Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,817   Posts: 191,200   Members: 6,712   Active Members: 264
Welcome to our newest member, toomuchlove.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Synapse backpack: Q & A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey backpack,

wow! this is a great example of the journey a tom bihn bag takes before it ends up in our hands! thank you for detailing the development process behind the synapse.

i hope that having a better understanding of the hard work that goes into producing a tom bihn bag increases the appreciation for the products we are able to enjoy!

i guess this shatters any illusions that tom wake up in the morning, scratch his head, and say: "hmmmm, let's make a backpack," and then goes into the factory, creates a design, and has a prototype ready before the evening? within a week, it's shipping to excited shoppers the world around. ;-)

-m
    -m

Comment

Lightly padded bottom to Synapse?

Too late, I'm sure, but I have a wish-list item to add to the thousands...

I think it would be great if the bottom of the backpack were lightly padded.
      It would provide a little protection for people who are sometimes inclined to slip a small laptop into their bag w/o a sleeve, and then cringe when they set the bag down a little too hard. And it would protect the bottom of the bag against wear & tear from sharp textbook corners, etc., especially if the padded part extended an inch or so up the sides/front/back of the bag.

I don't sound like i take very good care of things, do I?

Comment

Ok, now that I've tried the Brain Bag and declared it far too big, I am back to eagerly (desperately? please? how about April? April sounds great to me) awaiting the Synapse.

Also, I ask again that it be offered it slightly more conservative colors. Just because it's a small backpack doesn't mean it needs to be bright. I would love a black one, or maybe olive or maybe even crimson (red is pretty much the one color I will allow myself to be flashy with). Sapphire and me do not get along, nor do I agree with Pink. Storm is beautiful but I'd prefer it as an accent than as the color of the entire bag. Plum... it remains to be seen if I would be okay with a Plum backpack.
        Owner of:
        Imago in Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi, Large Cafe Bag in Black/Wasabi, Various organizer pouches/stuff sacks/travel trays, Small Shop Bag in Steel and Iberian, Synapse in Steel/Steel, and a Medium Cafe Bag in Plum/Wasabi.

Comment

Have we recently had an ETA on the Synapse?

I am getting very interested in it, as I am always a backpack person. Having read lots of reviews of different TB bags, I like the idea of a water-resistant bag (I walk in the rain quite often) that will last for years and years and years.

Travelwkid
          http://www.enjoyingtravelwithkids.blogspot.com

Comment

Agreed w/ timarelay re: colors -- but as long as there's a black option, or at least silver, I can accept that some people like plum, chartreuse, seafoam, etc

timothy

Comment

I can totally, definitely, totally accept a Synapse in plum. (Please, soon?)

Comment

The Synapse is still coming. As you know, Tom is a perfectionist, and he isn't entirely happy with the front pocket configuration. I think the organization is amazing, but he believes it can be even better - and I can't wait to see what he comes up with.

As for colors....in the first run, we'll probably try:
                Plum
                Punch
                Sapphire
                Olive
                Cocoa
                Black
                Navy

And then we'll narrow it down to four colors after that.
                Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Is there any way to get notified of when it is available for pre-order? I don't want to miss out on getting a plum one. (In the past, I've found out about a color right after it gets sold out and I've waited so long for the Synapse, I don't want that to happen with it.)

Unless Tom dramatically changes the configuration, it looks like it's going to be just the bag I've been hoping for.

Thanks for the update, Darcy.

Comment

Originally posted by Foggy Morn View Post
                    Is there any way to get notified of when it is available for pre-order? I don't want to miss out on getting a plum one.
                    We'll post on the blog and Twitter as soon as it's available for pre-order. We'll make sure that you get a Plum bag!

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy View Post
                      As for colors....in the first run, we'll probably try:
                      Plum
                      Punch
                      Sapphire
                      Olive
                      Cocoa
                      Black
                      Navy

And then we'll narrow it down to four colors after that.
                      No Kelly? I'm a big fan of green and was hoping for a nice bright green Synapse. Olive is far too dull and boring for me.

Audrey

Comment

No Kelly, I'm afraid. I like it too, but unfortunately, not very many other people do.

Comment

second that - the kelly would be nice!

a navy exterior with a kelly interior would be great as well!

the plum and black exterior will look great with a wasabi interior.

Originally posted by falconea View Post
                          No Kelly? I'm a big fan of green and was hoping for a nice bright green Synapse. Olive is far too dull and boring for me.

Audrey
                          -m

Comment

Kelly is one of the only bright colors I would be happy with in a bag (as interior, or exterior: a black out / kelly in Super Ego would be perfect) -- maybe people for some reason *say* they don't like it, but secretly do

timothy

Comment

Is the interior going to be Cordura or Dyneema?

Steel is my choice with Plum, Punch and Sapphire unless I can get Plum/Pink or Sapphire/Storm those two together are gorgeous beyond belief.

I don't like green except a very nice turquoise, it can be dark like the interior of the temperate rain forest or light like the southern seas.

Of course Steel and Black would be just great as a second color with it.

Comment

Originally posted by timothy View Post
                                Kelly is one of the only bright colors I would be happy with in a bag (as interior, or exterior: a black out / kelly in Super Ego would be perfect) -- maybe people for some reason *say* they don't like it, but secretly do
                                I am sure that is based on actual sales. I understand the business need, but I still think it's a shame!

I guess I'll have to go for plum or sapphire. Or resign myself to steel.

Audrey

Comment

Working...
                                X