Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,632   Posts: 188,975   Members: 6,617   Active Members: 303
margaretcetera
Forum Member
Welcome to our newest member, margaretcetera.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Makers vs Pilot vs DLBC vs Cadet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the bag I'm considering : Makers, Pilot, DLBC and Cadet

Which one is the best ? Which one would you recommend for my need ?

I'm looking for a crossbody bag to carry everyday stuff. I need to store key, wallet, pens, iPad air or iPad pro, a notepad, a light jacket. Someday but rarely I will carry a bottle of water and a retina macbook pro 15 inch.

When traveling it will be use as a personal items with the aeronaut 45 carry on.

Also would you recommend ballistic nylon or dyneema for that bag ?

Thanks everyone for your help again.
    Makers
    18.18%
    Pilot
    50.00%
    Cadet
    11.36%
    DLBC
    20.45%

Hi math002!

Wow! I don't know if there is an answer to which is the best.

I think it comes down to which suits your organizational style? Which suits your way of carrying a bag?

Of the bags you mention, be aware that only the Cadet is designed to accommodate the 15" Retina MacBook Pro. It can fit into the Pilot, but it will be a tight squeeze. I don't think it will fit into the Daylight Briefcase or the Maker's Bag. My 13" Retina MacBook Pro inside the Cache just fits into the latter two.

I think both the Pilot and the Cadet will accommodate the other items you mention. The Pilot has a separate pocket for the water bottle, which is something to keep in mind.

The Pilot has several compartments, whereas the Cadet has one large main compartment and a front pocket with organizational pockets -- consider which manner of organizing suits your style.

Remember that you can always order both, try them in your home (don't remove the tags, and keep them in new condition), and see which suits you better.

Both the 1050d ballistic nylon and the Dyneema ripstop nylon feel and look wonderful! The former is tougher, and the latter is lighter. For most things that most people do, both will prove resilient in my opinion. So it comes down to personal preference.

I don't know if this helps, but don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions!
    -m

Comment

thanks maverick. it is very useful info.

I don't own a everyday bag right now. This will be my first one. Right now I don't have an organization style (I carry thing in my pants pocket, hand and random shopping bag so I would say that for now I'm really unorganized for now).

maybe best is the wrong word. which one is your personal favorite might be the right question ? Which one would you (personally) keep if you can only have one ?

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

I would tell you my personal favorite of that list, but unfortunately it would not fit the laptop you have.
        Let me ask, have you looked at the TB backpacks? Many of them have dedicated water bottle pockets, would fit your computer, and lots of other stuff. They have a range of sizes.
        ----
        All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
        Edmund Burke

Comment

At the risk of increasing your expense, I recommend that you plan on two. I came to TB for one backpack. I now have two backpacks and a briefcase. You're posting In a forum about bags. How likely are you to stop at one?

I actually learned a lot by using the TB bags and added to them one at a time. I also was coming from a "jam stuff together" system. I learned that I liked to create little bags/pouches for each purpose and then store them in a bag with a large open sections. I also learned that I like carrying less by planning ahead.

So except for that large laptop, I'd carry a DaYlight Briefcase in nylon. It carries what I need and meets your list. And I have a stuff sack inside that I use as "overflow" and clip to the briefcase with a carabiner. (learned the trick on the forum.). I like the small size that keeps me from overpacking. I love the bag. I liked the nylon colors and it is very light so I personally didn't need dyneema.

But that's just what works for me. I think all those bags work -- and I am infatuated with the Maker. I think it is smart to try a bag or even two with a plan to return one. And I agree with bchapin that a S19 or S25 make great EDC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Fulton
          Forum Member
          Last edited by Fulton; 12-05-2015, 09:01 AM.

Comment

I think I will bring my laptop in the back of the aeronaut when i travel (I have seen someone do it in a cache where the backpack strap are). so the 15 inch laptop won't be a problem . you can tell me your favorite

Yes i have seen the backpack and the synapse is really nice but I won't be able to use the backpack when traveling because the aeronaut will already be on my shoulder. And a backpack isn't the best type of bag for me to bring at work everyday.

thanks everyone

Comment

Just FYI, I tried my 15" rMBP in my Maker's Bag this morning (just to see -- I never carry it around as it's too heavy) and it's tight, but it fits. You do lose a side pocket and this is without a cache, so there's that. Might squeeze into a Dyneema bag with cache, though.

Comment

Originally posted by math002 View Post
                I think I will bring my laptop in the back of the aeronaut when i travel (I have seen someone do it in a cache where the backpack strap are). so the 15 inch laptop won't be a problem . you can tell me your favorite
                Well then. The best EDC and travel bag is (IMO) the ballistic Pilot. (Or its little brother the Co-Pilot.)
                Why?

1. It holds its shape well and sits up on its own. Here is my Co-Pilot on my desk -- the Pilot is the same. When I am sleeping in a hotel room or something I keep all my important stuff in it (wallet, phone, passport, etc.), and set it on the nightstand or floor next to me, so that if there is an emergency I can grab it and go. Sometimes I'm in situations where I don't even have a nightstand, and I just sort of set the Pilot next to me and live out of it. And at work it is just more convenient than having to learn it against something or hang it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0467 copy.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	297943

2. It zippers shut, so it is more rain resistant than bags with flaps on the top.

3. It has both a sturdy poron top handle as well as a shoulder strap. When the bag is heavy, sometimes it helps to switch up carrying methods. And in a crowded situation (think subway or the aisle of a plane), it's a good idea to grab the bag by the handle for a few minutes and hold it in front of you, so that you are not bonking people as you walk by.

4. Separate compartment for a water bottle or umbrella. I think the Maker's Bag might have this too. The Daylight Briefcase does not, and I don't think the Cadet does either.

