Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,581   Posts: 188,347   Members: 6,547   Active Members: 296
Welcome to our newest member, Troy715144.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some good daypack selection advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smp315
    replied
    Look into the Airborne C-Ruck by Red Oxx (another great "made in USA" company like Tom Bihn!). It has a lot of versatility and is carry-on compliant. www.redoxx.com

Kata (as the previous poster stated) is well known for camera bags.

A friend of mine also has a Brain Bag and loves it.
    Last edited by smp315; 08-28-2007, 04:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pretzelb
    replied
    I'm searching for the "perfect" bag myself to meet similar demands as you. Have you looked at the Kata camera bags? I have their smallest backpack right now. It's great for protecting my SLR and 2 lenses but it's not good for much else. They make larger versions though. The primary reason for the bag is protection so it might not be what you want.

My Kata worked well as the carry on and fit under the seat in front of me with extreme ease. But now I may search for something more generic and protect my SLR and lenses with individual bags which then go in the main daypack.

Leave a comment:

• Dcislander
    started a topic Need some good daypack selection advice

Need some good daypack selection advice

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and want to thank you for your help in advance. I am in search of the ultimate travel daypack. After 2 North Face, Arc Teryx, LL Bean, Jansport (ugghhhh) and 3 or 4 more... I still have not found it.

The pack would serve two purposes for 3rd world travel:
    1. A great light daypack to lug my stuff around (book, camera and lens, sweatshirt, snacks) in cities, villages and safaris.
    2. A carry on for plane necessities plus electronics I would not put in my checked pack (camera gear, I pod, Epson P2000, Batteries...)

My buddy has a Brain Bag and it is sweet, but about 30% too big for what I need. Ideally, I need a backpack with 1700-2000 cu in, with some decent organization capabilities. Past packs have been too heavy, or a heavy load would sag the pack, too difficult to find things... the usual list.

I really like the Smart Alec, but worry that it is too small. I also worry about the single canister compartment when holding loose electronics. I keep my DSLR in a wrap, but just drop it into my bag. Small may be offset by great design and usable space though.

I was also looking at the Crumpler bags (no place for a water bottle) and the Timbuk2 Underground. Not really concerned about the cost, I would much rather spend the money and love the bag.

Can anyone relate any good or bad experiences with these packs, or make any other suggestions? Any and all help is much appreciated.

Thanks.
Working...
X