Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,824   Posts: 191,294   Members: 6,694   Active Members: 260
Welcome to our newest member, willydgil.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do guys pick ultraviolet often?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am perfectly ok with getting the color you like no matter what your gender. However, I am trying to decide if ultraviolet is a color I would be comfortable with. I am just not sure. So, I wonder - do many guys actually choose ultraviolet?
    S19 & S19/Island; S25/Island, S25/NW Sky; GE S25 & GE S25/Coyote; S30/Coyote; BB/Canyon; SA/Island, SA/U.V., SA/Wasabi, SA & SA/Steel; A30/Zest; A45/Island, A45/Steel; MCB/Wasabi, MCB & MCB/Canyon.

I am a guy, and own a A45, S25 and Pilot in Black or Halcyon with UV 200d interiors. I find the UV to be bright and striking with the white threading. I do like Iberian, but UV seemed to pair better with Black/Halcyon exteriors. I hope they bring monarch as a 200d interior at some point!

Comment

LOL. I'm not sure either -- but I say go for it.

I think UV would be great as the interior of a bag. If that's what you're thinking, the interiors are perfect for having something you like. Most people never see it.

My issue is stuff sacks. I have adopted them for all kinds of stuff. I carry them in coat pockets and in bags. At first, I was super conservative and bought only green and gray. (My A45 has an Iberian interior.). But it makes no sense to pack a bag with four green #2 stuff sacks. I never grab the right sack. So I should totally buy purple and red. But I have delayed out of some feeling like I already draw attention with the halcyon stuff sacks. Red and purple seem like too much. But I think I'm being silly. I got new bright blue sacks. That's so helpful to know gray is snacks, green is extra clothes and blue is charging cords. My next order will include a red and a purple stuff sack -- and I wish I had bought one of the oranges or yellows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I wouldn't rule it out, but it depends on other factors. I'm currently favoring Halcyon exteriors; in that case, I would prefer an UV interior to be matched with Nordic instead of Black, but I prefer Black (as far as Halcyon goes), so I would be unlikely to end up with an UV interior bag. However, this does make it easier to add an UV accessory.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardMcG View Post
          I am perfectly ok with getting the color you like no matter what your gender. However, I am trying to decide if ultraviolet is a color I would be comfortable with. I am just not sure. So, I wonder - do many guys actually choose ultraviolet?
          I think there are a number of guys on the forum who were pleasantly surprised by Ultraviolet as an interior. Here's a sample post from @milpool, who posted in his Western Flyer and DLBC - Perfect 1 bag travel combination. thread:

Originally posted by milpool View Post
          @moriond

You are right, the Black Dyneema/UV combination was not my first choice and I was hoping for either Wasabi or Iberian. I think I was nervous the UV might be a little too purple/not masculine enough for me. However after seeing it in person I am now a very big fan of this color combination. In fact I think I favor it over anything else I have seen.
          I know that @Perseffect has opted to purchase a couple of bags (both travel and backpack) in the Navy/Ultraviolet combination. I also think that Ultraviolet goes well with Steel (but I also think that Iberian can pair nicely with Steel Ballistic Nylon).

There are probably other forum members who can respond to your question.

HTH

moriond

Comment

I think that any color can be a great interior color. You have to own it. It could be an homage - I chose a purple notebook last year to honor one of the greats.

Click image for larger version

Name:	prince.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	348.9 KB
ID:	301022
            (internet says photo is from Getty Images)

I also remember a season of Project Runway in which Tim Gunn (a.k.a. The Natty Professor) lifted up the jacket collar of his suit to show a hidden purple lining. Only he knew it was there, and it made his suit jacket that much more awesome.
            Last edited by GoStanford; 01-11-2017, 10:04 PM.

Comment

As @Moriond states I'm a UV fan (and Wasabi as well).

I really like the Navy Ballistic/Uv combo and Grey Cordura/UV.

I've owned Steel Ballistic/UV in the past which is also great.

I've not been so keen on Black/UV for some reason and prefer Black/Wasabi in this case.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Comment

I love the UV inside a bag,where it belongs!

I think that pic explains the because?

Comment

My husband wears bright purple silk ties with purple cashmere sweaters and everyone (men and women) compliment him on the look. I think it's sexy. Purple is perfectly masculine.

Also, all our shared TB bags are aubergine ballistic. Hubby has never thought of the color as being not masculine. I think it's a perfectly nice alternative to a black bag. It's also easier to pick out our bags in a crowd.
                  Last edited by BWeaves; 01-12-2017, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Personally, I hate that society is still ingrained with the concept of 'masculine' and 'feminine' colours. I think people should just pick what they like and who cares what people around them think. I say if you like UV, go for it.

I'd have no problem at all having a bag with a UV interior. I'd probably not ever do UV exterior, not because of the colour itself, but because I don't think the checkered pattern of any of the halcyon's match the professional look I prefer. In the ballistic's though, I'd still be perfectly fine using an Aubergine bag if that's what was on hand. As I keep telling my kids, "A colour is just a colour".

Comment

I've got a NFTD in forest/ultraviolet which is one handsome colorway. I also have a 3D organizer cube, PCSB, and a stuff sack in UV. Purple is actually my third favorite color behind green and gray.
                      Follow me on Twitter or Instagram @moongooseryan

Comment

UV is a really nice color. I find it on the happy side of what one would expect of a royal associated purple color. My SSB is UV and I have a couple of bags with UV interior that I think makes finding things a bit less reliant of feel.

Comment

I'm a guy and I would have gotten my Cadet in purple were it available.

I did get a small travel tray in ultraviolet and I regret nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by phelan View Post
                            I am a guy, and own a A45, S25 and Pilot in Black or Halcyon with UV 200d interiors. I find the UV to be bright and striking with the white threading. I do like Iberian, but UV seemed to pair better with Black/Halcyon exteriors. I hope they bring monarch as a 200d interior at some point!
                            I think a broader selection of black halcyon/UV bags in general would be awesome, for guys and gals, starting with MB and cafe bags. (Pretty please!)

Comment

I see UV as a pink (I don't have an issue with pink being unisex). My husband and son see it as purple, a color they are both happy to carry/wear.

Comment

Working...
                              X