Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,742   Posts: 190,283   Members: 6,602   Active Members: 265
Welcome to our newest member, Cycw95.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just when I thought I had it all figured out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ladyinblack1964
    replied
    I'm flying Icelandair from Newark to Heathrow, and then returning home from Gatwick.

Originally posted by Hawaii View Post
    Not sure what airline you are flying, but we always do united, and it is a LONG walk through the airport to your gate from checkin.
    I now make sure I always have a small carryon bag with wheels? A slightly bigger 23 inch suitcase gets checked.

Leave a comment:

• Hawaii
    replied
    Not sure what airline you are flying, but we always do united, and it is a LONG walk through the airport LHR to your gate from checkin.
    I now make sure I always have a small carryon bag with wheels? A slightly bigger 23 inch suitcase gets checked.
    Last edited by Hawaii; 03-16-2016, 08:16 PM. Reason: Added LHR

Leave a comment:

• bchaplin
    replied
    Just when I thought I had it all figured out...

If this helps at all, here is what I've been carrying around Belgium, in my Small Cafe Bag:

I feel that you should use the Co-Pilot you already have and just pare down the contents for the day. It will be useful on the plane and it's a very secure bag.

I guess I've done four "personal" trips that were major, non-family vacations, and this is the most comfortable I've been. I think it took tweaking my list over time to get to a point where I'm happy with it, so my feeling is that you shouldn't overthink it, because you will figure out what you need to carry and what you don't.

From top to bottom, left to right:

Booklet with personal info for the trip, and train pass. I'm not carrying this every day. All the info is also in Dropbox, but it can be useful sometimes to have it on paper.
    Cash and coins, back lower pocket of Freudian Slip
    Journal. Sometimes this is augmented with a smaller notebook I use for jotting logistical details.
    Receipts, in the back pocket of the Cafe Bag until I record them, and then they are trashed
    Lip balm
    Microfiber wipe
    Pens, in Freudian Slip pockets
    Small Freudian Slip
    Dutch phrase book, which I have not opened ONCE. Seriously, everyone here speaks English. Guess the situation will be the same in London
    Keys
    Nexus phone, aka Magic Google phone
    Not shown: iPhone. For photos and other stuff. Whichever phone I'm using at the moment lives in the back pocket of the Cafe Bag for quick access.
    Jackery battery bar, which I use every day because I rely on the phones for navigation and they lose battery quickly. The battery and cords fit nicely in the lower front pocket of the small Freudian Slip.
    Charging cords for phones to connect them to the Jackery
    Not shown: tiny pouch which holds my credit cards, securely strapped inside the Cafe Bag's front zippered pocket, under the flap.

When I travel my passport is there, but I don't carry it 100% of the time.

I haven't had to spend too much time digging for stuff, and this bag DID pass its first museum test.

Hope the formatting on this post is legible. I'm on my iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bchaplin; 03-16-2016, 02:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ladyinblack1964
    replied
    Hmmm...had not considered the DLBC.

Lots of great ideas here! thank you all for that, and for your good wishes re: my trip and my back. I don't think I've actually injured myself. I just think I may have aggravated something and it keeps recurring, probably because of my chair at work and my general bad posture. Hopefully it will calm down. This has all caused me to rethink what I'm carrying around every day and the reality of what I will need to carry around London, so it's not a complete loss!

Leave a comment:

• moriond
    replied
    Originally posted by Grandcache View Post
    You mentioned you don't think of yourself as a backpack person...have you considered the daylight briefcase? Just a thought...

Hope your back is on the mend so you can enjoy your trip. Safe travels! :-)
    Just for completeness, here's @bb93fo57's pictures showing a comparison of the Daylight Briefcase and the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag from a post (#179) in the middle of the (long) The Little Briefcase that Can Fit Almost Anywhere: early Daylight Briefcase review thread.

I happen to like the Daylight Briefcase, but this bag and its pockets works best when you are packing items that are flatter. On the other hand, like all of the Daylight series bags (Backpack or Briefcase), you can roll or fold these bags up when they're empty, and easily store them. So, I can fold a Daylight Backpack into thirds, and slip it into the back zippered pocket of the Daylight Briefcase, or I can stash an empty Daylight Briefcase in a Stuff sack, or put an empty Daylight Backpack folded in thirds inside a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (although it takes up nearly 40% of the space), and you can easily switch between different Daylight bags, and stash the Daylight Briefcase inside the Daylight Backpack that you took out of the its back pocket!

