Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,958   Posts: 193,173   Members: 6,835   Active Members: 287
Welcome to our newest member, sabrinuuh_001.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DLBC Front Section Troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moriond
    replied
    Originally posted by nolegrl View Post

Thank you! I never thought about the stuff sacks. I've got some smaller items in my cubelet (contacts, hair ties) and not having a zipper closure makes me a little worried they'll fall out. I've never used the stuff sacks though, so it could be more secure than what I'm imagining.

As an aside, the forum update is a nightmare for searching. I've tried searching things and people will link older posts that can't be found anymore so it just becomes a dead-end.
    Here's another option that was suggested in an old thread if you want a smaller organizer in the split pockets of the Daylight Briefcase:
    Originally posted by Ceres View Post
    Just another suggestion: I’ve purchased several PocKit organizers from Yellow Birch Outfitters (https://yellowbirchoutfitters.com/co...ons/the-pockit) and have been impressed with their quality. Although designed more for knives, multitools and the like they can easily be used for pens as well as a some Field Notes.
    This was in response to my comments that the (retired) Field Journal Notebook Organizational inserts could work as mini Freudian slips, and also would fit into the split front pockets of the Daylight Briefcase (although I usually didn't put them there)

On the old links (especially ones that appeared in my old posts), when you click on the link, even though you are not taken to a working page, because the vBulletin upgrade reindexed the thread number associated with a topic, if you check the URL that shows up there's usually enough keywords to reconstruct the title of the thread. For example, if some of the keywords in the links have the words Daylight Briefcase Organizational Strategies, I just do a search "daylight briefcase organizational strategies TOM BIHN forums" to find the current link. In many of my older posts I give the name of the linked thread as well as the link, so you can find it with that kind of search.

HTH

moriond

Leave a comment:

• G42
    replied

As an aside, the forum update is a nightmare for searching. I've tried searching things and people will link older posts that can't be found anymore so it just becomes a dead-end.
    I just open a new browser tab and use Google search and that brings up a lot of posts that you can cross reference and dig up things. Doesn't solve the problem of the missing photos, but sometimes people also had them on Flickr or something and they'll sometimes show up in the image search

Leave a comment:

• Chicagoan
    replied
    It’s too bad they don’t make the nano sized pouches anymore because those things were perfectly sized for storing SD memory cards!

I always prefer the zipper pouches and organizers over stuff sacks because it’s easy to unzip the top and see everything at a glance.

It’s tricky using the smaller sizes of stuff sacks to store things because trying to take inventory almost always means dumping the contents onto a table or floor, or into your hands.

Really happy to hear the Cubelet worked out! It also has o-rings on the sides of you wanted to clip it onto the bag for a little added security.
    Last edited by Chicagoan; 09-21-2022, 01:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nolegrl
    replied
    Originally posted by moriond View Post
    You can always use the Size 1 Travel Stuff Sack if you want something that can flatten, and you can attach the drawstring area to the O-ring above the pocket if you want to tether it as Chicagoan does. Use a triangle clip, double swivel carabiner, or just adjust the drawstring on the pull cord to hold a snaphook in place. You can also tether a few of these pouches together (there was a nano pouch at one time as well as the Mini). Some threads with pictures: Yarn stuff sacks vs Travel stuff sacks or Nano Travel/EDC Tray (@eWalker's solution in the share your bag hacks section -- more discussion after his post) etc. I think I have some more photos but after the forum update last spring and the JSON code for image I've found it unreliable whether I can get to the post or picture I want without doing multiple searches (e.g. sometimes the picture was in the post that I looked for but it magically no longer displays there so I have to find some other post where it was quoted in which it does display).

Also, what used to be the XS (now called Small) Eagle Creek Silnylon cubes can be used but they're slippery and tend not to hold shape, but are good for putting in items that you don't want to snag (silk scarf bits, etc.)

HTH

moriond

Thank you! I never thought about the stuff sacks. I've got some smaller items in my cubelet (contacts, hair ties) and not having a zipper closure makes me a little worried they'll fall out. I've never used the stuff sacks though, so it could be more secure than what I'm imagining.

