Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,777   Posts: 190,686   Members: 6,662   Active Members: 270
Welcome to our newest member, lesleypelka.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone bicycle commute with their bag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone bicycle commute with their bag?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone uses their bags while on a bike? If so which bag/s do you use? Do you use the stabilizer?
    Any tips?
    I have previously used a MCB without any stabilizer. I was caught I a downpour which included some hail, and most of my stuff stayed dry except for a few bits in the back outside pocket.
    The issue I have is the bag moving to the side, which is ok for short distance but gets annoying after a while. I also want to start carrying my camera!

Thanks in advance!!

I do! But I gave up one shoulder carry a long time ago. Backpacks for me now. Synapse and Smart Alec are both excellent commuter bags. I would definitely get a stabilizer strap.
    Aside from one sore shoulder, bag sway was another reason I gave up messenger bags.
    (I also wish TB bags all came with a light loop, and the ones that do were more universally sized. They're only sized for a Guardian Light, and frankly, I don't want to bike at night (I work in theater) with a light that runs on watch batteries. )

Comment

I used to commute all the time by bicycle with my Smart Alec - my back would get a little sweaty* in the summer time, so I started wearing a t-shirt and changing when I got to the office.

*the polite way of saying "incredibly sweaty"

Comment

For a while I commuted by bike and ended up putting a basket on the rear of the bike. No more sweaty back and my pilot fitted by basket perfectly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Comment

Important thing to note: Your riding position will make a difference to what kinds of bags sit well on you. I ride in an upright position.

I started out using panniers. Then, after the Parental Unit I'd bought to be a gym bag didn't work for me like that, I gave it a go as a cross-body messenger. The bag itself sits across the small of my back, with its Absolute strap cinched to almost its shortest length. The neoprene of the Absolute strap "conforms to the bust" and has enough friction that it doesn't slip too much, but I still adjust where the bag sits from time to time during a ride.

Comment

I commute with my Pilot which fits in my front basket.

Comment

Sure do! I used to ride an upright commuter bike (Breezer Uptown), 9 miles each way, with a Synapse 19. Worked well without the waist strap, but I did use the sternum strap. Depending on my load and the day, I could experience hand numbness on that bike, which sometimes was worse with the backpack. Now, I'm doing about 20 miles each way on a road touring setup with a Maker's Bag, but mostly put that in the front rack (Soma and Velo Orange porteur racks fit the MB perfectly, by the way), and occasionally wear it on my back with the waist strap. That actually works OK--I don't have a ton of sway with the strap--but will wear out my shoulder by the end of the day, and sometimes the back of the bag would get stuck on my saddle wedge because I'm too short to cinch the bag up past my hips. I will also do grocery runs on a Bikeshare with a SCB on my shoulder and groceries in the basket, but that's pretty annoying for anything over a short trip.

Comment

A couple of years ago, I lived in Albuquerque for several months of training. Because I did have a few books, I would put my synapse 19 in one of my back panniers. My bicycle locks, etc in the other. I would ride about 20 miles each day on the bicycle paths. I personally hate having anything heavy on my back.
                Synapse 19, Travel Tray, PCSB, Daylight Briefcase, all in Dyneema, Side Effect and pouchmania

Comment

The Co-Pilot fits nicely in a Wald 582 folding basket, or if I've got other stuff that needs to go in the rear baskets, then it goes in my front basket. I pretty much won't ride with something on my back outside of dire necessity, and it would be awesome if there were a Tom Bihn bag specifically designed for on-bike carry. I ended up switching from panniers to basket and bags just so that I could easily carry the bag I like having with me every day whether or not I'm on my bike. (Having to bring both panniers and any bags inside them with me when I get off the bike is a hassle, but the baskets can stay on the bike.) Design and construction quality just isn't as good with any of the dedicated bicycle gear manufacturers.

Comment

Working...
                  X