Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum software updates & news

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Forum software updates & news

    Since the Forums were upgraded, we’ve been hearing from folks who aren’t keen on the changes as a result of the upgrade: sometimes it can be just getting used to changes (I know I’ve had to get used to how things are different in the upgraded version!) but, as a result of that feedback, we’ve also been researching potential alternatives to this Forum software (that aren’t social media) just in case it’s not about getting used to the upgrade. So far, we haven’t been able to find a different software that we think would provide a better experience *and* would be something that we could take on as a project. (Building our own would be super fun but would take us away from designing new bags!)

    So, what we’ve been working on behind the scenes is figuring out ways we could modify the existing Forums to provide a better experience. (This work has been in conjunction with a new website design that we’re working on.) We’re limited in what we have control over in the structure of the Forums or the software itself, but we have a pretty long list of ways we can spiff up the look/feel and perhaps some functionality. That’s all still in the works and we hope to make those updates soon (it’s been busy here as we’ve gotten back to making bags and have devoted our efforts to finalizing and eventually releasing Tom and Nik’s various designs.)

    Just wanted to share that update and say…. feel free to continue to share feedback on what’s working, what’s not, and even share if you know of a cool Forum-type software that could work for a future Forum update. We might not always be able to respond, but we do read all of the feedback that’s shared and look into it or add it to our “fix it” list if it’s something we can fix.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

    Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

    #2
    For me, its not the look and feel I'm having a hard time with, its the functionality. Its very difficult to find new content. I have to go to notifications, then page down, then see the titles of new items, then if those don't interest me, I have to dismiss all notifications, and then it asks me are you sure each and every time. Many more steps than casually glancing down the left hand side to see what is new. I do however like the upload attachments feature, it used to be more cumbersome to upload pictures to a post.

    I regularly use another board powered by Vbulletin. What I like is that in addition to being able to choose/enter different forums, there's an option called "what's new" that does a reverse chronology of all posts. Sometimes a thread starts off in one direction, but goes in a completely different direction, so just looking at the title of a thread of often not enough. This "what's new" feature also lists the first line of the post, so its easier to know which items to skip.
    Getting to the point with too many bags to list them all. Current daily carry is a PickUp Truck and Everyday Cubelet. Love all my shop bags, ghost whales, cubelets. Hoping to travel again soon to use my A30 and co-pilot.

    Comment


      #3
      Agreed that it’s hard to find new content. I don’t remember what the page was called but there used to be a page that listed all the topics in order of most recent comments, in a compact view, with unread topics in bold. That page doesn’t seem to exist anymore and that was my preferred way of browsing the forums since it made it very easy to find new posts.

      Comment


        #4
        Also, it would be nice to have a link to the last page of a topic without having to scroll down to the bottom of the page.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by loma View Post
          Agreed that it’s hard to find new content. I don’t remember what the page was called but there used to be a page that listed all the topics in order of most recent comments, in a compact view, with unread topics in bold. That page doesn’t seem to exist anymore and that was my preferred way of browsing the forums since it made it very easy to find new posts.
          loma sturbridge Somehow I found and bookmarked this URL that (I think) gets you partway to where you want to go. If you're logged in, you only see the new messages posted since your last login. Does this help? https://forums.tombihn.com/search?se...ssage%22%5D%7D

          Comment


            #6
            user292372 That is super helpful, thanks!

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by loma View Post
              Also, it would be nice to have a link to the last page of a topic without having to scroll down to the bottom of the page.
              When you are in a sub-forum, you should see a little set of arrows to the right of the user name of the most recent post...if you click those arrows (see next to your name in the screenshot below) it should jump you to the last post



              Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 2.48.19 PM.png
Views:	269
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	333676

              Attached Files
              I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by sturbridge View Post
                For me, its not the look and feel I'm having a hard time with, its the functionality. Its very difficult to find new content. I have to go to notifications, then page down, then see the titles of new items, then if those don't interest me, I have to dismiss all notifications, and then it asks me are you sure each and every time. Many more steps than casually glancing down the left hand side to see what is new. I do however like the upload attachments feature, it used to be more cumbersome to upload pictures to a post.

