Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,586   Posts: 188,411   Members: 6,562   Active Members: 320
Welcome to our newest member, Arlene31H3.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aeronaut vs. Road Duffle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's get ready to RUMBLE!

A30 on the left. D36 on the right. Both stuffed with towels and washcloths.

Also shown, wasabi 1 Large and 2 small aether A30 packing cubes, and purple 2 aether A30 end cubes.
    1 black PCSB
    1 small wasabi Eagle Creek packing folder. Not my favorite size folder. I prefer the medium, but the small fit in the D36.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TB1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	300703

Oops, D36 is on the left and A30 on the right in the following photo.

Name:	TB2.jpg
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	300704

That's the black PCSB in the left end pocket of the D36. It's hard to tell, because it's black.

Name:	TB3.jpg
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	300705

Front. On the D36, notice the shoulder strap attachments to the left and right of the handles, for carrying horizontally.

Name:	TB4.jpg
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	300706

Top. On the D36, notice the second set of shoulder strap attachments for carrying like the A30.

Name:	TB5.jpg
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	300707
    Last edited by BWeaves; 11-19-2016, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Backside. On the D36 there are extra loops for attaching the lash straps in different places.

Name:	TB6.jpg
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	300708

Bottom. Lash straps are removed now.

Name:	TB7.jpg
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	300709

In the mesh end end pocket you can just see one of the many O rings in the upper left corner.

Name:	TB8.jpg
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	300710

Name:	TB9.jpg
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	300711

Top towards you.

Name:	TB10.jpg
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	300712
      Last edited by BWeaves; 11-19-2016, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Top again

Name:	TB11.jpg
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	300713

Name:	TB12.jpg
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	300714

Name:	TB13.jpg
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	300715

Putting the A30 cubes in the D36 center compartment, plus other stuff.

Name:	TB14.jpg
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	300716

Name:	TB15.jpg
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	300717
        Last edited by BWeaves; 11-19-2016, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Name:	TB17.jpg
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	300718

Name:	TB18.jpg
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	300719

Everything from the A30 fits in the center compartment of the D36 plus the PCSB and washcloths.

Name:	TB19.jpg
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	300720

Moving the 2 A30 end cubes into one of the D36 end compartments.
          Moving one of the A30 small cubes into the other D36 end compartment.

Name:	TB20.jpg
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	300721

The PCSB also fits in the end compartments. It's about 1 inch too long, but fits if you don't pack it full to the end.
          Last edited by BWeaves; 11-19-2016, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Travel tray in one of the end end pockets. You can see the gusset on the inside, so the end end pocket protrudes into the end compartment and takes up space. The solid pocket on the other end is made the same way.

Name:	TB21.jpg
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	300722

Name:	TB22.jpg
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	300723

Name:	TB23.jpg
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	300724

Comment

While I am really not a fan of that nickname for the Road Duffel (very sorry!), you posted some fantastic comparison photos with the Aeronaut. Thank you for taking the time to set the photos up, take them, and post them! I know that takes a lot of effort, even when it is a labor of love.
              "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
              "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Comment

Great photos! Wow! It will be a huge help to someone stuck with deciding between the two! Thank you for posting!

Comment

Well D36 works for Duffle 36 as well as Doggienaut 36. Someone else called it the Doggienaut, and it kind of stuck with me. The main thing is, I really like it. And oddly, it looks smaller than the A30 when you first get it, and then the TARDIS effect kicks in and it can swallow an A30 plus some.

I've been hunting around the various Aether packing cubes, and I think the Tri-Star Medium Packing Cube will fit the center compartment of the D36 efficiently. I'll have to order one and see.
                  Last edited by BWeaves; 11-19-2016, 05:25 PM.

Comment

UPDATE: The Tri-Star Medium Packing Cube (Aether version) fits perfectly in the main compartment of the Doggienaut 36. They're a bit shallow at 2.4" but 4 of them would fit stacked up perfectly. I only bought 2, but I have other Eagle Creek packing cubes that will also fit in there.

I think the TS small packing cube would fit lengthwise, but turned vertically. So longways, but sitting on its small side.
                    I think the WF small packing cube would also be a good fit, turned vertically. So longways, but sitting on its small side.

I decided to send back the black PCSB. There wasn't enough structure and the dark interior was too dark for me to find things. Plus, they came out with the Side Kick the week, and I liked it better because of the bright interior and all the extra pockets.

The Side Kick (ballistic version) fits perfectly in the end pockets of the D36 with room to spare.
                    And the Side Kick fits in one of the sides of the WF (half front when the zipper is in place).
                    Last edited by BWeaves; 12-06-2016, 03:17 PM.

Comment

UPDATE:

I just traveled for a week in cold weather with the D36 as my only bag, and it fit under the seat in front of me on all but one airplane. It stuck out a little bit but not much, so this will depend on whether you are in first class or an exit row for leg room.

A Side Kick fit in one of the side compartments with room to spare. A pair of my husband's shoes fit in the other side compartment, because he insisted on bringing a second pair of shoes (which he forgot to wear, grrrr), otherwise, I could have fit my hat, gloves and scarf in there, too, with room to spare.

Eagle Creek Specter packing cubes and the small packing folder fit perfectly in the main compartment lengthwise, which left room for a TB 3D clear packing cube (3-1-1 bag), a Specter quick trip kit for my dry toiletries, and a travel tray or two. The Specter packing cubes are about the same length as the TS medium packing cubes, but the Specter's are much thicker, so they hold more. I particularly liked the Specter clean / dirty cube for keeping me organized and already packed at all times, and the compression cube for my cushy sweaters.

I really think the D36 has become my favorite bag.
                      Last edited by BWeaves; 01-02-2017, 06:21 AM.

Comment

I'm adding some photos of the inside of the D36, since I had a request.

A side pocket showing the coyote fabric of the inside pockets and "walls."

Name:	D36-1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	301345

The main compartment. The bottom does not have the foam backing or backstrap compartment of the A30, so it won't lay flat unless you make it. It's soft like a Yeoman duffle.

Name:	D36-2.jpg
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	301346

Name:	D36-3.jpg
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	301347

Folded up. I have large hands. Size 8 gloves.

Name:	D36-folded 1.jpg
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	301348

Name:	D36 folded 2.jpg
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	301349

Comment

Outstanding post(s) op. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Can you provide more opinions between the two bags? Seems the backpack straps is the main difference? Does the 36 appear to have 6 more liters of room?

Comment

Thorn,
                              The Aeronaut has grab handles at each end, which I find very useful. The Road Duffle doesn't have the handles.

Comment

Originally posted by thorn View Post
                                Can you provide more opinions between the two bags? Seems the backpack straps is the main difference? Does the 36 appear to have 6 more liters of room?
                                OH YES! I can fit all the contents of an A30 into the center section of the Road Duffle 36. That leaves all the end pockets available in the 36, and they are much bigger than the end pockets on the A30.

Comment

Working...
                                X