Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,998   Posts: 193,796   Members: 6,896   Active Members: 242
Welcome to our newest member, Kimiko.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daylight Briefcase mod - dividing interior elastic pocket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daylight Briefcase mod - dividing interior elastic pocket

The large, elastic interior pocket of the DLBC was getting caught on my hand and items every time I reached into the bag, and I really didn't have much use for it, so I made a slight modification. I thought that I'd share here in case anyone else struggles with this pocket. Plus, having two interior pockets is much more useful to me.

All I did was add a hand-sewn straight stitch down the middle of the pocket. The only suitable thread that I had on hand (thick, UVA-safe poly thread for outdoor applications) is tan, but it's not visible on the outside of the bag so no biggie. Of course, a matching thread would be preferable but I'm frugal and used what I had. Also, a curved needle might have made things a bit easier, but the only ones that I have are too large for this thread. A straight needle worked fine.

I can't figure out how to upload photos in order, but hopefully you can see in the photos what I did. There are initially two chalk lines because I thought that I might do a double stitch, but I decided that this was unnecessary. I just reinforced the stitching at the elastic and think this is sufficient. In order to have room to work around the TB stitching that divides the front zippered pocket, my stitching had to be a bit off center, but I like how this divides the elasticized pocket into smaller and larger sections. Although these might be a bit hard to see, I also included exterior and interior shots of the finished stitch. If you ever try this, my only tip is to begin at the bottom of the pocket and stitch toward the elastic so you can keep adjusting the pocket to stay on-center as you stitch. I could have pinned the pocket in place before stitching, but I didn't want to puncture the fabric coating any more than necessary.

If I ever decide to remove this modification, it should be easy although I don't know if the thread holes will remain. Probably, but I don't plan to ever remove it, so I'm good with it!
    Attached Files

I borrowed your idea and modified my new Aubergine/Cobalt DLBC (no returning it now!).
    I have a spool of blue upholstery thread on hand, so I used that. I purposely stitched off center and pulled the left side a bit taut, allowing the elastic to blouse a little on the right. The SCB FS fits perfectly in the left pocket, my large sunglasses case in the right. Thank you for sharing your great idea, Tonya!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	3C3AA61F-DAEF-4593-8202-3D8A152ACE27.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	340837

Name:	5769F02E-234A-407B-A087-62DC8EEC0F1D.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	340836

Name:	A96DC5B1-5600-4C41-A65A-C8A50E2DF32B.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	2.41 MB
ID:	340835
    Attached Files

Comment

Wanderlust77 Oh I like the stitch even more off center, the way that you've done it! I might have to redo mine haha! Because I suppose you might can see the SCB FS in my photo also, right? Although I usually carry the FS sideways in the outside large zip pocket. It gives the bag a bit of structure also.

Comment

I haven't posted or even been on the forums for what seems like an eternity. Glad I popped in today. What an amazing idea. Definitely one I'm considering. It should also help me improve my sewing skills (what little I have). Thanks for posting!

Comment

Originally posted by Tonya View Post
          Wanderlust77 Oh I like the stitch even more off center, the way that you've done it! I might have to redo mine haha! Because I suppose you might can see the SCB FS in my photo also, right? Although I usually carry the FS sideways in the outside large zip pocket. It gives the bag a bit of structure also.
          I did spot your SCB FS and thought I’d give it a try! I haven’t used my DLBC yet, and may end up changing it around, but for now, I like how it turned out.

Comment

Originally posted by sujo View Post
            I haven't posted or even been on the forums for what seems like an eternity. Glad I popped in today. What an amazing idea. Definitely one I'm considering. It should also help me improve my sewing skills (what little I have). Thanks for posting!
            You're very welcome! I have very little sewing skills, so if I can do it, anyone can.

Comment

Thanks so much for sharing. I was just randomly googling as the inner pocket is the one bit of the briefcase that could be improved for me: it always flops out and gets in the way and would be much more useful as a divided pocket!

I’m definitely going to do this!
              Optimal Knapsack - one nerd's search for perfect travel gear.

Comment

That off-center pocket division is great. I can see putting an iPad mini or an A5 notebook in the big one, and a water bottle upright in the small one.
                Currently trying out a secondhand Red Blend S19 for EDC!

Comment

Working...
                X