Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,577   Posts: 188,302   Members: 6,534   Active Members: 278
Welcome to our newest member, QQYFodil79.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serious Rain Protection for Brain Bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• klevin
    replied
    another vote for a Brain Bag rain cover

I bought a Brain Bag a few months ago and have generally been quite happy with it. Earlier this month, though, I was traveling in Italy and spent a day or so walking in the wind and rain. I ended up with a backpack full of damp cloths and gear. Particularly the stuff on the sides and bottom of the pack got wet.

Leave a comment:

• Tzporah
    replied
    Not that I've had any issues with my bags... but has anyone tried a seam sealer? I may nikwax my gortex every few years but it will still leak unless I seal all the seams.

Leave a comment:

• Bernie
    replied
    Originally posted by backpack View Post
    Sorry to be a pest but are you sure you are closing the zippers properly?

Also there may be a puncture of some sort in your bag, too small for you to see but enough for rain to drip in.

Do a thorough check.
    Yes the zippers are closed and the cover flaps in place. The problem is the number of seams in the Brain Bag. Its the same kind of problem you see is most styles of backpacks and why serious outdoor packs have rain covers.

If your standing on a train platform with no cover in site and the heavens open up, you are going to get wet. I have plenty of protection for me but the bring bags just isn't ready for that kind of dayluge.

Bernie

Leave a comment:

• timothy
    replied
    I have actually taken pictures, but they're not handy (and tomorrow I'm getting ready for my trip the peaceful, stable, friendly middle east, so probably won't have time to find 'em) of a partial solution I came up with, which is umbrella fabric -- literally, the cloth from a now defunct umbrella -- which turns out to drape quite nicely over the back of the brain bag, with a handy amount of cloth left to twist into little points for knotting. In a few weeks I can post the pics I made of how it looks; it would not survive a *dunking* -- the protection is very directional -- but I'd be confident about walking around in pretty heavy rain so girded.

timothy

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    Sorry to be a pest but are you sure you are closing the zippers properly?

Also there may be a puncture of some sort in your bag, too small for you to see but enough for rain to drip in.

Do a thorough check.

Leave a comment:

• Bernie
    replied
    Just bringing this up in the radar again. I had to commute in the rain today and my stuff got wet. We still need a good rain cover.

Bernie

Leave a comment:

• AVService
    replied
    And I thought I was a loyal customer!

Leave a comment:

• Bernie
    replied
    I just don't know how I've ever showered without luggage before! ;}

Now if we can get that kind of protection on a Brain Bag then I'm quite happy!

Bernie

Leave a comment:

• GaryS
    replied
    Hoo-hah! I laughed so hard I blew Diet Coke out of my nose! (What a mess.)

You win.

Leave a comment:

• thalweg
    replied
    You have persuaded me! Should keep the rain out of anything short of a typhoon. Thanks for the video.

Leave a comment:

• Zephyrnoid
    replied
    I don't ever pack water sensitive contents in my luggage directly. Except for suits in my CIA garment bag, I always use inner packing cubes and pouches or ALOKSAKS that mitigate dampness from rare downpours on travels. So this quick documentary using towels in the Aeronaut is unrealistic but proves my point. I also noticed that the zippers on my ID bag have a different cover, so I may do a less risqué video of that to compare the two.
    CAUTION: Graphic Content May Not Be Suitable For Some Audiences.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YSbZ6oY3a64&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YSbZ6oY3a64&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
    Last edited by Zephyrnoid; 12-29-2007, 03:05 PM. Reason: Typos

Leave a comment:

• Bernie
    replied
    One thing to be remembered about the challenge of a waterproof backpack in an urban environment; if the wearer uses an umbrella of usual size, a much greater amount of water than normal is dropped on the top and backside of the backpack.

Also, the acceptable level of water allowed inside the backpack containing important papers and book is zero! Even one drop ruins a contract or report and makes it un-useable.

I have also used the trash back solution and some packing tape to keep it in place. I am hoping for a slightly more chic solution that makes me stand out more compared to the homeless with their trash bags.

