Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,772   Posts: 190,619   Members: 6,655   Active Members: 261
Welcome to our newest member, Oliver18.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Synapse backpack: Q & A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantastic pictures, bluedawg!
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Originally posted by gmanedit View Post
      Loved the pictures, especially the last one. Do you have any advice for dealing with cat hair? I have black bags and a white cat.
      heh, we have one charcoal grey cat, one lynx-point balinese cat (the one in the picture), and one brindle greyhound, so between our three animals we have probably 7 shades of hair kicking around here! and yes, this morning after less than 24 hours in my possession, i definitely had to lint-roller the synapse before photographing it. i don't have any particularly great advice other than what is probably super-obvious: (a) keep the bag where your cat isn't likely to nest in it, and (b) invest in those sticky-roller things!

good luck with (a), because i know my kitties find nests pretty much wherever they like. so (b) has been my best option thus far. we have one lint roller on the first floor and another on the second floor, so there's always one close by! i also keep one in my office (i can't tell you how many times i've gotten to campus only to realize that i have cat hair on my pants), and i'm about to buy one to stash in my glove compartment.

Comment

Originally posted by bluedawg View Post
        i took a few pictures of my navy synapse, because a couple of people have been asking about it. i know it's not the same as product page pictures but maybe it will at least give you an idea! i took a couple of shots of the synapse next to a steel/black smart alec, too, for comparison. i'll add notes to my pictures in an hour or two, when i get to campus.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/veganchai/tags/synapse/
        awesome pictures, bluedawg! thank you for sharing!
        -m

Comment

Originally posted by MsMoon View Post
          Ok, how did I miss that one of the side pockets is lined in Ultrasuede??
          I thought the exact same thing when I started playing with my Synapse, which just arrived!

I don't think it was highlighted in Maverick's video... (perhaps his version doesn't have the Ultrasuede?)

The Synapse is fabulous! The color contrast between the Ultrasuede and the rest of the bag is a very nice touch.

Comment

Hey all - If your curious what you can get in the synapse, here is a quick shot of what I have in mine. I took this with me to Houston, which is where I'm at right now.
            Attached Files

Comment

are my eyes deceiving me or is that a magic mouse?
              http://www.tombihn.com
              1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
              Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Comment

Yep... That is a Magic Mouse... It's awesome!! I just bought it today at Best Buy in Houston.. I was just going to buy a cable and saw it and could not pass it up. So far its great!

BTW Katy, thanks so much for getting the bag to me so quickly, I'm very happy with it. Tell Tom and Darcy to keep it up!!!!

Comment

It looks great in black. I like how the zippers blend in.

Comment

sooooo tempted to try this! the 4Z cache is currently shipping in one business day, hmmmm...

is it a tight fit as in, "difficult to zip closed," or is it a tight fit as in, "distorts the shape a bit, but still easy to zip"?
                    *shamelessly quoting myself*

jmart, in case you missed my question upthread, i'm re-posting it. can you give me an indication of what you mean by "tight fit"? thanks!!

Comment

*shamelessly quoting myself*

jmart, in case you missed my question upthread, i'm re-posting it. can you give me an indication of what you mean by "tight fit"? thanks!!

With the 15" and 4z cache, you have to tuck it into the back of the bag. I'll see if I can get a picture of it, since it's easier to show then explain.

Comment

Here are some pictures with my macbook pro 15" inside the cache in the synapse. Hope this helps! It's really not hard to get in in there and once that backpack is over your shoulder or worn as a backpack it sinks down more and looks fine. It could be an inch bigger, but I have no complaints. Its really a great size, especially how much it holds. If you need more pictures let me know and I'll be happy to post.
                        Last edited by jmart; 11-06-2009, 04:17 AM.

Comment

jmart: The 15" MBP is just too tight of a fit for the Synapse. It is pushing out the corners and will wear out the zippers prematurely. When that happens, and if we can repair it, it will not be covered under the guarantee. Sorry! Can you remove the pictures? I don't want people to get the wrong idea. They're great pictures, though. And I hope you can continue to use your Synapse!

Everyone else: please don't put your 15" MBP in your Synapse - let your Synapse live a long life!
                          Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy View Post
                            jmart: The 15" MBP is just too tight of a fit for the Synapse. It is pushing out the corners and will wear out the zippers prematurely. When that happens, and if we can repair it, it will not be covered under the guarantee. Sorry! Can you remove the pictures? I don't want people to get the wrong idea. They're great pictures, though. And I hope you can continue to use your Synapse!

Everyone else: please don't put your 15" MBP in your Synapse - let your Synapse live a long life!

Will do Darcy. It actually looks tighter then it really is though. Its not pulling on the zippers like it looks in the picture...

Comment

Like many others, I am also the recipient of a navy Synapse. I haven't had the opportunity to put it to daily use yet but it is clear that significant thought went into the design. Everything from the comfortable padding to the snag resistant zippers to the detachable waist strap appears to be made from quality materials. Well executed!

My wife keeps asking why I'm walking around indoors with a backpack on but she already has intentions to borrow it.

Comment

I'm so happy I have my Synapse! This is exactly what I've been waiting for all these years. I haven't actually used it yet because I want to make sure I'm happy with the Steel (wondering if I should get black instead) before I take it for a test drive, but color aside, this is absolutely the right backpack for me. It fits exactly how I want it to. It sits perfectly on my back; not too high and not too low. I'll post pictures once I have more time (and fix my camera/buy a new one... It stopped working recently).

I love this bag. I can't wait to travel with it, and it might be replacing my Imago as my daily school bag!
                                Owner of:
                                Imago in Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi, Large Cafe Bag in Black/Wasabi, Various organizer pouches/stuff sacks/travel trays, Small Shop Bag in Steel and Iberian, Synapse in Steel/Steel, and a Medium Cafe Bag in Plum/Wasabi.

Comment

Working...
                                X