Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,501   Posts: 187,536   Members: 6,460   Active Members: 325
Welcome to our newest member, knelby.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Synapse backpack: Q & A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by residue View Post
    looks great. i'd really like to see pictures of the black/steel and the dyneema.
    To get an idea of the structure of the Dyneema version, you can look at the Packing Cube Backpack (Tri-Star/Western Flyer) design, and the earlier Original Packing Cube Backpack for the Aeronaut. The part of the bag that rests against your back is probably constructed the same way as the Cordura Synapse versions, though.

For an impression of the black/steel color combination, look at the same combination on the Aeronaut pages. To judge navy vs indigo, examine the color combinations (with navy or indigo) shown on the Buzz and Swift pages, or look at the indigo Side Effect.

Comment

Great work! Looks really nice. Going to be tough deciding between grey, navy and olive.

Could we find out the dimensions of the main compartment? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
        To get an idea of the structure of the Dyneema version, you can look at the Packing Cube Backpack (Tri-Star/Western Flyer) design, and the earlier Original Packing Cube Backpack for the Aeronaut. The part of the bag that rests against your back is probably constructed the same way as the Cordura Synapse versions, though.

For an impression of the black/steel color combination, look at the same combination on the Aeronaut pages. To judge navy vs indigo, examine the color combinations (with navy or indigo) shown on the Buzz and Swift pages, or look at the indigo Side Effect.
        thanks. for some reason i thought it was going to be a two tone like the smart alec. i guess i'd consider navy or dyneema since i don't want a completely black bag on the outside.

Comment

Originally posted by residue View Post
          thanks. for some reason i thought it was going to be a two tone like the smart alec. i guess i'd consider navy or dyneema since i don't want a completely black bag on the outside.
          I should have added that another good page to use for checking colors is the small cafe bag product page which, together with the Swift product page, has the most comprehensive range of colors in Cordura. There are nice pictures of bags in navy, black/steel, kelly/steel combinations, etc. The pages I originally linked for the Swift and Buzz are useful for seeing what these colors look like against the black zippered areas, and the Buzz page is also a good page for seeing the crimson cordura.
          Last edited by moriond; 09-05-2009, 07:00 PM. Reason: Added color combination details for reference pages.

Comment

I am totally excited. I just maxed out my credit card paying for surgery for my dog but I don't think I can wait much longer for this bag. I am still going to get the plum. I love the color of my side effect.
            I'm curious about the dyneema though. I have knitting sacks in each color so I know what they look like but I'm having trouble picturing them in a thicker, backpack.

Comment

Originally posted by mrae View Post
              I am totally excited. I just maxed out my credit card paying for surgery for my dog but I don't think I can wait much longer for this bag. I am still going to get the plum. I love the color of my side effect.
              I'm curious about the dyneema though. I have knitting sacks in each color so I know what they look like but I'm having trouble picturing them in a thicker, backpack.
              hi mrae,

my synapse is indigo, and the solar dyneema looks great with it! i held up my plum side effect next to the solar dyneema, and that also is a wonderfully pleasing combination. you can do the same with your plum side effect and solar knitting sack.
              -m

Comment

looks awesome. in all the development talk i was afraid this would be too small, but i have been using an 11-liter pack all along with external pockets, so this would internalize all the external (and therefore visible) stuff. Looks great. I think the Navy is calling my name...

Maverick, Tom, or Darcy-- two questions. 1) I'm a little over 6 feet and wear a 44 jacket; I'm assuming the fit will be fine (and probably better than what I have now); and 2) I have been known from time to time to hang some wet board shorts from outer webbing straps so that they hang behind me and dry in the air rather than wet everything in the bag. Is there anything on the outer bag other than the webbing loops on the front straps that would work for this, or, for example, am I looking at hanging an extra key strap out of one of the side pockets?
                Western Flyer (Crimson); 4Z Brain Cell; Swift (wife); Empire Builder (Black/Steel/Wasabi); Aeronaut (Black/Steel); Side Effect (Black), 3D Cube (Olive); lots of cubes/pouches/kit; Synapse (Navy/Solar); Smart Alec (Cardinal/Steel)

