Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,777   Posts: 190,655   Members: 6,660   Active Members: 268
Welcome to our newest member, frogmore.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Synapse backpack: Q & A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pros and cons

I didn't actually think there would be a difference in the style. I was more hoping to have a discussion about the pros and cons of the difference in materials. Is one more water resistant? Is the loss of rigidity going to make the bag harder to access the pockets or use in general? That sort of thing.
    Loving life with my Imago.

Comment

Originally posted by rodrigues View Post
      I didn't actually think there would be a difference in the style. I was more hoping to have a discussion about the pros and cons of the difference in materials. Is one more water resistant? Is the loss of rigidity going to make the bag harder to access the pockets or use in general? That sort of thing.
      hi rodrigues,

the dyneema/nylon rip-stop fabric will definitely be more water resistant, but that isn't to say that the 1000d cordura isn't sufficiently water resistant for normal use.

i don't think that rigidity or access to the compartments of the synapse will be of issue because of the integral structure of the bag. the 1/4" closed-cell foam used in the back panel of the synapse, along with the way the front compartments are constructed should help the dyneema synapse to keep its shape.
      -m

Comment

Question about bottom pocket?

Will the bottom pocket hold a rubbermaid Tupperware container that is 7"x7" I usually put my sandwich in there so it does not get crushed. If not, are there any other sandwich containers that would?

Thanks
        jmart

================
        Already own and love: Brain Bag w/ brain cell and freudian slip, Medium Cafe bag, and Aeronaut

Comment

hi jmart,

how high is the container? the bottom pocket is more long than it is squarish, and my concern is that 7" may be a bit of a squeeze in the narrower dimension.

this stainless steel container from lunchbots will hold a sandwich nicely, and will also fit in the bottom pocket of the synapse nicely. let me see if i can take a photo this evening in order to demonstrate.

Originally posted by jmart View Post
          Will the bottom pocket hold a rubbermaid Tupperware container that is 7"x7" I usually put my sandwich in there so it does not get crushed. If not, are there any other sandwich containers that would?

Thanks
          jmart

================
          Already own and love: Brain Bag w/ brain cell and freudian slip, Medium Cafe bag, and Aeronaut
          -m

Comment

Cool Maverick that would be awesome! The container is 2" high.

Here is a picture of it. ( thank goodness for iphones )
            file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/jmartellotta/Desktop/IMG_0240.jpg

Originally posted by maverick View Post
            hi jmart,

how high is the container? the bottom pocket is more long than it is squarish, and my concern is that 7" may be a bit of a squeeze in the narrower dimension.

this stainless steel container from lunchbots will hold a sandwich nicely, and will also fit in the bottom pocket of the synapse nicely. let me see if i can take a photo this evening in order to demonstrate.

Comment

Oops no photo, how do I attach a photo?

Cool Maverick that would be awesome! The container is 2" high.

Here is a picture of it. ( thank goodness for iphones )
              file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/jmartellotta/Desktop/IMG_0240.jpg

Comment

Oops no photo, how do I attach a photo?
                hi jmart,

please see this video of a screen capture demonstrating how you can upload an image to the forum.

sorry for the lack of voiceover in the video - i wanted to get this to you right away, and don't have my microphone and audio capture module with me right now. hopefully, the visual demonstration will make the process easy enough to understand. i'll go back and add audio later!
                -m

Comment

hi jmart,

please see this video of a screen capture demonstrating how you can upload an image to the forum.
                  maverick! You are amazing!
                  Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy View Post
                    maverick! You are amazing!
                    awe darcy, it was easy! actually, the kudos should go to apple for packaging in a screen video capture feature in quicktime x which is part of snow leopard.
                    -m

Comment

Wow! Thanks Maverick! You rock! I'll upload the photo tomorrow morning. Late homework night with the kids. Well I ordered the synapse anyway since I am a bag freak. LOL. You videos just sold me. Have a wonderful evening.

Thanks

hi jmart,

sorry for the lack of voiceover in the video - i wanted to get this to you right away, and don't have my microphone and audio capture module with me right now. hopefully, the visual demonstration will make the process easy enough to understand. i'll go back and add audio later!

Comment

Ok, here is a picture of it.

thanks
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by jmart; 09-11-2009, 07:41 AM.

Comment

hi jmart,

i tried two lunch boxes - one was 7" x 5.5" x 2" and another was 6.8" x 5.1" x 2.55". both fit into the bottom pocket of the synapse. i don't think you could go much more in the vertical dimension than 5.5" with a 2" height. but this size lunchbot (the green one) will hold a pretty big sandwich and some fruit or vegetables on the side.

i still want to get you a picture... give me until this evening - thanks!
                          -m

Comment

So I'm trying to pick a color so I can finally pre-order, and I'm stuck deciding between Steel and Black. I really like the color the steel seems to be in the picture, but it seems darker than steel seems to be in pictures for other bags. If the Steel actually looks like the Synapse picture, then I definitely want it.
                            Owner of:
                            Imago in Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi, Large Cafe Bag in Black/Wasabi, Various organizer pouches/stuff sacks/travel trays, Small Shop Bag in Steel and Iberian, Synapse in Steel/Steel, and a Medium Cafe Bag in Plum/Wasabi.

Comment

I love Steel, it is a gorgeous color, it is a neutral but it has such personality that is not a run of the mill gray, it actually subtly change hue depending on the time of day, weather or not it is sunny or if you are indoors or out.

One of my Brain Bags is Steel, I have a Kit, many pouches in that color and most of my Swifts are Steel and something else.

It is a very conservative but not stuffy color.

I also have Black pouches and a Kit, no offense to the Tom Bihn team but it's just black, just like the seams of most bags.

Get it in Steel, you won't regret it.

Comment

Hmm, it does look a bit darker in these pictures.
                                Originally posted by timarelay View Post
                                So I'm trying to pick a color so I can finally pre-order, and I'm stuck deciding between Steel and Black. I really like the color the steel seems to be in the picture, but it seems darker than steel seems to be in pictures for other bags. If the Steel actually looks like the Synapse picture, then I definitely want it.
                                I think the colors in the Side Effect product page pretty accurately reflect the recent colors. It looks as though Steel shown there is a bit lighter than the Steel on the Synapse page, but I actually think the Steel color is a bit darker in person than it appears on the Side Effect page to me. (I have a Steel Side Effect).

I also pondered the colors (and sent questions to maverick). The plum cordura color used now is slightly different from the plum in in my earlier Ristretto, which had a redder or more magenta cast. It's a bit brighter than the Plum on my original Buzz -- unless that darkened with age!

moriond

Comment

Working...
                                X