5. SUPER easy for single hand access. I.e., if you are standing on a moving train and want to retrieve something, or reaching for a subway pass or ID, these are quick operations due to the zippers. Versus opening a flap and then trying to close it while you have said object in your hand.

6. Very secure. Nothing will fall out if the bag is at your feet on a plane, or on a security belt, and it's harder for someone to reach in and grab something. Of course, any bag can be made secure, but this one is by default.

And some cons:

1. As one of my coworkers pointed out once, it looks like luggage. Particularly in the ballistic, which is what I prefer because it stands up on its own.

2. The compartments make it less flexible than a bag with one large open space. (Though for me, the Pilot works well for what I would carry on a typical day, and the compartments give it a structure, which I actually like.)

Hope that helps!
                bchaplin
                Forum Member
                Last edited by bchaplin; 12-05-2015, 11:42 AM.
                ----
                All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
                Edmund Burke

Comment

Wow - that is a very tough question for me - seeing as I have all four!

Some thoughts I have based on your carry and my own use:

Cadet

This is the most professional looking so choose this bag if that is a high priority. It is very sleek and it fits all your current and future needs IMHO (including the 15" MBP as @Maverick wrote earlier). It is also the only bag of the 4 that has some built-in padding so you could go Commando with your laptop in a pinch (but not recommended to do all the time). I use it when I know I will be doing a formal presentation or meet VIPs. See this link for how it looks cross-body and across one shoulder:

The Gadgeteer review of the Cadet
                  Note: The version reviewed is an older version (main difference is that the cache system has changed in the new version to the cache with rails) = @moriond, correct me if I am wrong or missed something.

Pilot

This is one of the most versatile bags and is my go-to bag in the winter as it has dedicated fully zippered pockets for a thermos, etc and will keep things dry. However, it is more luggage like than the other options. I also will just barely fit you 15" MBP (read - maybe not much room left in the main compartment after putting this large a laptop) as per the following link:

Pilot or Cadet
                  Note: Other forum member have said that the Dyneema versions of the Pilot will stretch a bit more to accommodate the 15" MBP better than the ballistic version

Here is a picture of how I carry my Pilot in winter. I carry it a bit more "courier" style cross-body because it it so compact:

Maker's Bag

This is a great new bag and is perfect if you like the Messenger style. I am currently loving the Dyneema version. It can hold a lot! However, as @Brendabethman 's excellent post and picture shows, the 15" MBP, while able to fit, it may stretch that bag sides if put in a sleeve. As the top is not zippered shut and the bag is stretched, water may get in. The Maker's bag will fit everything else very well. If you have not already, see my post on it:

There's a new Dyneema bag in town - the Maker's Bag!

From that there, here is how the cross-body looks like:

DLBC

This bag is perfect if you want somthing lightweight and easily collapsible to put in your luggage or other bag (Bag in Bag scenario). I looks like it would fit all your regular carry. The bottle of water - maybe not depending on the size. The 15" MBP is definitely out.

I do not have any cross-body picture of the DLBC but the Tom Bihn video shows someone carrying it that way.

Tom BIhn DLBC Video

One other possible bag suggestion - the Ristretto.

It is my current favorite bag as I like the vertical orientation, it has a small footprint and easy to carry in crowded places. I also like the Messenger style. I really love this bag. You could fit in all you have listed except for the 15" MBP. Here are 2 picture of the bag on me:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ristretto_BlackSide.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	297944

Hope this helps!

Cheers!
                  TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

Originally posted by math002 View Post
                    In that case, I would go for the Maker's Bag. I have owned mine for less than 24 hours, but am already totally in love. It's more flexible than the Pilot IMO because of the lack of structure, but still very organized thanks to all the pockets and O rings. It is seriously an awesome bag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Brenda -- Not to hijack the thread, but is the maker long enough to hold letter-sized paper and still fit a thermos or water bottle? I can fit my Hydro Flask in my DLBC, but not if I have a thick file or two there.

Comment

Originally posted by Fulton View Post
                        Brenda -- Not to hijack the thread, but is the maker long enough to hold letter-sized paper and still fit a thermos or water bottle? I can fit my Hydro Flask in my DLBC, but not if I have a thick file or two there.

@Fulton, Not @brendabethman replying, but the answer is yes, you can fit letter-size paper folders and a water bottle in the main compartment. In fact, I can stuff one of those Mead Five-Star Binder folders into the zippered pocket of the main compartment, too.

HTH

moriond

ETA: I can't zip the pocket closed on that binder with the looseleaf paper and folders, but that's because the three rings stick up above the zipper level. But I can put that in the pocket, have a 22-oz water bottle in one of the sleeve holders, and still have room for more in the compartment. I'm not recommending this as a configuration; it's just one of the pack-ups that I tried with the Maker's Bag
                        moriond
                        Volunteer Moderator
                        Last edited by moriond; 12-05-2015, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
                          @Fulton, Not @brendabethman replying, but the answer is yes, you can fit letter-size paper folders and a water bottle in the main compartment. In fact, I can stuff one of those Mead Five-Star Binder folders into the zippered pocket of the main compartment, too.

HTH

moriond
                          As @moriond says, yes. I have a large organizer pouch with file folders and a Conigo water bottle in mine. Both fit with no problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

This could get expensive.

Comment

FYI...I have a 15 inch MacBook, and it does NOT fit in the backpack strap section of the A45. I've done it with a 13 inch, but the way the backpack section is, it is not wide enough.

On my last trip with my 15in, I put it in a pilot with no cache. It fit but it was tight.

If you must bring the 15 in, a backpack is a better option. Othwrwise, a pilot will work as it gives you some additional pockets for other items. I've had a co-pilot for years and just recently got the pilot. It's a great and efficient organizational bag.

Comment

Working...
                              X