Leave a comment:

• moriond
    replied
    You can always use the Size 1 Travel Stuff Sack if you want something that can flatten, and you can attach the drawstring area to the O-ring above the pocket if you want to tether it as Chicagoan does. Use a triangle clip, double swivel carabiner, or just adjust the drawstring on the pull cord to hold a snaphook in place. You can also tether a few of these pouches together (there was a nano pouch at one time as well as the Mini). Some threads with pictures: Yarn stuff sacks vs Travel stuff sacks or Nano Travel/EDC Tray (@eWalker's solution in the share your bag hacks section -- more discussion after his post) etc. I think I have some more photos but after the forum update last spring and the JSON code for image I've found it unreliable whether I can get to the post or picture I want without doing multiple searches (e.g. sometimes the picture was in the post that I looked for but it magically no longer displays there so I have to find some other post where it was quoted in which it does display).

Also, what used to be the XS (now called Small) Eagle Creek Silnylon cubes can be used but they're slippery and tend not to hold shape, but are good for putting in items that you don't want to snag (silk scarf bits, etc.)

HTH

moriond

ETA: I think there are also some small pocket organizers that will fit into those pockets --- some of them were discussed as inserts for the pocket in the Everyday Cubelet. I don't personally use them in the DLBC front split pockets.

Last edited by moriond; 09-21-2022, 12:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nolegrl
    replied
    Originally posted by G42 View Post
    nolegrl
    If you have time, please post some pics! We love pics, they're so helpful for everyone and easy to recall
    I just added pictures to my posts.

Leave a comment:

• Chicagoan
    replied
    The cubelet worked great! It fit everything except the wipes, but I can put the wipes in the other pocket by themselves, easier access too. Even when it was full it didn't bulge into the main compartment like the 3d organizer did. I'm going to order another one at some point for this bag since my current cubelet lives in my purse. Thanks everyone!
    Great work, TB Forums!

Leave a comment:

• nolegrl
    replied
    Originally posted by G42 View Post
    nolegrl
    If you have time, please post some pics! We love pics, they're so helpful for everyone and easy to recall
    Sure thing. I'll post some shortly.

Leave a comment:

• G42
    replied
    nolegrl

Leave a comment:

• nolegrl
    replied
    The cubelet worked great! It fit everything except the wipes, but I can put the wipes in the other pocket by themselves, easier access too. Even when it was full it didn't bulge into the main compartment like the 3d organizer did. I'm going to order another one at some point for this bag since my current cubelet lives in my purse. Thanks everyone!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220921_152650.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	2.63 MB
ID:	342961

Name:	20220921_152707.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	342962

Name:	20220921_152720.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	2.54 MB
ID:	342963
    Last edited by nolegrl; 09-21-2022, 12:36 PM. Reason: Added Pictures

Leave a comment:

• nolegrl
    replied
    Originally posted by dirkhaun View Post
    I feel you While I love my DLBC, these front pouches have always been a bit of a head-scratcher to me. They somehow seem to not be quite compatible with the available TB pouches.

The big front pouch (with the zipper on the side) is really only useable for flat objects, IMO. A small Ghost Whale will fit, but not really use the space well. The A5 GW doesn't fit. Same with the Clear Organizer Pouches - Small, Double, or Pen/Pencil will fit but leave space unused; Medium is too big. And it doesn't even have an O-ring!?

The two puches behind the horizontal zipper will just about fit a Cubelet, if it isn't too stuffed. Or go with GWs (up to Small) or COPs (up to Small or Double, but not Pen/Pencil) there. At least those 2 pouches have O-rings.
    Glad I'm not the only one! I'll give a cubelet a try, that should easily fit all the stuff in my 3d organizer cube. I can also look into the organizer pouches too.

Leave a comment:

• nolegrl
    replied
    Originally posted by Chicagoan View Post
    Yeah, I’d agree with dirkhaun. That front diagonal slash pocket is weird. I thought I read a long while back they designed it with an e-reader in mind, but I don’t know why you’d want to store an expensive electronic device in a place it could slide out and fall out of the bag if you forget to zip it (plus it’s the front most facing inside compartment of the bag and most prone to coming into contact with things).

