Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,582   Posts: 188,371   Members: 6,553   Active Members: 307
Welcome to our newest member, LucaDebenh.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Synapse backpack: Q & A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darcy
    replied
    Glad to hear it, Shiva!

Leave a comment:

• Shiva
    replied
    hello all: I finally got the Synapse for a friend of mine, and of course, I now love it! It feels almost like the more "grown up" version of the old Ruck's Sac (which I have, and which I love). It seems to be able to swallow up endless amounts of stuff and still be balanced.
    Like someone else posted, my only suggestions would be to add an o-ring to the water bottle compartment so we can clip things there when not using it for water bottles. Considering it is so deep, I would love to be able to hang stuff there.
    2. Repositioning the O-rings in the main compartment. When I have the cache there, and I try to hang pouches, it comes in the way and pokes a bit in the back.
    Love it otherwise! And my friend is thrilled, of course!
    s

Leave a comment:

• ex machina
    replied
    I have an Imago and both of the Ultrasuede pockets are black. I purchased that bag some time ago, perhaps over two years ago. Still looks new too. Yay, Tom Bihn!

Leave a comment:

• gmich
    replied
    Pretty sure it's the same in all of them. My wife and I each have a Synapse (one plum, one navy), and the ultrasuede pocket is Cayenne in both.

Leave a comment:

• rodrigues
    replied
    Time to resurrect this thread - I'm wondering about the ultrasuede pocket. Are they the same colour in every bag? I just got my Indigo/Solar Synapse and I love it ... *except* for the red/orange (is it cayenne?) ultrasuede pocket, which is my LEAST favourite Tom Bihn colour. <shudder>

Is the ultrasuede the same colour on every Synapse?
    Last edited by rodrigues; 08-11-2010, 05:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• moriond
    replied
    Originally posted by Doug View Post
    Originally posted by jmart View Post
    Doug - It has been working out perfect, no issues with any seams busting or any zipper problems. This by far is one of the best and well made backpacks I have ever come across! I own about 15 different backpacks all by different manufactures, and nothing beats the quality of this bag. As a matter of fact, I was on my way into the city this morning (I Live close to Chicago, and take the Metra in) and it was pouring rain out, and the water proof zippers worked like a charm! I can go on and on about this bag and how versatile it is.... Anyway hope this helps. J
    That helps a lot -- thanks!
    Doug, I was talking to Katy yesterday to add some items to my order, and she said that they're not currently making the Synapse in Dyneema. I bought two versions of the Synapse when it came out: one in Indigo and one in Dyneema. I've used the Indigo Synapse nearly every day (color matches my Tri-Star). My thought was like that of Marbenais, that I'd use the Dyneema Synapse when I was interested in ultra-light travel, and especially if I wanted to pack it into a bag like the Aeronaut (it packs a little flatter).
    Originally posted by marbenais View Post
    How likely is it that either the Dyneema or the Cordura version could be squished, unfilled & flat, into the back of a Smart Alec? I ordered a Plum/Solar version for everyday use and a Steel Dyneema/Solar Dyneema for traveling, once I've unpacked.
    If you really want a Synapse in Dyneema, pm me. I've been looking wistfully at the Navy Synapse ever since pictures were posted, but couldn't really justify getting another Synapse in a color so closed to Indigo. (Navy was my second choice color). Again, this is really for future use, since I expect the Synapse to hold up really well. It's the bag I most waited for in recent years. Maybe we could do a swap where I send you my Dyneema Synapse and you purchase a Navy Synpase and have that mailed to me instead.

moriond

Leave a comment:

• Doug
    replied
    Synapse with 4Z case

Doug - It has been working out perfect, no issues with any seams busting or any zipper problems. This by far is one of the best and well made backpacks I have ever come across! I own about 15 different backpacks all by different manufactures, and nothing beats the quality of this bag. As a matter of fact, I was on my way into the city this morning (I Live close to Chicago, and take the Metra in) and it was pouring rain out, and the water proof zippers worked like a charm! I can go on and on about this bag and how versatile it is.... Anyway hope this helps. J
    That helps a lot -- thanks!

Leave a comment:

• jmart
    replied
    Now that a few months have passed, can I ask how the MBP 15 / 4Z cache / Synapse combo is working out? It would be a near ideal combo for my needs.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• bltkmt
    replied
    Originally posted by bltkmt View Post
    It looks like the Dyneema Synapse is not available...will there be more made?

Any update on this?

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    I can't find a reply to this post. Can anybody comment on the Dyneema Synapse versus Ballistic from a structural "rigidity" point of view?

Any experience on how compressible the Dyneema Synapse is, when carried inside another bag?

Conflicting requirements I know - rigid enough to stand up, flexible enough to be easy to pack away. Not easy being a bag...

I think Darcy answered that question, she said that the padded back makes the Dyneema Synapse rigid.

Packing cubes are the items you would want to order if you want to compress a bag inside a bag.

Leave a comment:

• Doug
    replied
    How rigid is the Dyneema Synapse?

Originally posted by ltsching View Post
    I am interested in the Synapse in Steel Dyneema/Solar Dyneema for daily and travel usage. Is the bag rigid enough for a 13" MacBook in a Cache, a digital camera and other office "stuff"? I like that it is light weight, but am wondering if it retains shape like cordura. Thanks.
    I can't find a reply to this post. Can anybody comment on the Dyneema Synapse versus Ballistic from a structural "rigidity" point of view?

Any experience on how compressible the Dyneema Synapse is, when carried inside another bag?

Conflicting requirements I know - rigid enough to stand up, flexible enough to be easy to pack away. Not easy being a bag...

Leave a comment:

• Doug
    replied
    Synapse with vertical 4Z cache question

Hi All,

I just received my vertical 4Z cache and wanted to let all of you know that it is a better fit in the Synapse! I think because the top goes in more since this is where the lip is. So I can fit that along with my kindle and a programming book! There is no stress on the zippers at all! So there you have it If I have time I'll make a video to show you all.
    Now that a few months have passed, can I ask how the MBP 15 / 4Z cache / Synapse combo is working out? It would be a near ideal combo for my needs.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• bltkmt
    replied
    It looks like the Dyneema Synapse is not available...will there be more made?

Leave a comment:

• cody
    replied
    Dyneema has been used for quite some time as an external material by several companies in their climbing/hiking packs.

Zpacks.com, Mchalepacks.com, cilogear.com are all respected backpack makers that depend on Dyneema and Spectra fabrics to be durable in an outdoor environment.

I've got a bag from Cilo Gear in Dyneema. The bag itself is only a single layer of Dyneema, and it has held up well with no issues at all.

The only complaint I have about Dyneema is the noise factor. To me, Dyneema is loud in the same way a GoreTex hard shell is. I hate the way GoreTex makes the swooshing, crinkling noise as you walk, and Dyneema is much the same.

Normally, I overlook the noise Dyneema makes when it offers significant weight savings. In the Synapse though, you're only saving a few ounces because of the construction. As such, Cordura seems just as well suited for me on that bag.

For those who complain about Cordura picking up lint and hairs, Dyneema doesn't do that in my experience. It's a smooth faced fabric, and hairs don't stick to it.

Leave a comment:

• ex machina
    replied
    I have a shop bag in Steel Dyneema, and I would be surprised if Dyneema wasn't up to the rigors of daily use. In my experience it has been quite durable. I like it as a material for bags. I got a shoulder bag made in Solar Dyneema too. That however, I have used as a packing cube, and have yet to take out as a shoulder bag.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X