Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,955   Posts: 193,150   Members: 6,831   Active Members: 281
Welcome to our newest member, AndreasClu.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gatekeeper connector strap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gatekeeper connector strap

Hi, I want to bring a hip belt for a side kick on a trip, but not attached to the side kick. Basically, I'd like to use the hip belt and a 'connector' as a compression belt around my T30 and then have it available at my destination. So what I'm looking for is a simple strap with loops at both ends. I've looked through the parts section and don't see anything that'd work as a connector. Am I missing something?
    Synik 22, Truck, Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC HLT2, Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

I don't think there's a specific part for that type of use case.

On the assumption that you have the waist belt buckles snapped together, you're left with two Gatekeeper ends that you need to join together, right?

You could sew together a loop of 1" fabric or webbing sized to bridge the gap or get the luggage strap https://www.tombihn.com/products/rol...15629632307263 and use that as the loop or possibly the 12" waist belt extenders https://www.tombihn.com/products/par...40423397621949

You'd have to check all the dimensions to see how it would fit. I'm not sure how much effective 'compression' you'd get since they're 1" webbing
    “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
    “Sir?”
    “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
    “Sir?”
    “That’s practically zen.”
    -Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Comment

If you have a spare Gatekeeper Waist Strap lying around, you can “hack” one into a continuous belt - attach each clip to the strap just past the opposite clip, like in the picture below.

But I don’t think the waist strap is long enough to wrap entirety around the circumference of a T30.

They do sell a strap made to wrap around your bag so it stays upright and atop a suitcase - but that won’t be compatible as a waist belt for the SK.

Theoretically you could daisy chain enough Gatekeeper Waist Straps together to make one long enough to encircle the T30, but at that point (even if you have enough extra lying around at home) I’m not sure how useful it would be to have the extra waist straps once your reach your destination.

So far as compression goes, trying to compress the volume of an entire bag by cinching it in the middle with a strap would be like trying to go down both a shirt and pants size by tightening your belt - you’d need consistent compression across the main compartment to make the effect worthwhile.

Click image for larger version  Name:	337A3942-0275-4787-861B-1256571EC29D.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.78 MB ID:	343178
      Last edited by Chicagoan; 09-28-2022, 06:47 PM.
      I own a LOT of Tom Bihn bags, but here are the ones I'm using right now:
      Everyday Carry: Cambiata
      Hiking Daypack: ADX31

Car and Plane Travel: CP, TS, and SZTSB

Comment

Originally posted by Traveltech View Post
        Hi, I want to bring a hip belt for a side kick on a trip, but not attached to the side kick. Basically, I'd like to use the hip belt and a 'connector' as a compression belt around my T30 and then have it available at my destination. So what I'm looking for is a simple strap with loops at both ends. I've looked through the parts section and don't see anything that'd work as a connector. Am I missing something?
        I'm not quite sure what you're asking for. There is the SIMPLE ROLLING LUGGAGE LASH STRAP which is a 1.5" wide lash strap with buckle that is designed to go around bags like the T30 or A30.

There is also the SMART ALEC GATEKEEPER STRAP which is designed to secure items to the front or top of the Smart Alec via the webbing loops, but this is shorter than waist straps and will not go around bulky bags.

The GATEKEEPER WAIST STRAP is available in 1" ( and the drop down menu used to have an option for a 1.5" wide option for the Brain Bag --- the 1.5" option used to be available separate in Coyote for the Citizen Canine line for Skookum Dog products ). But again, this does not approach the length of the luggage lash straps and the ROAD BUDDY LASH STRAPS also won't be as long as the Simple Rolling luggage lash strap.

Parts has 1.5" Waist Belt Extender and 1" Waist Belt Extender but these won't make the waist straps a lot longer (Personally, I was interested in the Gatekeeper Strap options because I find most waist straps too long)

You can also try options like attaching to the Gatekeeper of various padded hip belt options (in black or coyote) 1" PADDED HIP BELT (for Synapse or Synik in black) or the Coyote 1" PADDED HIP BELT (for the Guide's Edition models); BRAIN BAG PADDED HIP BELT (1.5" Gatekeepers in black); GUIDE'S PACK PADDED HIP BELT (this is for Guide’s Packs purchased before 09/2019 with two Gatekeeper clips -- the design changed between 1 and 2 rows; and this is in Coyote); SHADOW GUIDE PADDED HIP BELT or PRE-2022 AERONAUT PADDED HIP BELT

​Parts used to sell 1.6" Single Gatekeeper Clips a long time ago, and you could join Side Effects, etc. via either 1" Single Gatekeeipers or 1.5" Single Gatekeeper Clips.

Finally, there a re other brands like HIP OR SLING STRAP FOR HIP SLING BAG with various options from Waterfield Designs.

And Tonya started a thread titled Gatekeeper strap for Daylight Briefcase? on 03-17-2022 which gave another suggestion from the TB Facebook group in the 2nd post for the 1.5" QUICK RELEASE FIDLOCK SLING STRAP

HTH

moriond

​​
        Last edited by moriond; 09-29-2022, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chicagoan View Post
          If you have a spare Gatekeeper Waist Strap lying around, you can “hack” one into a continuous belt - attach each clip to the strap just past the opposite clip, like in the picture below..

So far as compression goes, trying to compress the volume of an entire bag by cinching it in the middle with a strap would be like trying to go down both a shirt and pants size by tightening your belt - you’d need consistent compression across the main compartment to make the effect worthwhile.

thanks! I think this might work. I’m not expecting to compress the whole bag, just “slim “ the top enough to have it pass as a personal item on a flight.

thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Synik 22, Truck, Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC HLT2, Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Comment

Working...
          X