When I briefly owned a DLBC, I kept a mini organizer pouch clipped into the right side and my house keys clipped into the left side (since they’re the front most facing compartments and those two items are the ones I need to access most).

I don’t like to store things mixed in with my keys, but I did fill in the space around the wallet pouch with a pair of sunglasses, a couple ballpoint pens, lip balm, and a pocket comb.

One thing I have learned is that the bags which work best for me are the ones that seem to organize themselves intuitively - if I find myself stuffing things randomly in pockets just because they fit, that’s usually the point where I print a return label and send the bag back (which is the point I’m soon approaching with my Cambiata).
    I wasn't even thinking of that pocket, but I agree it is a bit odd as well. I was just going to throw my phone in there and call it good.
    Last edited by nolegrl; 09-21-2022, 08:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• nolegrl
    replied
    Originally posted by Chicagoan View Post
    I’m not sure if others do this in addition to myself, but I usually connect my organizer pouches the o-rings using key straps, mostly because the extra reach allows a little more flexibility in how a pouch fits inside a compartment, as well as allowing me to remove the pouch from the bag. It’s a bonus that it’s physically attached to the bag so it’s harder to forget or lose.

Personally, my favorite pouch and size is the mini organizer pouch (they currently make them from Cordura). They’re not only big enough to fit cards, but I actually use one as my wallet! It fits cards, cash, a car key fob, lens wipes, finger bandages, and even a spare pair of contact lenses. I have a second one I keep in a drawer at home which holds all my flash drives from
    school. They’re a good size for a small item and fit more than you’d think, and aren’t so big they’re problematic getting into or out of a bag.

Also consider the regular, square-shaped Cubelets. Those things are super underrated and a good size for your use case.
    That's an interesting idea! I currently use their "clear organizer wallet" as, well, my wallet and it works wonderfully. I've never thought to use it with things that aren't close to flat, but it's something I'll consider now. I have a cublet lying around, so I'll give that a shot and see how it fits. Also, good call on using the o-rings, I didn't even think of it.

Leave a comment:

• Chicagoan
    replied
    Yeah, I’d agree with dirkhaun. That front diagonal slash pocket is weird. I thought I read a long while back they designed it with an e-reader in mind, but I don’t know why you’d want to store an expensive electronic device in a place it could slide out and fall out of the bag if you forget to zip it (plus it’s the front most facing inside compartment of the bag and most prone to coming into contact with things).

When I briefly owned a DLBC, I kept a mini organizer pouch clipped into the right side and my house keys clipped into the left side (since they’re the front most facing compartments and those two items are the ones I need to access most).

I don’t like to store things mixed in with my keys, but I did fill in the space around the wallet pouch with a pair of sunglasses, a couple ballpoint pens, lip balm, and a pocket comb.

One thing I have learned is that the bags which work best for me are the ones that seem to organize themselves intuitively - if I find myself stuffing things randomly in pockets just because they fit, that’s usually the point where I print a return label and send the bag back (which is the point I’m soon approaching with my Cambiata).
    Last edited by Chicagoan; 09-21-2022, 08:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dirkhaun
    replied
    I feel you While I love my DLBC, these front pouches have always been a bit of a head-scratcher to me. They somehow seem to not be quite compatible with the available TB pouches.

The big front pouch (with the zipper on the side) is really only useable for flat objects, IMO. A small Ghost Whale will fit, but not really use the space well. The A5 GW doesn't fit. Same with the Clear Organizer Pouches - Small, Double, or Pen/Pencil will fit but leave space unused; Medium is too big. And it doesn't even have an O-ring!?

The two puches behind the horizontal zipper will just about fit a Cubelet, if it isn't too stuffed. Or go with GWs (up to Small) or COPs (up to Small or Double, but not Pen/Pencil) there. At least those 2 pouches have O-rings.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X