Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,777   Posts: 190,650   Members: 6,657   Active Members: 262
Welcome to our newest member, CamMattie.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Synapse backpack: Q & A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dclawyer View Post
    These posts are helpful. I'm thinking of buying a Synapse but I'm on the fence. People seem to like it but not love it like the Aeronaut -- or at least that's my impression.
    I love it.

Originally posted by Just View Post
    Absolutely love it. The Synapse is the backpack I've been waiting for.
    Yup, I feel the same way.

I think a lot of us who fall in love with the bag are going to be shorter, because there really aren't that many well designed small backpacks out there. I'm short and because of the way my back is shaped, I do actually need a bag with a short profile so it actually lies flat against my back. The first time I put the Synapse on there was an 'omg!' moment because the bag actually felt comfortable. And then I put things in it, and was I really carrying my computer, my clean kanteen (12oz) and my thermos (16oz), all of them full, and yet my back and shoulders didn't hurt at all? Amazing! I could never comfortably carry that much in a messenger bag without my shoulder eventually aching a bit.

I love all the little pockets and the layout and I think it is wonderfully designed. I fell in love with it when I first got to see and try on a prototype, and I love my final model too. The steel color of my bag is even starting to grow on me.

My only regret is that as it's not a messenger bag, things aren't quite as easy access, which means I need to figure out a new way to have hand sanitizer at my disposal all the time. This is no fault of the synapse; it's a backpack problem.

I am just really, really happy to have finally found a backpack I can love.
    Owner of:
    Imago in Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi, Large Cafe Bag in Black/Wasabi, Various organizer pouches/stuff sacks/travel trays, Small Shop Bag in Steel and Iberian, Synapse in Steel/Steel, and a Medium Cafe Bag in Plum/Wasabi.

Comment

Originally posted by timarelay View Post
      I love it.
      My only regret is that as it's not a messenger bag, things aren't quite as easy access, which means I need to figure out a new way to have hand sanitizer at my disposal all the time. This is no fault of the synapse; it's a backpack problem.
      This sounds like a job for... The Small Cafe Bag!
      Bags: Latest: Pop Tote and Shop Bag (large) ; also have a Co-Pilot, Super Ego (w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut; Medium Cafe Bag; Large Cafe Bag; Brain Cell; Shop Bag small, (Steel); Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. Accessories: Oh yeah, bunches.
      Sadly Lost to Hazmat: An Imago in Steel/Cork & MCB in Linen/Olive.
      " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Comment

Where do you keep your keys? I have a hand sanitizer key chain. Love it!!
        http://www.tombihn.com
        1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
        Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Comment

Originally posted by ex machina View Post
          I second that!

I have switched from the Large Cafe Bag and Swift pair to the Small Cafe Bag with the Aeronaut Backpack Packing Cube.

The Small Cafe Bag holds the essentials which need quick grabbing action: glasses, phone, beauty/health stuff in Small and Medium Organizer pouches.

The Aeronaute Backpack Packing Cube is used to carry letter size paper in a Large Organizer Pouch, small plastic envelope with junior and mini size writng pads and a pencil my camera in its Medium Padded Pouch and Yarn Stuff Sack with small needlework project.

That set up is a way to find out what would be fine tucked away in a small backpack; yeah, I am thinking Synapse and what must be within instant reach in a Cafe Bag.
          Last edited by backpack; 11-17-2009, 05:09 PM.

Comment

I was going to say Side Effect, myself.

Comment

Good choice, too.
              Bags: Latest: Pop Tote and Shop Bag (large) ; also have a Co-Pilot, Super Ego (w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut; Medium Cafe Bag; Large Cafe Bag; Brain Cell; Shop Bag small, (Steel); Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. Accessories: Oh yeah, bunches.
              " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Comment

For some reason I hadn't thought about that. I guess I could carry two bags. Don't quite have the budget to buy a small cafe bag just yet, but I do have my medium! I also do have a few other random little bags.

Originally posted by Katy View Post
                Where do you keep your keys? I have a hand sanitizer key chain. Love it!!
                My keys are sometimes in my pocket, sometimes in my bag, depends on how big my pockets are. I've been trying to find hand sanitizer that either allows me to hook it to a key chain, or that has a pull mechanism like my ID does. Maybe I should try hunting through a few drugstores. So far online I've only found options to buy in bulk.