                I regularly use another board powered by Vbulletin. What I like is that in addition to being able to choose/enter different forums, there's an option called "what's new" that does a reverse chronology of all posts. Sometimes a thread starts off in one direction, but goes in a completely different direction, so just looking at the title of a thread of often not enough. This "what's new" feature also lists the first line of the post, so its easier to know which items to skip.
                I use the "New Topics" link at the top left of the forums -- this shows any new topics OR topics that have new posts in them:

                Click image for larger version

Name:	newtopics.PNG
Views:	234
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	333794

                Comment


                  #9
                  Thanks, everyone, for the feedback shared here so far! It's been noted as we embark on a project of spiffing up the look/feel/functionality of the Forums. Hoping to share some updates soon as to how that's all going. In the meantime, feel free to continue to post feedback as it comes to mind.
                  Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

                  Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    If it is an option, it would be more convenient to move the "Mark Forums Read" button at or near the same level as the New Topics button and have it also appear on search result pages.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      At the top right where the page numbers say "2 of 14"

                      Could there be a button that says LATEST PAGE or similar.

                      ....having to type in the highest page number is a bit annoying

                      Comment


                        #12
                        This may be a wild wish, but is there any way to fix all the "page not found" and other cross posting issues? I love forums of all types (maybe I'm just that old!) partially because it's easy to time travel. I've loved looking back at early 2000s posts related to re-issued bags, for example. It gives me, a newer convert to the world of TB bags, a way to get a sense of how the bag was used in the past, ideas for modifications, etc. However, so many links are broken that it's frustrating at times.

                        The other thought I have is to create a main home page with fast links to new topics, maybe a bag of the day photo, and pinned announcements/fast guides. The current home page is all text- I think a friendly photo competition would generate new content and traffic, and cut down on some redundancy to have a central page with links to guides. (I realize the main website has some of these links, but I often have to dig to find them. I also see repeated questions about fabric choices on the facebook group- which is a different animal, of course.)

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Jlange View Post
                          This may be a wild wish, but is there any way to fix all the "page not found" and other cross posting issues? I love forums of all types (maybe I'm just that old!) partially because it's easy to time travel. I've loved looking back at early 2000s posts related to re-issued bags, for example. It gives me, a newer convert to the world of TB bags, a way to get a sense of how the bag was used in the past, ideas for modifications, etc. However, so many links are broken that it's frustrating at times.

                          The other thought I have is to create a main home page with fast links to new topics, maybe a bag of the day photo, and pinned announcements/fast guides. The current home page is all text- I think a friendly photo competition would generate new content and traffic, and cut down on some redundancy to have a central page with links to guides. (I realize the main website has some of these links, but I often have to dig to find them. I also see repeated questions about fabric choices on the facebook group- which is a different animal, of course.)
                          We haven't come up with a way to fix the broken links just yet, but we're still working on that (and consulting with a Forums expert who may be able to help!) Prognosis isn't good, but that doesn't mean we'll stop trying.

                          Love the idea of a spiffed up home page! We're working on something similar to what you describe (photo from a featured thread, pinned announcements.) I like the photo competition idea!

                          Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

                          Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Hey everyone!

                            Another heads up that SOMETIMES, the automatic spam detection system will get tetchy and flag your post as spam, even if it's not. Sometimes this seems to happen if you post & edit more than once, in a short span of time.

                            If that happens, just IM one of us Mods and/or wait about a day for one of us to notice and we'll 'approve' your post and override the spam detection system. Please don't get discouraged if it languishes for several hours, we're all in different time zones and may have other stuff going on...but it's rare that one or more of us doesn't do a thorough sweep of the Forums in a 24hr period.

                            Cheers
                            Last edited by G42; 07-20-2021, 09:47 PM.
                            I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X