Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,822   Posts: 191,271   Members: 6,717   Active Members: 268
Welcome to our newest member, dougwierzba2.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super Ego replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Ego replacement?

Hi guys,

New the forum, but happy owner of a very old and worn out Super Ego bag from post 2009.

I love the space of the Super Ego, as well as the bottle pockets. Does anyone know of a Tom Bihn bag or other that would serve as a good replacement?

Thanks for any suggestions!

That is tough one. I know TB is working on some new briefcase designs but they will not be messenger style bags. See thread link below:

Tom's Briefcase Design Comment

The closest thing in the current line up would be an Empire Builder or one of the travel bags (WS, TS) but nothing with 2 dedicated water bottle pockets.
    The only other alternative is to look for a used one unless you can wait to see next year's new designs.

Also, it has been discussed in other threads that laptop sizes have been decreasing and there are less and less 17" or more laptops used. As a result, the briefcases are getting smaller and smaller.

Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

Originally posted by tpnl View Post
      That is tough one. I know TB is working on some new briefcase designs but they will not be messenger style bags. See thread link below:

Tom's Briefcase Design Comment

The closest thing in the current line up would be an Empire Builder or one of the travel bags (WS, TS) but nothing with 2 dedicated water bottle pockets.
      The only other alternative is to look for a used one unless you can wait to see next year's new designs.

Also, it has been discussed in other threads that laptop sizes have been decreasing and there are less and less 17" or more laptops used. As a result, the briefcases are getting smaller and smaller.

Cheers!
      Any plans on bringing back the quick adjust strap? I could live without the bottle pockets and a little less space if the Quick Adjust strap comes back.

Comment

See Darcy's last point in this March Post of Changes to the TB website and lineup:

- The Q-AM Shoulder Strap will no longer be an option because as of Wednesday, March 16th, the Parental Unit will only be offered with d-ring attachment points (which necessitate a shoulder strap with snaphooks). We're thinking up a way that we could offer the Q-AM Strap with snaphooks and still have it work as a quick-adjust strap; stay tuned on that one!

The original post is here:

New Website Debut

In the meantime, if wanting a new quick-adjust strap for your Super Ego, there are other quick-adjust straps sold separately from other companies if you need something right away. @wierdguy introduced me to the Mission Workshop one and I love it. The webbing is 2" wide and if you have an older Super Ego, it will have 2" wide shoulder straps too if I understand correctly.

Also, you can convert your Super Ego to use Snaphooks and use a replacement shoulder strap from companies like Timbuk2. See my post below (applies to Super Egos too with 1.5" shoulder straps).

Converting Ego to use Snaphooks

For me, I wanted to use a quick-adjust strap that did not have snap hook ends to attach to a briefcase. I just converted it using the right width (matched to the Shoulder Strap webbing width) Snaphook and tri-glide. If the shoulder strap webbing is 1.5", TB has some excellent quality snap-hooks and tri-glides to use. If not, companies specializing in outdoor hikes, etc - e.g. REI - may have parts to use.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
        Last edited by tpnl; 11-30-2016, 08:38 AM.
        TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

Originally posted by ckrisz View Post
          Any plans on bringing back the quick adjust strap? I could live without the bottle pockets and a little less space if the Quick Adjust strap comes back.
          Call TB customer service, and I'm pretty sure that you can still buy one of the Q-AM straps. I think they had about two dozen when they took down the web site listing for this product, and I asked again a few weeks ago and was told they still had this strap -- at least in the size they discontinued for the Parental Unit. Make sure you give them the width of the strap you want -- since this is for the Super Ego, and it uses a wider strap.

For me, the snaphook conversion doesn't work as well as the original Q-AM strap design, and I made sure to stock up on these before they went away.

HTH

moriond
          Last edited by moriond; 11-30-2016, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Fantastic if they have some Q-AM straps left!

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by tpnl View Post
              Fantastic if they have some Q-AM straps left!

Cheers!
              They continued to sell the Q-AM straps for the bags they retired (including the Ego, Super Ego, and ID Messenger) as long as they were still being sold. For the Ego and ID bags, that was through November 2015. The Super Ego was still sold up through February 2016, I think, and the Q-AM strap option for the Parental Unit and Large Cafe Bag was offered up until the new web site transition in March. At that point, they still had Q-AM straps in stock, but they just didn't advertise it on the web site, since the remaining products were discontinued. I'm less sure of availability if he has a really old (wider) Super Ego strap.

HTH

moriond

Comment

Working...
              X