HTH

moriond

Leave a comment:

• Grandcache
    replied
    Another vote for Scottevest...if you don't like the idea of the trench coat, check out the vest. Same great pockets and it's comfortable even on warmer days.

You mentioned you don't think of yourself as a backpack person...have you considered the daylight briefcase? Just a thought...

Hope your back is on the mend so you can enjoy your trip. Safe travels! :-)

Leave a comment:

• Meglet
    replied
    Originally posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post
    On occasion, I've considered the Cafe Bags. What always holds me back is the fact that you have to unsnap and unflap it to get into it. Then there's that whole getting-used-to-a-crossbody thing.

But actually, last year, before I bought my Swift, I was considering a MCB. there is something appealing about the CBs.
    I usually leave my Cafe Bag unsnapped if I'm going to be in and out of it a lot, or just wiggle stuff out through the corners at the top.

For cross-body, it does take some getting used to but I found what works best is to let the bag "hug" your hip instead of being beside or in front of you. Depending on the size of the bag I sometimes even wrap it all the way around to my back for easier carrying.

Leave a comment:

• ladyinblack1964
    replied
    On occasion, I've considered the Cafe Bags. What always holds me back is the fact that you have to unsnap and unflap it to get into it. Then there's that whole getting-used-to-a-crossbody thing.

But actually, last year, before I bought my Swift, I was considering a MCB. there is something appealing about the CBs.

Originally posted by Meglet View Post
    Another vote for downsizing (downweighting?) what you carry, although that is often easier said than done especially when talking about carrying water, daily supplies, etc. But it is also always a surprise to see just where some of that weight comes from, and how you can change things out to lighten the load.

I saw you mention consideration of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, which sounds like a good option. Have you also considered a Small Cafe Bag? Or maybe even a Medium Cafe Bag? I'm with you in that the Side Effect is too small, but I find a Small Cafe Bag to be perfect for water bottle, cell phone, wallet, small camera. . . . and the bag itself is extremely light and flexible which is a big plus. Depending on what exactly you carry a Medium might be a better fit (I use a Medium to carry my Surface Pro 3, water, charger, iPhone, snacks. . .) and it may be that part of what you need is to lighten the actual bag, not just what you carry in the bag.

Leave a comment:

• Meglet
    replied
    Another vote for downsizing (downweighting?) what you carry, although that is often easier said than done especially when talking about carrying water, daily supplies, etc. But it is also always a surprise to see just where some of that weight comes from, and how you can change things out to lighten the load.

I saw you mention consideration of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, which sounds like a good option. Have you also considered a Small Cafe Bag? Or maybe even a Medium Cafe Bag? I'm with you in that the Side Effect is too small, but I find a Small Cafe Bag to be perfect for water bottle, cell phone, wallet, small camera. . . . and the bag itself is extremely light and flexible which is a big plus. Depending on what exactly you carry a Medium might be a better fit (I use a Medium to carry my Surface Pro 3, water, charger, iPhone, snacks. . .) and it may be that part of what you need is to lighten the actual bag, not just what you carry in the bag.

Leave a comment:

• tpnl
    replied
    I find with heavy shoulder bags, how high you carry them has a secondary (or perhaps primary in some cases) impact on whether your shoulder / back feels pain at the end of the day or a few days later. If, when I carry it, it is bouncing up and down or is constantly smacking my side or back area, I find there is more chance of back pain later on due to the shock / vibration my body feels every time I take a step and the bag 'hits' my side or bounces on my shoulder.

I find this with my Ristretto - accentuated more because of the vertical nature of the bag (greater swing length than a horizontally oriented bag). I find that if the bag is heavy, I am better off shortening the shoulder strap so it is more snug to my body. This applies to all heavy bags - not just TB ones.

I had a similar experience with my Tri-Star at the airport. The Absolute Strap extended all the way was very bouncy and my shoulder / back became a shock absorber and I was feeling it!. So, I just shortened the strap so the top of the bag was just above my waist and it was fine after that.

