Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 15,276   Posts: 197,763   Members: 7,230   Active Members: 173
Welcome to our newest member, FrodoBaggin.

New: Cord Zipper Pulls ($3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mruseless
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2006

Great solution to reduce noise!!

I received mine today, and I'm going to install them as ratdeau suggests.
    BTW, I use the figure 8 knots on my outdoor coats, they work great and are not as big as you think when you cinch them down tight.
    There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- those who can count, and those who can't.

Proud Owner of: Aeronaut, Empire Builder, PC Flyer, Tri-Star, 3 Absolute shoulder straps, 2 Freudian slips, Braincell, and many various pouches and packing cubes...

Comment

• Just
      Volunteer *********
      • Mar 2006

Western Flyer cord pull

Hi, I was just zipping up my Western Flyer (leaving on a trip tomorrow morning!), and the cord pull came off! Is there a quick fix for this? I can't seem to get the two plastic pieces to come apart to shove the cord back in... maybe I'm doing it wrong?

Comment

• mruseless
        Forum Member
        • Nov 2006

IIRC, there is a small slot in the side of the plastic parts. If you slip a knife or small screwdriver in there, you should be able to pop the halves apart.
        There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- those who can count, and those who can't.

Proud Owner of: Aeronaut, Empire Builder, PC Flyer, Tri-Star, 3 Absolute shoulder straps, 2 Freudian slips, Braincell, and many various pouches and packing cubes...

Comment

• Darcy
          TOM BIHN Crew (we work here)
          • May 2003

Originally posted by Just View Post
          Hi, I was just zipping up my Western Flyer (leaving on a trip tomorrow morning!), and the cord pull came off! Is there a quick fix for this? I can't seem to get the two plastic pieces to come apart to shove the cord back in... maybe I'm doing it wrong?
          I'm sorry about that, Just. Can we send a couple of replacements to your destination? If so, email me the address. It is possible to get the pulls apart and put them back together, but it's difficult.
          Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

• Just
            Volunteer *********
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by mruseless View Post
            IIRC, there is a small slot in the side of the plastic parts. If you slip a knife or small screwdriver in there, you should be able to pop the halves apart.
            Thanks! That worked. Although as Darcy said, it's a bit difficult.. it seemed that you have to angle the nail file, in my case, in the total counter-intuitive way to get them to separate.

Darcy, thanks for the offer, but I'm a bit on the move Hopping around Japan, then Taiwan, then Shanghai, Qingdao, Beijing, etc. As I mentioned on Twitter, I'm taking about 20 Tom Bihn products with me (and still carry-on only! well, I had to check the Western Flyer because I was bringing BBQ sauce, but it would have worked!)

Comment

• Darcy
              TOM BIHN Crew (we work here)
              • May 2003

Darcy, thanks for the offer, but I'm a bit on the move Hopping around Japan, then Taiwan, then Shanghai, Qingdao, Beijing, etc. As I mentioned on Twitter, I'm taking about 20 Tom Bihn products with me (and still carry-on only! well, I had to check the Western Flyer because I was bringing BBQ sauce, but it would have worked!)
              That sounds like a great trip. Any pictures?
              Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

• sammyz
                Forum Member
                • May 2009

I always travel with a keychain made of paracord for just these types of emergencies. You may not have any paracord on you, but if you can find a bit of cord, rope, shoelace, or even dental floss in a pinch you can fashion a relatively handy cord pull out of that by just looping it through and tying a largish knot.

The best knot for this is made by tying a "doubled up" overhand knot or a doubled up figure 8 knot. There are animated instructions at the link below, just substitute the loose ends rather than the looped end and you should be fine. I've used this fix before when I was in a similar situation.

Also known as "Bunny Ears", it is a stable double loop in the middle of a piece of rope and is based on the simple Figure 8 knot.

Comment

Working...
                X