Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,498   Posts: 187,501   Members: 6,458   Active Members: 330
Welcome to our newest member, scjoyner.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skookum Dog - Dog carriers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skookum Dog - Dog carriers?

Hey Tom Bihn,

Am wondering - have the team at Skookum Dog ever considered making a dog carrier? Would love one for my Shiba.

Ooh. I'd love one for my Pug.

Comment

Originally posted by commawaffle View Post
      Hey Tom Bihn,

Am wondering - have the team at Skookum Dog ever considered making a dog carrier? Would love one for my Shiba.
      I have offered to test for them, but I haven't been called up to the big leagues yet. [emoji252]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use a hard sided plastic-type crate for in-vehicle transportation -- much sturdier than canvas or other material. However, we do have a crate that sets up nicely in a hotel room or if we visit friends/relatives. It is much like a tent for dogs. :-) It has pockets, sides that can be removed or attached to velcro on top and a front that can be zipped.

Comment

Originally posted by prairiegl View Post
          I use a hard sided plastic-type crate for in-vehicle transportation -- much sturdier than canvas or other material.
          That's what I have for my dog for road trips. Flying with a dog in cabin, though? The carriers available really aren't all that nice. It would be interesting to see what Tom Bihn could come up with.

Comment

That sounds like a great idea! Two toy poodles at my house need a better option than what I use now to sneak them into Interstate Rest Stops. No Dogs Allowed. But when I'm traveling solo and I can't leave them in the car, I don't have any other option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Honey View Post
              That sounds like a great idea! Two toy poodles at my house need a better option than what I use now to sneak them into Interstate Rest Stops. No Dogs Allowed. But when I'm traveling solo and I can't leave them in the car, I don't have any other option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              We leave ours in the truck when we're at Rest stops. We're only there for quick bathroom business so we're always back well within the 10 minutes run-time of the remote start. More like 2 or 3 minutes tops. Just get out, leaving dogs in, lock doors, remote start so A/C keeps running, do quick business, come back, get them out to do their business, get a drink, run around, etc...

Always do it in that order so the A/C doesn't have to try to come up to speed, and for the few minutes they're in there, it's the same temp as during the drive.

If we have to do longer stops (like for groceries), since the only time we have them with us on longer trips we have our travel trailer, then I open up the trailer and run it's ventilation, turn on the radio, put out water, and set them up almost as nicely as they have it while we're camping. And we still try to be quick.

And as a last measure, if we're traveling on the days it's just too hot to leave them like that, then I'll refuse to stop for groceries on-route and proceed straight to the campground where I can supplement the trailer's ventilation with extra A/C by hooking up to power. Get everything setup nice and cozy, then leave dogs, kids and wife all behind while I go back out solo to get whatever groceries are needed for the trip.

For longer trips where we're not bringing the trailer, then we get them a house/dog sitter. I prefer them to be comfortable in their own home then kenneled somewhere.

Comment

Until the day that TB comes out with a dog carrier, a SturdiBag might work for you. I bought one for my cat before we moved here, because I was flying with him. He's a large cat, about sixteen pounds, and I think I got the large size SturdiBag for him. I like the flexible sides and the shoulder strap. Now I use it for taking him to the vet, and the rest of the time he uses it as his cave!
                https://sturdiproducts.com/collectio...turdibag-large
                I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Comment

+1 for SturdiBag. I similarly purchased one for a flight with a large cat, and it worked great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
                  "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Comment

Working...
                  X