Bernie

Leave a comment:

• GaryS
    replied
    Originally posted by Tom Bihn View Post
    The zippers on the Aeronaut are YKK's "splash-proof" Aquaguard zippers and are indeed exposed. We could have made flaps to cover the Aeronaut's zippers but the extreme curve of the main opening especially would make the flaps far more trouble than they are worth: the flaps would get in the way every time you zipped or unzipped the bag. We chose instead to use the splash-proof zippers. And though carrying a plastic bag as a rain cover for extra protection isn't a bad idea, my experience with the Aeronaut would incline me to believe the bag passes Imago Metrics' 10 minute shower test no problem.

The Brain Bag, on the other hand, has no exposed zippers, as they all have fabric flaps covering them. Whether zippers with flaps or zippers with a urethane coating (like YKK's Aquaguard) provide the best long-term weather-proofness remains to be seen.
    First off let me say that the Tom Bihn Aeronaut is a masterpiece of design. I researched a carry-on bag for quite awhile before ordering one and would have sent it back if it did not meet my expectations. It exceeded them and I ordered another for my wife. As to its water shedding abilities; the reason I carry a trashbag is the fact that whenever you have two sliders on a zipper that meet there will still be a small opening that will allow water to enter. True, it is small but any opening in a bag eliminates it from being "waterproof".

Now as I have proved I am totally ignorant of the design of the other bags in your line, from now on I will only comment on the Aeronaut.

Zephernoid- Yes I would like to see you put your Aeronaut in the shower for ten minutes. I don't think we need to see you in there with it however.<!>

From another topic:
    Originally posted by PM4HIRE View Post
    For me, Red Oxx is
    simply too heavy and over-engineered for most URBAN travelers.
    I'd say "over built".

Leave a comment:

• Zephyrnoid
    replied
    That's it! I'm shooting a video of me in the (near) buff showering with the Aeronaut- should be a hit on YouTube.Tom. There had better be a raise in this for me!

Originally posted by Tom Bihn View Post
    The zippers on the Aeronaut are YKK's "splash-proof" Aquaguard zippers and are indeed exposed. We could have made flaps to cover the Aeronaut's zippers but the extreme curve of the main opening especially would make the flaps far more trouble than they are worth: the flaps would get in the way every time you zipped or unzipped the bag. We chose instead to use the splash-proof zippers. And though carrying a plastic bag as a rain cover for extra protection isn't a bad idea, my experience with the Aeronaut would incline me to believe the bag passes Imago Metrics' 10 minute shower test no problem.

The Brain Bag, on the other hand, has no exposed zippers, as they all have fabric flaps covering them. Whether zippers with flaps or zippers with a urethane coating (like YKK's Aquaguard) provide the best long-term weather-proofness remains to be seen.

Leave a comment:

• Zephyrnoid
    replied
    I respectfully beg to differ as I personally test everything that's stamped with the 'Passed 10 minute Shower Test' imprimatur.I even take the shower at the same time since in the real world a PERSON stands right bye that bag as it's getting soaked- in hand. If, however, you'd care to subject YOUR Aeronaut to the SAME test and it fails, I'll buy it off of you... if it's the green color BTW, I got caught in the rain yesterday-during my 1hr hike around the lake, wearing a down vest & carrying a loaded Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon. Surprisingly- no water inside- though I concede it was less rain than in my shower. The Maxpedition zippers are fully exposed. http://www.imagometrics.com/GoBags/Pygmy_f.htm
    I don't mind being challenged on my test procedures and will gladly shoot proctored videos if need be.

Originally posted by GaryS View Post
    Unfortunately the features of the Brain Bag that make it so unique and useful also make it hard to waterproof. Seams and zippers are where water can enter. The fabric, being treated on the inside will remain water resistant for some time but the exposed zippers are a problem. That's why serious packs for serious backpacking have few exposed zippers and have flaps that cover the zippers when closed. Even then they use rain covers for use in major downpours.

Grandma and I carry a rolled contractor trashbag in our Aeronauts just in case we get caught in the rain while waiting for a bus.

In spite of Aten Imago's claim in his test of the Aeronaut:

There is no way the Aeronaut would survive such a "test".
    Last edited by Zephyrnoid; 12-27-2007, 01:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X