Comment

Originally posted by falconea View Post
                  Anyway, a specific question about size: our lunchboxes are 150 x 195 mm and we need them to sit flat in the backpack (on top of other things if necessary to create a flat base). Will it fit? It should from the outer measurements. I also need to fit in A4 papers (or a large pouch), flat. Will that fit?
                  The lunchboxes should fit, no problem. They're very familiar - I use lots of Pyrex at home.

The A4 papers will also fit, though they'll be hitting the top of the bag and may get a little scrunched up there over time.
                  Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Update: we should have a Steel Dyneema/Solar Dyneema Synapse to photograph late next week.

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Below: the main compartment of the Synapse. The thickness varies from 2-1/2" - 3-1/2".
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by keb View Post
                        I have been known from time to time to hang some wet board shorts from outer webbing straps so that they hang behind me and dry in the air rather than wet everything in the bag. Is there anything on the outer bag other than the webbing loops on the front straps that would work for this, or, for example, am I looking at hanging an extra key strap out of one of the side pockets?
                        Keb, how about putting the board shorts in a wetbag & stashing it in one of the pockets?

http://www.wahmies.com/pages/wetbags.php

The regular size would work well for board shorts. We got them for cloth diapering but now that those days are over we use them for swimwear. If you put sopping-wet swimsuits in it and leave it for hours and hours it will eventually dampen the outside of the wetbag, so you do want to wring things out pretty well & then put the wetbag in a separate pocket from your most prized possessions just to be safe, but they work pretty well and breathe better than putting your shorts in a ziploc to get all nasty. Plus board shorts don't hold as much water as women's swimsuits so it would probably work even better...

Comment

Preordered anyway!!

Originally posted by slinstar View Post
                          Keb, how about putting the board shorts in a wetbag & stashing it in one of the pockets?
                          Oh I do that too. I prefer to have them dry out while I am walking around. feels cleaner when I put them back on....

Moot point probably. I preordered a Navy/Solar with a couple of extra keystraps and I'll figure it out....
                          Western Flyer (Crimson); 4Z Brain Cell; Swift (wife); Empire Builder (Black/Steel/Wasabi); Aeronaut (Black/Steel); Side Effect (Black), 3D Cube (Olive); lots of cubes/pouches/kit; Synapse (Navy/Solar); Smart Alec (Cardinal/Steel)

Comment

weight saving?

I saw someone ask this earlier but I didn't see a response - will there be a significant weight difference between the dyneema vs. other options? And what are some of the pros/cons of the dyneema in this backpack?
                            Loving life with my Imago.

Comment

Originally posted by rodrigues View Post
                              I saw someone ask this earlier but I didn't see a response - will there be a significant weight difference between the dyneema vs. other options? And what are some of the pros/cons of the dyneema in this backpack?
                              hi rodrigues,

the dyneema version will be lighter, but i imagine that they will likely need to sew one before they can provide a weight. darcy mentioned late next week as a time frame for having a dyneema version ready to photograph.

i can't imagine other than weight and appearance, what other differences there might be.
                              -m

Comment

Hi,
                                Originally posted by maverick View Post
                                hi rodrigues,

the dyneema version will be lighter, but i imagine that they will likely need to sew one before they can provide a weight. darcy mentioned late next week as a time frame for having a dyneema version ready to photograph.

i can't imagine other than weight and appearance, what other differences there might be.
                                This is just speculation, but I imagine the weight will come out between the weight of the Cordura Synapse (1 lb, 8 oz -- or 680 grams) and the Packing Cube Backpack (9.2 oz -- or 260 grams). Since I imagine they will keep the same material for the back padding, and the bag is slightly larger and has more pockets than the Packing Cube Backpack, it might come in just under a lb.

moriond

Comment

Working...
                                X