May or may not fully help but may reduce the issue.

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 03-15-2016, 08:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ladyinblack1964
    replied
    Not silly at all. I always carry it one-shoulder. I sometimes do try to do it crossbody, but I always feel like it's kicking forward with every step. Just a personal weird thing with me, but I don't like that feeling.

I do think there's a couple of items in my EDC that can go. Although I always think I've downsized as much as I can!

Originally posted by yugyag79 View Post
    I'll ask a potentially very silly question (as a former back pain sufferer and someone who has been post surgery for a couple of years)....

How are you currently carrying the CP? Even with my post surgery back, I find that if I one-shoulder anything for very long it does me no favors (i.e. after some attempts, I realize I need to use my A45 in backpack mode whenever possible). If you are carrying this way, I'd consider going crossbody to see if that helps you out.

That said, I also agree with @giantsteve. The more you can downsize what you carry, the better--- regardless of the size of what you carry it in.

Wishing you good (back) health!

Leave a comment:

• Amy
    replied
    You know what is really funny? Last summer I bought a French Blue DLBP. It was gorgeous, but I returned it. I didn't think it was large enough to take to my grad school residency. When i put a lightweight sweater in it, it seemed to eat all the space.

Perhaps the Dyneema would work better. I see it is out of stock at the moment.
    I haven't tried a cordura DLBP before, but I find the dyneema one plenty roomy for both anything I'd carry traveling as well as everyday work stuff. Also, as much as I love all those bright colors, I find the black dyneema to be the most versatile since it draws very little attention to itself and goes with all colors.

Leave a comment:

• yugyag79
    replied
    I'll ask a potentially very silly question (as a former back pain sufferer and someone who has been post surgery for a couple of years)....

How are you currently carrying the CP? Even with my post surgery back, I find that if I one-shoulder anything for very long it does me no favors (i.e. after some attempts, I realize I need to use my A45 in backpack mode whenever possible). If you are carrying this way, I'd consider going crossbody to see if that helps you out.

That said, I also agree with @giantsteve. The more you can downsize what you carry, the better--- regardless of the size of what you carry it in.

Wishing you good (back) health!

Leave a comment:

• moriond
    replied
    Thanks, Moriond. My camera isn't very big. It's in the "small point and shoot category" and fits in the mini or small padded pouch. The photo is very helpful!
    Realize that I'm showing you the pictures of the Packing Cube Backpack inside the Pilot's back pocket, because those are readily up on the web site for viewing. The PCSB does fit inside the main compartment of a Co-Pilot if it isn't stuffed to the corners. I just can't easily take a picture at this time, so maybe somebody else can? It's also easier if your Ballistic Nylon Co-Pilot is older and softer (like mine) or if you're using a Dyneema Co-Pilot. New Ballistic Nylon is stiffer.

moriond

Leave a comment:

• moriond
    replied
    You know what is really funny? Last summer I bought a French Blue DLBP. It was gorgeous, but I returned it. I didn't think it was large enough to take to my grad school residency. When i put a lightweight sweater in it, it seemed to eat all the space.

Perhaps the Dyneema would work better. I see it is out of stock at the moment.
    I didn't embed more images from the linked Pilot fits into packing cube backpack and vice versa, but the next part of that thread asked whether the Pilot would also fit into the Daylight Backpack (in place of the Packing Cube Backpack), and I said "sure", gave one embedded picture to show how this looked, and then pointed the person to a link for more pictures and discussion. And, since the Co-Pilot is smaller than the Pilot, all those pictures (including the ones that I didn't try to embed here --- sorry, but that's a lot of cutting and pasting on a topic I thought was irrelevant to this thread, since you started out by stating that you didn't want to use a backpack) obviously will also work for a Co-Pilot.

By the way, I can also fold an empty Daylight Backpack (even a French Blue Cordura one) into thirds and insert it into a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. It takes up about a third to 40% of the space (for an empty French Blue Cordura DLBP). (These are hard to take good pictures of if you're only one person holding the bag open along with your iPhone and trying to show the interior.)

moriond

Leave a comment:

Working...
X