller strap! For the moment, I think I'll see how the Ultrasuede works out (since I like my basic webbing strap with the "groove lines" in the middle for visual flair), but it's good to know there's a high-comfort option with less bulk if I end up wanting that.

Tangentially, I've never thought of a cross-body bag as a daily carry for travel because I always just assumed it would start making your shoulder hurt after a while compared to a light backpack, but maybe it's an issue that can be rectified with a better strap?

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
                        Quite a few folks have the mini version strap for smaller bags

OP/TECH USA Mini S.O.S. Strap (Black) 0901262 https://a.co/hKI7omN

ETA: I use the Absolute only on the big bags like Yeoman, Aeronaut, Road Buddy... the mini Op-Tech I use on the WF, fully loaded Pilot, etc.
                        I also just tested it on the Cambiata to use when also carrying a backpack, to see how the grippy/stretchy aspect worked to hold over the backpack straps better than a slippery webbing strap - definitely worked better for me.
                        I didn't realize OpTech made a smaller strap! For the moment, I think I'll see how the Ultrasuede works out (since I like my basic webbing strap with the "groove lines" in the middle for visual flair), but it's good to know there's a high-comfort option with less bulk if I end up wanting that.

Tangentially, I've never thought of a cross-body bag as a daily carry for travel because I always just assumed it would start making your shoulder hurt after a while compared to a light backpack, but maybe it's an issue that can be rectified with a better strap?
                        This is a picture that compares the Op Tech Mini SOS strap with the Absolute Strap:

It was taken from a recent discussion about other options for carrying Le Petit Derriere on a Shoulder Strap to emphasize that this was not exclusively a "fanny pack "
                        See my post dated 02-01-2021 for more discussion and links

Op Tech was originally commissioned to design the Absolute Strap for Tom Bihn. The Mini SOS (Save Our Shoulders) is one of their camera straps. The photo was actually taken to illustrate how you could hack a Field Journal Notebook to add in attachment points for any shoulder strap with snaphook endings. It originally stemmed from a question by someone in the Just for Registered Users forum who was using the FJN to carry bulk artist supplies (paints, watercolor notebooks, and lots of other items) and wanted to use a different shoulder strap that could support the additional weight. The picture was part of an illustration about how to use triangle clips to fit the webbing ends into through the base slots of the triangle clips and then to connect the snaphooks for the shoulder strap to the triangle portion. (I could also hack the Cambiata this way, but I didn't have to because Tom Bihn made adapters designed for this purpose). The photo also showed my suggestion of using the Op Tech Mini SOS Strap (straight, narrower, and also shorter compared to the curved, larger Absolute Strap). If you read my original linked post you'll find working links to other forum discussions where people use small straps, and that includes some alternatives to the Op Tech Mini SOS Strap that folks have used for the Co-Pilot. BTW, when I link posts, there is almost always additional useful content in the linked post or thread. But many people ignore this, so I put in enough content and images so there is an answer to their questions even if they ignore the other information.

HTH

moriond
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by moriond; 08-26-2022, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X