Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,498   Posts: 187,501   Members: 6,458   Active Members: 330
Welcome to our newest member, scjoyner.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grid for which bags fit Personal Size and Carry-on sizes by airline.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantastic job! I love the pictures, and the way you've locked the headers so they stay fixed in place.
    I will take a look at it later this week and see if there is anything I can add.
    Thanks so much for doing it!
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Comment

Maybe I missed this somewhere, but I've been completely unsuccessful trying to argue the linear limit on a roll-a-board last year (documented in the forums). American was completely unwilling to help get passed security in Philadelphia with a bag that met the old 45" linear limit for a carry-on. Maybe they would be more willing at a gate, and for the most part they will let almost anything through, but when I ran into an overzealous line checker and a gruffy American supervisor there was no consideration. They later offered me a $100 travel voucher when I described the experience to customer service, but they never agreed to the linear measurement argument. United has the same policy.

I believe both list dimensions, but also with the disclaimer that it must fit the airport sizer, suggesting to me that it could change from the standard.

Because of that, I questioned the Founder's briefcase as a Yes for United. I do sometimes try with my S25, but usually it's severely understuffed and should fit the personal item bin.

American's website...

Your personal item must fit under the seat in front of you. Dimensions should not exceed 18 x 14 x 8 inches (45 x 35 x 20 cm )

Carry-on
      Shouldn’t exceed 22 x 14 x 9 inches / 56 x 36 x 23 centimeters (including handles and wheels)
      Must fit in the sizer at the airport

Comment

Originally posted by slbear View Post
        Maybe I missed this somewhere, but I've been completely unsuccessful trying to argue the linear limit on a roll-a-board last year (documented in the forums). American was completely unwilling to help get passed security in Philadelphia with a bag that met the old 45" linear limit for a carry-on. Maybe they would be more willing at a gate, and for the most part they will let almost anything through, but when I ran into an overzealous line checker and a gruffy American supervisor there was no consideration. They later offered me a $100 travel voucher when I described the experience to customer service, but they never agreed to the linear measurement argument. United has the same policy.

I believe both list dimensions, but also with the disclaimer that it must fit the airport sizer, suggesting to me that it could change from the standard.

Because of that, I questioned the Founder's briefcase as a Yes for United. I do sometimes try with my S25, but usually it's severely understuffed and should fit the personal item bin.

American's website...

Your personal item must fit under the seat in front of you. Dimensions should not exceed 18 x 14 x 8 inches (45 x 35 x 20 cm )

Carry-on
        Shouldn’t exceed 22 x 14 x 9 inches / 56 x 36 x 23 centimeters (including handles and wheels)
        Must fit in the sizer at the airport

I changed Founders Briefcase Personal Item Size from a Yes to a Maybe. Based on the numbers, I think it should have been a Maybe, not a Yes.

I agree that just linear inches is probably not enough for many airlines that do give 3 sizes. Usually if they list 3 sizes, they have a sizer with those dimensions at the gate. If it doesn't fit the sizer, it's not accepted. That's why I put the 3 dimensions for the airlines in question if they were specified. I could imagine a situation where something fits the linear size, but not the 3 sizes and thus gets rejected at the gate.

Thanks for the feedback

Comment

It may go without saying, but I'm sure many will always* glide through security and at the gate with a Founder's briefcase or any of the TB bags that might be slightly over-sized but not over-stuffed as a personal item. I never had a problem with my International roll-a-board that was shorter, but slightly wider than the 22x14x9 US standard, but when I was called to task, it really really sucked to check it. I know others here share my goal to be beyond question at the luggage sizer, which is why I pointed it out.

Fast forward and I haven't used that roll-a-board for a year, and instead fit what I need into my A30 - and I'm so much happier for it. My personal item is typically a smaller Timbuk2 messenger or my A25, both understuffed and squishable into the personal item sizer. No one has even asked me size it. Last week, however, I used a fairly new DLBC, and it was...wait for it...inside my A30. I finally had a one-bag trip, granted a quick overnight to Denver. I'm not meaning to steer this thread off course, but I had to share this long time personal goal. Also it reminds me that in the grand scheme of things. Over max is bad, maximum allowable is good, less than max is better, and one-bag is best.

Comment

I agree a TB bag that's slightly too big may be OK on a flight. I brought my halcyon A30 as a "personal item" on Frontier a few weeks ago. I didn't pay for a carry on, and just left the top end pocket empty. I smushed it down a little but no one gave it a second glance as I went past the gate agents. They were stopping other people with multiple bags to pay a carry on fee.

Comment

@slbear, Philadelphia is notorious for having, uh, let's say extremely unpleasant staff at security that turn away people even with fully compliant bags, so your experience there is not unusual and has less to do, maybe, with the bag or airline requirements and more to do with unpleasant, power-tripping contracted ground staff.

Comment

Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
                Fantastic job! I love the pictures ....
                Thanks so much for doing it!
                Ditto! This will be an extremely useful resource.

Am I correctly interpreting your comments, @crzip, to think that (1) you intend keep adding more bags to complete the lineup, and (2) once you're done adding bags, you would welcome the rest of us to add in more airlines?

Comment

Originally posted by turnleftbrighteyes View Post
                  @slbear, Philadelphia is notorious for having, uh, let's say extremely unpleasant staff at security that turn away people even with fully compliant bags, so your experience there is not unusual and has less to do, maybe, with the bag or airline requirements and more to do with unpleasant, power-tripping contracted ground staff.
                  They are awful at the Philadelphia airport. Astoundingly rude and chip-on-their-shoulder attitudes. My husband got reprimanded by a burly agent for placing his ID on the desk instead of in the agent's hand (my husband was struggling with his hands full, not purposefully trying to make the agent do all that "extra work" of extending an arm). Another airport staffer told me with a sneer "Try to have a nice day." Who says that??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Don’t make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, don’t hesitate to make it beautiful. — Shaker Philosophy

Comment

Originally posted by rczip View Post
                    Feel free to make changes if you feel they make sense!
                    Thank you for the positive feedback everyone.
                    It looks like the sheet what changed/deleted today. What I saw yesterday was perfect but now the document shows an agenda for a meeting in 2013 (but title of the document is TomBihn by Airline). Looks like anonymous users -- I just restored to a version that had the pictures/information.
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    LS; Swift; A45 in Black/Steel; MB; MCB - Olive and Linen; SCB; numerous yarn stuff sacks & organizer pouches;

Comment

Working...
                    X