Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,776   Posts: 190,660   Members: 6,660   Active Members: 268
Welcome to our newest member, frogmore.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2016 Wish List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would love a folding zip-top halcyon bag with shoulder handles - pretty much a zip-top Shop Bag. My SSB is my favorite personal item during flights, but I do wish the top wss a little more secure.

(And also I would love the return of Sitka. )
    Current Everyday Carry: S19 in Cloud/Island, 15C Cache, SE in Wasabi, SC in Fjord; Cubelets in Dawn, Canyon, and Grass, COW in Original Halcyon
    Current Travel Carry: A30 in Original Halcyon/Ultraviolet, DLBP in Nordic, PCSB in Sitka, Large TT in Sitka, SSK in Wasabi, 3DOC in Solar

Comment

Originally posted by BWeaves View Post
      The problem with any dedicated phone pocket is that phones keep changing shapes and sizes every couple of months, and I want my TB bag to last a lifetime.
      Eh, that's not really true. I understand that some people feel that way. But I'd wager that well over half of TB's customers have iPhones which haven't changed so dramatically in size over 10 years that you couldn't capture all of them using a single or maybe two pouches shaped like the Passport Pouch. Also it's not like 1) the bags aren't already being designed with phone-implied pockets which people seem okay with when they no longer fit their phone (SA Upper Modular, I'm looking at you…), and 2) a pouch like this could be repurposed for things besides a phone. It's not a fitted plastic case to be thrown away in 2 years time.

EDIT/ADDITION But more importantly, the market for these types of pouches, whatever is a dumpster fire. It's just piles of suck. If you want a protective case it seems like there are good options. If you want an occasional but purposeful case, yuck city.
      Last edited by MKEy; 09-29-2016, 11:42 AM. Reason: Addition.

Comment

Originally posted by MKEy View Post
        Eh, that's not really true.
        You haven't seen my purses. Each one had a little pocket designed for a phone. That pocket became useless when I changed phones. And none of the other pockets worked for the new phone, because the purse designer was not psychic enough to predict phone shape changes.

Anyway, I have NOT had a problem stashing my phone in a my TB bags. I've always found some pocket that was nice and quick and easy to get to.

I just don't want TB to put a dedicated pocket for a phone that is specific to a very certain shape of phone. So basically, I agree with you.
        Last edited by BWeaves; 09-30-2016, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BWeaves View Post
          You haven't seen my purses. Each one had a little pocket designed for a phone. That pocket because useless when I changed phones. And none of the other pockets worked for the new phone, because the purse designer was not psychic enough to predict phone shape changes.

Anyway, I have NOT had a problem stashing my phone in a my TB bags. I've always found some pocket that was nice and quick and easy to get to.

I just don't want TB to put a dedicated pocket for a phone that is specific to a very certain shape of phone. So basically, I agree with you.
          I don't have a purse (that I admit to), but I agree - I use the padded pouches to keep my phones in check and in my pilot, there's a pocket that would fit my 5" phone, but I use it for a 10k maH battery

Comment

1) The ability to order halcyon organizer pouches by specific color. I know TB's customer service always tries to accommodate requests, but it would be so much easier to plan out an order if I knew which colors of which sizes I would be getting.

2) The cordura straps on the Swift are a deal breaker for me (my wool clothes pill when exposed to cordura). I wish the Swift had parapack handles, or packcloth handles like the shop bags, but I'm sure some folks would then find them too slippery. I guess we can't have everything!

3) I would like to see a personal item that's a reversible transformer shoulder bag and backpack like the Hero's Journey top. That way, when you're two-bagging it with an A45/A30/Tri-Star/WF and the personal item, you can change your personal item configuration to match your carry-on (carry-on backpack + small shoulder bag or shoulder-carry-on + small backpack)

Comment

Originally posted by Fluff View Post
              2) The cordura straps on the Swift are a deal breaker for me (my wool clothes pill when exposed to cordura). I wish the Swift had parapack handles, or packcloth handles like the shop bags, but I'm sure some folks would then find them too slippery. I guess we can't have everything!
              Just curious, did you buy your Swift recently? The current batch of black cordura used on the Swift straps is way more abrasive than it usually is-- pretty nasty stuff. I've run coarse grit sandpaper over the handles and machine-washed the bag and the handles still feel very rough, although it's a big improvement. That said, there have been complaints around here about cordura and wool, generally.

TB used to make Swifts in parapack and those had parapack handles. From experience, you're certainly right about the slippery bit.
              Last edited by adalangdon; 10-01-2016, 10:10 AM.

