Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,581   Posts: 188,347   Members: 6,547   Active Members: 296
Welcome to our newest member, ChantalSte.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New: Cord Zipper Pulls ($3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sammyz
    replied
    Originally posted by Just View Post
    Hi, I was just zipping up my Western Flyer (leaving on a trip tomorrow morning!), and the cord pull came off! Is there a quick fix for this? I can't seem to get the two plastic pieces to come apart to shove the cord back in... maybe I'm doing it wrong?
    I always travel with a keychain made of paracord for just these types of emergencies. You may not have any paracord on you, but if you can find a bit of cord, rope, shoelace, or even dental floss in a pinch you can fashion a relatively handy cord pull out of that by just looping it through and tying a largish knot.

The best knot for this is made by tying a "doubled up" overhand knot or a doubled up figure 8 knot. There are animated instructions at the link below, just substitute the loose ends rather than the looped end and you should be fine. I've used this fix before when I was in a similar situation.

http://www.animatedknots.com/fig8loo...matedknots.com

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Darcy, thanks for the offer, but I'm a bit on the move Hopping around Japan, then Taiwan, then Shanghai, Qingdao, Beijing, etc. As I mentioned on Twitter, I'm taking about 20 Tom Bihn products with me (and still carry-on only! well, I had to check the Western Flyer because I was bringing BBQ sauce, but it would have worked!)
    That sounds like a great trip. Any pictures?

Leave a comment:

• Just
    replied
    Originally posted by mruseless View Post
    IIRC, there is a small slot in the side of the plastic parts. If you slip a knife or small screwdriver in there, you should be able to pop the halves apart.
    Thanks! That worked. Although as Darcy said, it's a bit difficult.. it seemed that you have to angle the nail file, in my case, in the total counter-intuitive way to get them to separate.

Darcy, thanks for the offer, but I'm a bit on the move Hopping around Japan, then Taiwan, then Shanghai, Qingdao, Beijing, etc. As I mentioned on Twitter, I'm taking about 20 Tom Bihn products with me (and still carry-on only! well, I had to check the Western Flyer because I was bringing BBQ sauce, but it would have worked!)

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Hi, I was just zipping up my Western Flyer (leaving on a trip tomorrow morning!), and the cord pull came off! Is there a quick fix for this? I can't seem to get the two plastic pieces to come apart to shove the cord back in... maybe I'm doing it wrong?
    I'm sorry about that, Just. Can we send a couple of replacements to your destination? If so, email me the address. It is possible to get the pulls apart and put them back together, but it's difficult.

Leave a comment:

• mruseless
    replied
    IIRC, there is a small slot in the side of the plastic parts. If you slip a knife or small screwdriver in there, you should be able to pop the halves apart.

Leave a comment:

• Just
    replied
    Western Flyer cord pull

Leave a comment:

• mruseless
    replied
    Great solution to reduce noise!!

I received mine today, and I'm going to install them as ratdeau suggests.
    BTW, I use the figure 8 knots on my outdoor coats, they work great and are not as big as you think when you cinch them down tight.

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    Ratdeau you are a such a creative person!

Your pictures are great and so are your ideas, keep them coming

I love the idea of different cord lengths.

Leave a comment:

• PM4HIRE
    replied
    I use Red Oxx Monkey's Fist zipper pulls on
    all my bags and outerwear.

Leave a comment:

• Just
    replied
    Originally posted by moriond View Post
    The Red Oxx Monkey's Fist is an intriguing design, but not, I think, as comfortable to grip (IMHO).
    I think the idea with the Red Oxx Monkey's Fist is to grip the part before the monkey's fist knot. Especially since the knot is almost rock-solid!

Leave a comment:

• moriond
    replied
    Originally posted by ratdeau View Post
    Hi Darcy,

When we first discussed the noisy zipper's pull, you sent me some cord pulls with plastic end. I put them on and everything is ok. I will keep it like that.

To answer your question, I did some knots experiments. (Fortunately I've the quite the same cord in withe)

As a sailor I preffer style 2 and 4 knots because it's always possible to unty them. They look big but are flat.
    In every case, it's easier to do the knot, cut the rope and burn the end with a lighter. (I often do it)
    I like the style 2 knot, which looks fairly flat. What's appealing about this design, and about the zipper pulls that are now available for purchase, is that they're easy to grip. The Red Oxx Monkey's Fist is an intriguing design, but not, I think, as comfortable to grip (IMHO).

Leave a comment:

• ratdeau
    replied
    Hi Darcy,

When we first discussed the noisy zipper's pull, you sent me some cord pulls with plastic end. I put them on and everything is ok. I will keep it like that.

To answer your question, I did some knots experiments. (Fortunately I've the quite the same cord in withe)

As a sailor I preffer style 2 and 4 knots because it's always possible to unty them. They look big but are flat.
    In every case, it's easier to do the knot, cut the rope and burn the end with a lighter. (I often do it)

Here are the cords lenghts.

Original = 10.5 cm
    Number 1 = 20.0 cm
    Number 2 = 23.0 cm
    Number 3 = 18.5 cm
    Numebr 4 = 25.0 cm

Perhaps you could propose a short version (18 or 19 cm) and a longer version (25 cm) or only a 25 cm version let people cut it like they want.

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Originally posted by moriond View Post
    Darcy, I have the Western Flyer on pre-order. Could you add one set of cord pulls to this order?
    Sure! We have updated your order with 1 set of Cord Pulls.

Edited to add: June just informed me that the factory is going to push through all current backorders for the Western Flyer. Your order may ship as soon as Friday!
    Last edited by Darcy; 01-08-2008, 01:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• moriond
    replied
    Originally posted by ratdeau View Post
    These cords are perfect for me. They reduce the metal pulls noise and improve the grip on the pulls without beeing to long.
    I don't want long cords hanging from my bag and beiing caught all the time everywhere.
    OK, this sounds like a good solution. I like having the metal tabs available so that I can use a luggage lock if I have to, but would also like to reduce noise in cases where I don't use a lock. This would also work to cut down on the noise from the metal tabs on my Snake Charmer.

Darcy, I have the Western Flyer on pre-order. Could you add one set of cord pulls to this order? And I'm still hoping that you'll start offering Convertible Packing Cubes in Sapphire/White Dyneema so I'm waiting to place my order of packing cubes for the Western Flyer.

Leave a comment:

• ratdeau
    replied
    Perfect like that

Originally posted by Darcy View Post
    What ratdeau has used here are the same exact parts that we are making available in the 8-pack of Cord Zipper Pulls.

ratdeau: did you find the cords we sent you to be too short? They don't look too short to me (and aren't when I've used bags of ours that have cord pulls rather than metal pulls) but then again I'm more of a metal pull fan.
    These cords are perfect for me. They reduce the metal pulls noise and improve the grip on the pulls without beeing to long.
    I don't want long cords hanging from my bag and beiing caught all the time everywhere.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X