Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,817   Posts: 191,200   Members: 6,712   Active Members: 264
Welcome to our newest member, toomuchlove.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Synapse backpack: Q & A

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Sooooo happy to hear that you could fit an Archetype in there!! Pretty pictures... That means I'd be able to fit my Archetype (13" Macbook) in there. hehehehehehehe.

    Comment


      Originally posted by timarelay View Post
      (am I the only one who's noticed that it looks a bit like a frowny face? ie =( but more spaced out eyes?)
      I noticed this too.

      Comment


        Originally posted by Darcy View Post
        Is there any chance that the Synapse will have cord zipper pulls opposed to the metal ones as shown in the pictures?

        Comment


          Originally posted by HappyJ View Post
          Is there any chance that the Synapse will have cord zipper pulls opposed to the metal ones as shown in the pictures?
          I'm not sure which kind of pulls it will have - if it does end up with metal pulls, adding Cord Pulls is always an option.
          Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

          Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

          Comment


            I had missed those pictures!

            Beautiful Bag!

            Comment


              ooh, nice pictures. The combination of zippers on the back kinda does make it look like it has a face.

              I think what really sells it for me best is that it looks like it fits very well on a female frame. Not too large, not too small. The synapse looks like it will be a great daypack.

              Comment


                Originally posted by calel View Post
                I think what really sells it for me best is that it looks like it fits very well on a female frame. Not too large, not too small. The synapse looks like it will be a great daypack.
                It fits on my smaller 5'5" frame beautifully. It's a pleasure to wear. It's my most favorite day-hiking pack ever (besides the Smart Alec!)
                Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

                Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

                Comment


                  I have so been wanting one of these (preferably in plum ). I'm sure the wait will be worth it.

                  Comment


                    Ditto for Plum, Sapphire, Storm and Pink.

                    Comment


                      I love the way it looks. It doesn't look like it has pockets for water bottles.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by mrae View Post
                        I love the way it looks. It doesn't look like it has pockets for water bottles.
                        In my understanding, those pictures are of the preliminary design of the Synapse.

                        Tom is tweaking it.

                        There has been many inputs on the board and it is probable that real life use (trips to Denali and around Seattle) has prompted him to tweak some things.

                        I don't really know but I think it is a good guess because many of us have been acting like horses about to be taken from barn to pasture at the end of a long winter. We are impatient to see the final design of the Synapse.

                        Comment


                          I saw the original Synapse that Tom was working on when I first met him at the Seattle showroom in December 2007. It is a truly awesome bag. The bag is the perfect size and I love the way the pockets are laid out. I can't wait to buy one of these. I really like the Sapphire color in the photos of the Synapse. But I think it will be fun to visit the showroom again and see the different colors before making my final choice.
                          Proud user of Tom Bihn products since 2005.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by bobster View Post
                            I saw the original Synapse that Tom was working on when I first met him at the Seattle showroom in December 2007. It is a truly awesome bag. The bag is the perfect size and I love the way the pockets are laid out. I can't wait to buy one of these. I really like the Sapphire color in the photos of the Synapse. But I think it will be fun to visit the showroom again and see the different colors before making my final choice.
                            Living in the same state as the factory, you are much too lucky for your own good


                            I also love Sapphire as well as Plum, Pink, Storm and Steel.

                            I am partial to Steel lining I find it light enough and stylish, but not garish.


                            My husband and I need to get back to biking and other fun activities that require light gear.

                            The Synapse is perfect for that.

                            Comment


                              Hm... yesterday I posted in the Questions subforum asking for thoughts on a Brain Bag for small women and now I see this thread about the Synapse.

                              Thing is, it looks like the Synapse has been in development for 2 years, which is totally cool, but I don't think I can wait another two years to replace my old backpack! Is there any sort of even vague-ish ETA for the Synapse? Are we talking in months or years?

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by autumnmist View Post
                                Hm... yesterday I posted in the Questions subforum asking for thoughts on a Brain Bag for small women and now I see this thread about the Synapse.

                                Thing is, it looks like the Synapse has been in development for 2 years, which is totally cool, but I don't think I can wait another two years to replace my old backpack! Is there any sort of even vague-ish ETA for the Synapse? Are we talking in months or years?

                                The Synapse has been eagerly anticipated by many forum members, it should be out really really soon, I think part of Tom Bihn Spring new line up.


                                Some major factors delayed its release.

                                Airlines started to be very picky with carryon size and the TSA started a certification for checkpoint friendly bags made in the U.S.A. On the blog, it says that Tom and Darcy went around July or June of 08 to find out what would constitute a checkpoint friendly bag.

                                The first event prompted Tom to design the Western Flyer and the second to develop a line of checkpoint friendly bags, the first being the Checkpoint Flyer.


                                The release of the Mac Book Air on January 15 2008 prompted the development of the Ristretto.

                                In 2005, Knitty members had a contest to design a knitting bag with Tom Bihn. I also think forum members gave their input.

                                Both of those bags were created, tweaked, constructed and in the case of the Swift, accessories were added in 07/08.


                                The first prototype of the Synapse was ready last June but Tom wanted to test it in real life use, Tom and Darcy went to Denali just for that! (never mind the gorgeous scenery and the tremendous wildlife)
                                Last edited by backpack; 02-17-2009, 05:58 AM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X