Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,498   Posts: 187,501   Members: 6,458   Active Members: 330
Welcome to our newest member, scjoyner.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grid for which bags fit Personal Size and Carry-on sizes by airline.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grid for which bags fit Personal Size and Carry-on sizes by airline.

I was wondering if there was already a thread in the forums that listed which bags fit which airlines maximum Personal Size bag as well as Maximum Carry-on size bag in a Grid format.

If not, can I make a request that we have such a page made? Something kind of like:

BEST VIEWED FROM COMPUTER, NOT TAPATALK

PERSONAL ITEM SIZE

PERSONAL ITEM SIZE
    BAG/w dimensions United Airlines
    9 in x 10 in x 17 in
    (22 cm x 25 cm x 43 cm)
    American Airlines
    36 in Linear
    (91 cm linear)
    Spirit Airlines
    18 x 14 x 8 in
    (45 x 35 x 20 cm)
    Allegiant
    38 linear in (16 x 15 x 7 in)
    96.5 linear cm (40.6 x 38.1 x 17.8 cm)
    Night Flight Travel Duffel
    9 x 10 x 17”
    228 x 255 x 432mm
    Yes Yes Yes No
    Pilot
    15.4" x 11.4" x 5.1"
    390 x 290 x 130 mm
    Maybe Yes Yes Yes
    Western Flyer
    18" x 12" x 7"
    455 x 305 x 180 mm
    No Maybe Yes Maybe
    Co-Pilot
    12" x 10" x 5"
    300 x 255 x 125 mm
    Yes Yes Yes Yes
    Synapse 19
    16" x 11.4" x 7.9"
    410 x 290 x 200 mm
    Maybe Yes Yes Maybe
    Carry-on Size

Or a combined table with one airline and both Personal-Size and Carry-on size columns underneath?

Anyone?
    Last edited by rczip; 02-18-2017, 08:30 PM.

Thank you for doing this. I wish you would go back and include more TB Bags!!!

Comment

Thank you for the reply! I just put that there as a sample of what I think the page should look like. I think for best effect, the grid would have to be part of the main site, not just something here as part of the forums. That way there could be small thumbnail images of each of the bags, too. The forums don't give as much control over making such a pretty grid. Darcy? Anyone at Tom Bihn?

Comment

I think part of the issue with this (otherwise great) idea is that TB bags are all 'soft sided' and therefore often can meet size restrictions when not packed full to bursting.

I've used many bags bigger (in specs) to personal item sized but lightly packed, they easily fit into the personal item sizer at the airport.

This is especially so with Halcyon and not impossible with Ballistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Comment

Originally posted by Perseffect View Post
          I think part of the issue with this (otherwise great) idea is that TB bags are all 'soft sided' and therefore often can meet size restrictions when not packed full to bursting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I think the easiest way to represent it would be to list the linear dimensions of each bag on each product page. Listing by airline becomes a laborious task as airlines change the rules periodically, and given the global users here on the forum, it'd be impossible to list every single airline in the world.

But I'm a bit of a spreadsheet lover and would be more than happy to put something together sorted by linear dimensions, with links to airlines baggage restrictions (that way it'd always be up to date). People could then use it as a rough guideline too if they weren't filling their bags to capacity. Happy to put together if TB want to start a Sticky for it

Edit - Ok so I got bored and just started typing away. Here's a rough draft if anyone finds this useful. Happy to present it much better and continue with airline information if people actually find it useful
          https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68556128/TB.pdf
          Last edited by makak; 02-20-2017, 04:16 AM. Reason: Created the pdf

Comment

I think this is a great idea. I'd suggest creating a Google Sheet. Then you can invite others to help edit. I'd be happy to participate if you message me. If @makak would like, we could start with that sheet and add to it a bit?

As @Perseffect correctly points out, the exact dimensions are less important with soft-sided bags than hard ones, but it is still useful to know the general guidelines for each airline. It does get complicated. To avoid having too many columns, maybe pick a few common dimensions and list those. For example,
            22x14x9 is used by Delta, American, JetBlue, and United. Add in 22x18x10, 22x16x9, and 18x14x8, and that covers a lot of airlines.
            ----
            All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
            Edmund Burke

Comment

Great job, @makak. Now if you'd add a column for bag weight...
              Synik 22, Truck, Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC HLT2, Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Comment

I gave it a little bit of a try. Let me know what you think:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Comment

I have my own crazy grid keeping track of bags-- glad to see I am not the only one!

I updated the Google Doc for BA. In deciding if it was compliant or not, I actually went with the stated measurements. I put maybe for things that have at least one dimension over, but most likely not be a problem (unless the main cabin bag was huge as well.)

Editing to add that I included Swiss, too.
                  Last edited by turnleftbrighteyes; 02-20-2017, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Thank you!

For everyone else, there are 2 sheets, one for Personal Items and one for Carry-On. The trickier one is the personal size one I think, since there is less standardization. On the flip-side, there aren't too many airlines with sizes on personal items at the moment.

Comment

Nice, I like it!
                      Today is a good day for a good day!

Comment

I'll keep adding to it, but I wanted to add bags first, then airlines. Thanks to all who have looked and added to it!

Comment

Originally posted by rczip View Post
                          I gave it a little bit of a try. Let me know what you think:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
                          Nice work. Thank you, rczip and turnleftbrighteyes and everyone else who contributed! I think a shared document that can be updated by different folks as necessary is a good way to go about creating this kind of resource.
                          Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Thanks for this great idea! Be nice to also see bag size in liters next to the dimensions.

Comment

Feel free to make changes if you feel they make sense!
                              Thank you for the positive feedback everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X