Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,777   Posts: 190,655   Members: 6,660   Active Members: 268
Welcome to our newest member, frogmore.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jacket strap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jacket strap

If you were to search Amazon for an “add a bag jacket gripper” that’s essentially what I’m looking for. I know Magellan’s used to sell one but it was $25 and it’s gone from their site now. The problem is that all the ones on Amazon have fairly bad reviews complaining that they fall apart quickly. I’m wondering if anyone here has “hacked” any of the Tom Bihn straps into a jacket holder with no sewing by attaching a sturdy carabiner or D-ring. (Unfortunately I’ve been diagnosed with a chronic illness that affects my fingers and makes sewing painful.) Or even without hacking… do you think the key strap, utility strap, or handle loop would make a decent jacket carrier? Or could I shorten the luggage strap enough to make that work?

Could you use stroller straps for this purpose?
    Getting to the point with too many bags to list them all. Current daily carry is my Black Halcyon Zeitgeist with a Cobalt Cerylon 3DOC as my "purse"/

Comment

These are similar but heavy duty for hoses and stuff... Maybe better than the ones for jackets
      https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q48FWJ2...c=1&pldnSite=1
      I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by sturbridge View Post
        Could you use stroller straps for this purpose?
        Unless I’m missing something, there are no dimensions given on the stroller strap page. It just says the size of the D-rings is 1.5”. I think they might be a bit small to carry a jacket - the bulk might not squeeze into that tight of a strap.

G42, those are interesting, thanks!

Comment

Cristina has the stroller straps I think and may be able to help
          There's also a larger backpack luggage strap
          I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by SparklingBlue View Post

Unless I’m missing something, there are no dimensions given on the stroller strap page. It just says the size of the D-rings is 1.5”. I think they might be a bit small to carry a jacket - the bulk might not squeeze into that tight of a strap.

G42, those are interesting, thanks!
            There was some discussion about this in connection with securing jackets to Le Grand Derrière that I can point you to using bungee cords with ball ends..See
            Hack for sewing/attaching external loops?

There are also some forum hacks for specific bags, if you can give more details

Comment

I've used this Utility Strap from DSPTCH (https://www.dsptch.com/products/utility-strap) to carry around jackets. Though it also looks like the stroller straps from Tom Bihn are a good hack as well!

Comment

Are you going to attach it to the top handle? A stroller strap would work if you want to enclose the strap around your jacket. They’re incredibly sturdy. I would definitely recommend something sturdier than a key strap or handle loop. I will post a pic separately.

I also tend to put a double swivel carabiner on the top handle and kind of hang short jackets (and bike helmets, and gloves) off there.

Originally posted by SparklingBlue View Post
                If you were to search Amazon for an “add a bag jacket gripper” that’s essentially what I’m looking for. I know Magellan’s used to sell one but it was $25 and it’s gone from their site now. The problem is that all the ones on Amazon have fairly bad reviews complaining that they fall apart quickly. I’m wondering if anyone here has “hacked” any of the Tom Bihn straps into a jacket holder with no sewing by attaching a sturdy carabiner or D-ring. (Unfortunately I’ve been diagnosed with a chronic illness that affects my fingers and makes sewing painful.) Or even without hacking… do you think the key strap, utility strap, or handle loop would make a decent jacket carrier? Or could I shorten the luggage strap enough to make that work?

Comment

Here is a pic of a S25, and attached to the top grab handle are the smallest size of Hero clip (ignore that, it was on the bag anyway), a large red swivel double carabiner, and one stroller strap. You can adjust the stroller strap and tighten it around a jacket. Hope this helps!
                  S25 with strap and carabiners on top handle

Comment

Thanks everyone!

moriond I wanted something I could move between bags.

Cristina since you mention it, does the Heroclip mini work well? I have a Medium one that I got as a gift but I haven’t played with it much because it’s so big. Do you find that the mini has enough clearance to hang your bag?
                    Last edited by SparklingBlue; 04-28-2022, 05:08 AM. Reason: Fix autocorrect

Comment

SparklingBlue funny you should ask, because I wish I had gotten the medium HeroClip. I have the large one and sometimes it is too big, but the small one is, for me, too small. Hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
                      X