Not a huge fan of the Side Effect (I just can't see myself wearing it) and it also doesn't meet my criteria in that I would need to zip it open in order to access my hand sanitizer. Yeah, I'm picky. Thanks for the suggestion though!
                Owner of:
                Imago in Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi, Large Cafe Bag in Black/Wasabi, Various organizer pouches/stuff sacks/travel trays, Small Shop Bag in Steel and Iberian, Synapse in Steel/Steel, and a Medium Cafe Bag in Plum/Wasabi.

Comment

...it also doesn't meet my criteria in that I would need to zip it open in order to access my hand sanitizer. Yeah, I'm picky.
                  Hey timarelay, I resemble that remark!

I keep antimicrobial wipes in the outer pocket of all my bags. Thanks for sharing, I feel... vindicated!

Comment

The Synapse arrived late yesterday. My initial impression: It's bigger than I expected. Also, it's overbuilt, like other TB bags.

I just transferred everything from the Large Cafe Bag. (Amazing how much lighter that bag became. Paper is heavy!) The Small Shop Bag went into the bottom outside pocket. Now it's shakedown time—use it and move things around between pockets till everything has found a home.

Also in the delivery, an indigo Kit. I have no idea what's going to end up in it, but the color is gorgeous. And a large Shop Bag; the first, Small Shop Bag changed buying groceries from a chore to a pleasure. (There's a saying, "A poor workman blames his tools," but in my experience, it's harder and less fun to do a good job without good tools.) Actually, three large Shop Bags, the other two for holiday presents. And a Snake Charmer—no immediate use for it, but you never know.

Finally, a Brain Bag. I'm still not sure why I ordered it—I think I got carried away by people here raving about how comfortable it is. For my purposes (for example, going to dance class and putting my clothes in a bag instead of a locker—that can be a lot of bulk in winter), I would have preferred a single compartment, but what can you do. I haven't checked it out thoroughly yet, but I did put it on. I don't know if it's the two-inch-wide waist strap or the vertical fold line of the back panel, but it felt as if I were being hugged. Wow.

To everybody at TB, good job!

Comment

Totally love my navy Synapse now...it just took me a week to see its charm. Holds just the right amount, the pockets are laid out perfectly...love it. I would really love a vertical Freudian Slip that fit it though.
                      --------------------------------

Comment

I've been trying to find hand sanitizer that either allows me to hook it to a key chain, or that has a pull mechanism like my ID does.
                        I have one of these latched to my keys http://www.troop629.org/images/gear/...wrap-large.jpg
                        http://www.tombihn.com
                        1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
                        Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Comment

It may have been answered in one of these 31 pages (!!), but what what size organizer pouches fit in the side zip pockets? I know mini's do, but do smalls as well?
                          --------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by bltkmt View Post
                            It may have been answered in one of these 31 pages (!!), but what what size organizer pouches fit in the side zip pockets? I know mini's do, but do smalls as well?
                            you're in luck, because i happen to have both in my office right now! i regularly carry a mini in one of the side pockets, but i have a small cork pouch with me today (carrying a passport drive). it is a tighter fit, but definitely goes in and zips shut with no problem. it might depend on what you have in it, how many pouches you're trying to cram in there, etc... but a small definitely fits. right now i have the small (with passport drive inside) and mini (wallet organizer) sharing a side pocket with no problems whatsoever (and there is a 1.0L sigg bottle in the center pocket).

Comment

dclawyer said: "I'm thinking of buying a Synapse but I'm on the fence. People seem to like it but not love it like the Aeronaut -- or at least that's my impression."

It grows on you. I've been using it for two weeks. When there's not much in it, the shoulder straps seem like overkill—a lot of padding for not much bag. Yesterday, however, I loaded it up while shopping, and really appreciated how those solid shoulder straps let me carry all my stuff without feeling overburdened.

Comment

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I ordered a Synapse (Black/Steel) and it is scheduled to arrive Dec 9. I will let you know what I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X