Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,774   Posts: 190,629   Members: 6,655   Active Members: 261
Welcome to our newest member, basil.bourque.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brain Bag with Dyneema Lining?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brain Bag with Dyneema Lining?

Is there a chance that the BB will someday be made with a Dyneema lining? Maybe even Nordic dyneema?

I love the Dyneema lining in my S25, and I'm sorry that I missed the era of Nordic Dyneema. It's the perfect shade of blue.

Failing that, some brighter cordura lining options?

Originally posted by benh View Post
    Is there a chance that the BB will someday be made with a Dyneema lining? Maybe even Nordic dyneema?

I love the Dyneema lining in my S25, and I'm sorry that I missed the era of Nordic Dyneema. It's the perfect shade of blue.

Failing that, some brighter cordura lining options?
    Hi @benh, Nordic Dyneema was only ever used for the exterior of bags, since it is the heavier 400d weight of materials. The one exception was the time that they ran out of 200d weight Dyneema and had limited production runs of accessories like the Packing Cube Backpacks and Packing Cube Shoulder Bags (that could be used as external bags), along with travel trays and Shop Bags. (A lot of forum members were nervous about the reality of Darcy's announcement, since it happened to appear on April Fool's Day).

So, in summary, Nordic Dyneema was never used in the interior of bags unless there was no separate lining (e.g., the Shop Bags, Packing Cube Backpacks and Shoulder Bags, etc.

I don't have the Brain Bag, but the lining of that bag was always either Cordura or Parapack. And I don't believe there was a choice of the interior lining color, unlike the case for the Smart Alec and Synapses. Maybe another forum member who owns a Brain Bag can comment on this?

HTH

moriond

Comment

To the best of my knowledge it's been grey for a really long time, if not forever.

I'd be interested to know why its lining is parapack instead of dyneema. But one thing I've noticed is that parapack has almost consistently replaced 500d in bags where 500d was formerly an option, if you don't count the Id/Ego's last hurrah. Those bags never got the 500d lining "upgraded" to parapack IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks, folks. I think a Dyneema lining would be a great option for the BB, as would the ability to choose a lining color, even if not Dyneema.

Comment

I wonder if there's a reason from a technical/design standpoint why the bag hasn't ever been offered with Dyneema lining.
          Current EDC: S25 (BlkHyc)
          Current Closet: BB (Blk/Blk/Blk), SA (Blk/Blk/Iberian), UMP (Blk), TT(Island)
          Owner of All Day Ruckoff

Comment

I recall reading that the interior lining constitutes the partition between the two main compartments, which may bear on means, methods and materials. It also, to my inexpert eye, appears to be the most complex bag they make, which may also make a difference.

I really would like a brain bag, but I'd really prefer it with a Dyneema lining. Let's see if I can resist!

Comment

Also note that the 420d parapack lining is tougher than the 200d dyneema lining of the other bags.
              I do not know but that may be a reason the brain bag uses parapack as IMHO, it is supposed to be a maximum ruggedness type bag. Also, it was closest in strength/durability to the 500d Cordura used originally.

Cheers!
              TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

Working...
              X