Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,524   Posts: 187,774   Members: 6,485   Active Members: 303
Welcome to our newest member, questah043.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which bag for overnight (or 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which bag for overnight (or 2)

I have the Aeronaut 30 and love it but it is just too big for an over night business trip. I need a backpack for an overnight (or 2). In the bag:
    macbook 11"
    cords in a travel tray (macbook cord, 2 apple iphone cords (don't judge), earbuds, and a small belkin power strip)
    change of unders
    quart liquids bag
    PJs
    Change of clothes (might be a suit or a pair of pants and a top) and a set of workout cloths (not bulky)
    *MAYBE* a change of shoes
    ipad
    waterbottle

Do want a
    S19? S25? SmartAlec? Please advise experts! Thanks!
    Aeronaut 30 in Aubergine/Wasabi
    Ristretto in Olive/Cayenne
    Small cafe in Plum Cordura/Olive
    Western Flyer in Black/Island
    Synapse 19 in Burnt Orange/Northwest Sky
    Smart Alec in Black/Iberian
    Synapse 25 in Red Blend/Northwest Sky
    Small Cafe bag in Red Blend/Navy (EDCB)
    Accessories:travel tray , Travel Laundry Stuff Sack, 3D Organizer Cube, Set of A30 Aether Packing Cubes, Side Effect, and a Double Organizer Pouch I use as a wallet.

My first thought is S19, it would be a great compliment to your A30, although I have a couple reservations. If shoes might be on the list, the size and style will likely mean the S19 is not going to work, otherwise I think it would be a perfect bag. The SA and S25 are so close in volume to the A30 and might be a bit redundant, would it be possible to get an S19 and then use the A30 when you bring shoes? Also, a suit will probably be extremely difficult to get into an S19 without some crazy mad packing and folding skills, but then again you do already have the A30 that could be used.
    Last edited by DeBru; 03-07-2017, 11:33 AM. Reason: Typo
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color 好的朋友

Comment

A western flyer would seem perfect for this, especially for flat packing the suit (and the potential shoes).

Looks the part in a business environment too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Comment

I think the S19 is streching it, when it comes to shoes. Otherwise it is a great bag and for someone with packing expericance and a minimalistic approach the S19 can go a looooong way. Ceepee is rocking it for a 10 day trip wich is quite impressive. BUT no extra pair of shoes and no suit.
        The Western Flyer would of cause work, and work well. But as you asked for the three backpacks I will just point out some differences between the SA and S25:

1. the S25 dedicated Bottle Bocket is very conveniont and if you are carrying a bottle a great layout for that. Other things will fit in there well too of cause
        2. the S25 has one ziped compartment more than the SA (which you could compansate with the Upper Modular Pocket for the SA should you need the exptra organisation)
        3. the main compartment of the S25 is slimmer that on the SA so your load would deffinatly work but should you ever want to carry something that can not be packed flattish the SA is more flexible for odd shapes
        4. the waterbottle pocket on the SA is one of the side pockets with a drainage whole. If you are wary of leakages this pocket would keep the content of the maincompartment dry and save.
        5. the S25 looks good underpacked too. The SA can look a bit hungry if not full. BUT on the other side: if you stuff both bags than the S25 can "egg" (which means it can get so rounded out on the side that sits on your back, that it can become uncompftable) I have not yet seen this phenomen on a SA.
        6. through the Modular Pockets you can add quite a bit space to the SAs but since you have the A30 that might not be of interest for you.
        7. the zipper layout is very different on both bags to a point where, should pickpockets be a concern that the SA is a more secure layout. All the zippers there are very close the the body of the wearer.
        8. the bottom of the SA is padded
        9. both bags can be packed so they stand on their own. But with the SA this is easier to achive. If not packed with that goal in mind both bags might need something to lean against.
        10. The bunjee-cord on the outside of a SA is conveniond if you like this sort of quick access points.

At the end of the day: both of these backpacks are great and both will work for what you discribe. So if you have a preference regarding their optics, than go for it.

Ilkyway
        “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Comment

Sorry, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the A30 being too big. Wow
          Previous owned: A45 ballistic, NFTD
          Own:A45 Black Halcyon, A30 black ballistic, WF black ballistic, DLBC black Halcyon, DLBP original black dyneema, various packing cubes

Comment

Ceepee is doing a 10 day trip in a S19... I saw her pack it and am still amazed.

Ilkyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Comment

+1 for @Perseffect's suggestion of a Western Flyer - mainly because of the suit. If you want the best chance for it to be unwrinkled, the WF is built for this.

