Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,735   Posts: 190,167   Members: 6,602   Active Members: 273
Welcome to our newest member, bosticderek.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DLBC and a Sidekick? How to organize a Daylight Briefcase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DLBC and a Sidekick? How to organize a Daylight Briefcase?

It’s only been a month since I got my first Tom Bihn bag, and I’m already thinking about the next one.

I’m thinking my next purchase is going to be a Daylight Briefcase (DLBC). I have an idea for how to organize it, but I don’t know if it’s going to work. My idea is to put my tablet (a SurfacePro) in main compartment along with a sidekick in front of the tablet. On one side of the sidekick I’d put a water bottle and on the other I’d put a travel umbrella. The sidekick would ensure the water bottle stays upright. The sidekick is easily big enough to hold all of my work stuff except the tablet. I don’t see using the front or back pockets much other than my work pass and phone.

If anyone has both bags, I’d love to see a photo of the nesting strategy I’ve described.

Any other suggestions or tips on how to organize a DLBC?

I know I don’t really need the Sidekick. My packing idea is mostly an excuse to buy a third bag / accessory. But, I’m thinking it could be a good organizer for my odds and ends that I can use both with my DLBC and my Synik. The SE seems a tad too small. It’s smaller than the HLT#1 I recently returned (that was too much organization for me and didn’t fit my packing style). Maybe there’s another bag you’d recommend that would complement a DLBC and a Synik?

Thanks all!

Have you considered a Cache? I have one in my DLBC (the old version with a flap instead of the zippers, but that shouldn't make a difference). I can't imagine using the DLBC without some sort of support (that the Cache provides, even when empty).

Comment

Not the best fotos, but a shot of the DLBC and the Sidekick together.
      I'm thinking if a Synic 30 with my DLBC and Side Kick could be a great combination for my upcoming travels. The DLBC fits inside the Synic as a packing cube, but doubles as day pack on destination.

The only way I organize my DLBC is with cubelets/stuff sacks/3D OC.
      Last edited by wolpertinger; 05-06-2022, 12:47 PM.

Comment

When I use the DLBC (400d Halcyon), I often have a magazine or book or Kindle in the back zip pocket or inner flap pocket. My Kindle in case can also fit in the front diagonal zip pocket.
        The main space usually has an E/T Cubelet that moves bag to bag.
        A 16oz Nalgene bottle can fit upright in the main compartment and also, depending on what you pack, in one section of the front zip pocket.
        Small things can go in the smaller front pockets or a Cubelet or Ghost Whale... Just depends on what I want to carry.

Your surface should provide a lot of rigidity to the bag, but I would use a cache or minimalist case for it since the bag doesn't have padding.

Here's a quick pic of mine with a SK stuff with towels, a Nalgene, and trade paperback book in main compartment... Kindle in the back.

You can stuff the DLBC so that it looks like a football...I prefer to keep it more compact and use the organization that's built in, other than what I already mentioned.

Let me know if you want to see the E/T Cubelet and/or SE in there. I have one of most TB org items though not the cache, I prefer separate cushioned sleeves.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220506_194709633.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	339823
        I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Thank you for the photos and the quick responses. I should have mentioned that I’m 100% planning to get a cache or cushioned sleeve. The Tom Bihn folks recommended a 12B size for a Surface tablet. But, I was also thinking that something with a bit more cushioning might be even better for this bag. Your photos show the SK easily fits. And, the 16 oz Nalgene is the water bottle I had planned to use so your photo is exactly what I was thinking of right down to the SK in nightwalk (such a good color). I hadn’t considered that the water bottle might fit in one of the front pockets or using a E/T cublet.

Comment

The bottle fits in the front divided pocket but better in the main. I've only put it in the front when the main contained mostly soft flexible things.

The DLBC fits into other travel bags flat or rolled and makes a good minimalist laptop bag for the work day and then a great walking around bag for later.
            Pre covid I brought it along a lot when I was flying to a location for several days of work and staying an extra day or weekend to play tourist. I usually carry it cross body on my back, with the single pocket facing out, for more security... Though I'll say that I've traveled a lot of places and never actually had a bag snatched or pick pocketed.

And I love my E/T Cubelets for bag in bag organization... I keep the small strap rolled up in the exterior pocket in case I want a minimal EDC and use the grab handle for when it's BIB
            I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
              When I use the DLBC (400d Halcyon), I often have a magazine or book or Kindle in the back zip pocket or inner flap pocket.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220506_194709633.jpg Views:	101 Size:	1.89 MB ID:	339823
              Totally off topic, but is that Jennifer Ackerman's The Genius of Birds book? Oh my, good packing (and reading) material!
              Last edited by Tonya; 05-08-2022, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Tonya yep, Jennifer Ackerman! I love her writing and I really enjoy good nature writers. Bernd Heinrich is another good one!

Comment

Working...
                X