Comment

3) I would like to see a personal item that's a reversible transformer shoulder bag and backpack like the Hero's Journey top. That way, when you're two-bagging it with an A45/A30/Tri-Star/WF and the personal item, you can change your personal item configuration to match your carry-on (carry-on backpack + small shoulder bag or shoulder-carry-on + small backpack)
                Oh, that would be cool!
                Navy/Iberian: A30, A45, Swift, SE Linen/Navy: SCB Olive/Burnt Orange: SCB Navy: DLBP Coyote/Navy: MF Verde/Ultraviolet: SE

Comment

Originally posted by adalangdon View Post
                  Just curious, did you buy your Swift recently?
                  No, I did not try a Swift from the most recent batches--I'm wary of all cordura making close contact with my clothes. Luckily for me there are halcyon DLBCs, DLBPs, and cafe bags.

I actually really like the "natural" canvas-like feel of Tom Bihn's cordura, but I will keep it to things like the wallets and pouches.

Comment

Originally posted by vkigus View Post
                    Oh, that would be cool!
                    That will be the coolest transformer. I want one please.

Comment

My "white whale" bag is a personal item that can be shoulder carried since, if you've got an A30/45 you'll likely be wearing that as your backpack since it's the bigger heavier bag, and now you need a hand-carry / shoulder-carry personal item.

It would have these features:

* ~25L
                      * shoulder-strap carry mode, but ideally all 3 modes (backpack, shoulder strap, hand carry)
                      * some organization, multiple pockets including a water bottle pocket
                      * Shaped to fit under the seat of most large airplanes (e.g., 737s)

- The NFTD comes close but it's too small and not arranged right; for me it's kind of too small for this, not shaped right for that.
                      - The Pilot is too small, but otherwise it's really close
                      - The WF is close but the organization isn't right and the 2 compartments chop up the space wrong for a personal item
                      - The Synapse 25 is great except no shoulder-carry / hand-carry option

The Smart Alec would be PERFECT especially given the front elastic for scrunch downs but, again, no side carry option ... I've been wondering I could vertically line one side of the main compartment with foam or plastic and then connect a shoulder strap to the gate keeper loops at the top and bottom to carry horizontal, with the foam keeping the bag from collapsing in the side-center ....

What I'd love the bag for is personal travel: an SA type bag could hold a change of clothes, shoes/sandals, headphones, electronics, etc. I like to wear jeans and running shoes on the airplane and then change to short / sandals when I get to where I'm going so my ideal personal item would easily handle that, but could be an over-night bag on it's own. The SA is also perfect with the elastic on the front for a coat, etc. If it only had a side-carry option!!!
                      Last edited by GrussGott; 10-15-2016, 09:25 AM.

Comment

I an patiently awaiting Brain Bag 2: Cranial Innovation. A re-imagined, refreshed Brain Bag that takes all of the awesome things about the BB and all of the awesome things about the Synapse, and all of the other awesome things I'm not thinking about, and turns it into the backpack I can't live without.

I really want a BB, but am having a hard time pulling the trigger due to my sense that something better this way comes.

Comment

A handle/shoulder strap for the Smart Alec, similar to the Hero's Journey clip on handle that could maybe attach to the bungie loops on the top, and/or a shoulder strap that could somehow attach (or, I guess, a way to attach an absolute strap to the SA)...

And a second chance at a fjord travel tray

Comment

I'd love to see a convertible Packing Cube Backpack. Maybe simply removable straps and clips so you can slip the straps on to wear as a backpack or as a shoulder bag? Rather than the zipper going completely around in an upside U as it is now, have it go from the bottom to the diagonal opposite or so? (so if you carry it as a shoulder bag you don't accidentally unzip and spill everything out).

I could see something clever, like a little loop (with a little clip?) at the top (where the current little handle is for the PCBP) where you thread the strap through, then clip the ends on the bottom -- voila, you get a backpack! Or unclip it, and clip on just one bottom, and clip the other end of the strap to that little loop and voila! A shoulder bag! That would be perfect!

Comment

I want a small or medium Cafe Bag-sized messenger, but I want it WITHOUT a flap over the top. It would be great if we could have a messenger with a zip across the top instead of a flap. I just don't like flaps on bags that I reach in and out of repeatedly over the course of a day.

Oh, if halcyon were to be available in white or grey (both with either black or grey grid stitching), that would be super sweet. Damn, I would love a white halcyon bag...
                              Last edited by ultravisitor; 11-18-2016, 10:17 AM.

Comment

1) The ability to order halcyon organizer pouches by specific color. I know TB's customer service always tries to accommodate requests, but it would be so much easier to plan out an order if I knew which colors of which sizes I would be getting.
                                Yes.

I ordered a cordura pencil case with a "well, we'll see how this goes" approach, and put "bright blue" in the color preferences box. I was hoping for turquoise or light blue or French blue or even a royal blue like Nordic (I knew to not expect Halycon). I got Navy. It's a bummer. shipping is too much relative to the size of the item to send back and reorder, so I'm just dealing with my disappointment. I'll buy the "we'll choose a color for you" items on eBay or a resale group. I wanted something bright I could spot easily, not something that blends in with everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X