If you are ok to "roll" your suit, then I would say an Synapse 25 is your best bet as it can be slim if not carrying everything (e.g. EDC only or not having your shoes) but have enough space for any optional items if needed (the S25 has almost the same volume as the WF - within 1 litre or 74 cu in). I like that it can switch from EDC to one bag / 1 day travel very easily.

The Smart Alec would be good too (same volume as the WF) but it is not as flexible with half or partial loads because it is basically one big compartment (though there are ways to add organization that will work) The beauty of the SA is that you can customize how you want to pack. The S25 has predefined organization "zones".

I would say the Synapse 19 might be pushing it depending on your size (for me, at 5'11" and not thin, I would not be able to do it with my want for 'spares' to be available)

Hope this helps
              Cheers!
              Last edited by tpnl; 03-08-2017, 08:57 AM.
              TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

I don't have a SA, but I love weekend travel with a S25; it can hold what you need and you still have enough room to stuff your coat in if you need to. I find the S19 seriously too small—it fills up very quickly. especially if you have a computer in it. Sidenote: my S19 is ballistic and I think the rigidity of the fabric contributes to its lack of flexibility...my S25 is dyneema and it is magical how it elegantly accomodates whatever I put in it.

Comment

I've traveled with a suit and dress shoes in a Smart Alec many times and I think its "one large bucket" design really maximizes the ability to carry different loads, but for business travel, I really like carrying the Western Flyer in backpack mode - it's the same volume as the SA, but the large flat compartments lend themselves very nicely to transporting folded dress shirts and suits, and depending on the shoes, you could slip them in as well.

Comment

Originally posted by 1holegrouper View Post
                    Sorry, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the A30 being too big. Wow
                    Agreed. The A30 is a perfect 2 day bag. Nothing wrong with underpacking it.

Comment

Originally posted by BWeaves View Post
                      Agreed. The A30 is a perfect 2 day bag. Nothing wrong with underpacking it.
                      I must admit that sometimes I go with my WF. That is usually when I think I won't be able to use the overhead bin on a particular flight.
                      Previous owned: A45 ballistic, NFTD
                      Own:A45 Black Halcyon, A30 black ballistic, WF black ballistic, DLBC black Halcyon, DLBP original black dyneema, various packing cubes

Comment

Thanks all! I've ordered a bunch of bags to see what might work best including the WF (which I will gift to DH for Father's Day if I don't love it) and the S19, S25 and the SA (I am learning the acronyms!). I kind of think the S19 might be too similar to the Ristretto which I have. I wish an end compartment of the A30 could be zipped INTO the A30 if I didn't need it (or both). Also I find even with the straps that stuff moves around too much in the A30 if I am not stuffing it. It is great for a week but seems too big for a couple of days (guess I am a light packer). Yesterday I did an overnight with everything in a L28 backpack which was still too big even with my small cafe bag in it.
                        Accessories:travel tray , Travel Laundry Stuff Sack, 3D Organizer Cube, Set of A30 Aether Packing Cubes, Side Effect, and a Double Organizer Pouch I use as a wallet.

Comment

Originally posted by hillview View Post
                          I have the Aeronaut 30 and love it but it is just too big for an over night business trip. I need a backpack for an overnight (or 2). In the bag:
                          macbook 11"
                          cords in a travel tray (macbook cord, 2 apple iphone cords (don't judge), earbuds, and a small belkin power strip)
                          change of unders
                          quart liquids bag
                          PJs
                          Change of clothes (might be a suit or a pair of pants and a top) and a set of workout cloths (not bulky)
                          *MAYBE* a change of shoes
                          ipad
                          waterbottle

Do want a
                          S19? S25? SmartAlec? Please advise experts! Thanks!
                          I carry pretty much exactly this plus a small knitting project and a side effect as purse. I fit it all in my S25. The bag always looks way too full but still fits more.

Comment

Originally posted by Saltgirl View Post
                            I carry pretty much exactly this plus a small knitting project and a side effect as purse. I fit it all in my S25. The bag always looks way too full but still fits more.
                            My S25 came today and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by hillview View Post
                              I wish an end compartment of the A30 could be zipped INTO the A30 if I didn't need it (or both).
                              If I understand you correctly, it does. From the product page:

The main body of the bag is divided into three significant compartments: a large center compartment flanked on both ends by substantial end compartments. Don't need one end compartment or the other, or need to fit something bigger than expected in the main compartment? The panels dividing the end compartments from the main compartment of the bag unzip — another versatile feature allowing you to customize the Aeronaut 30 to your needs.

Comment

Working...
                              X