Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,524   Posts: 187,777   Members: 6,485   Active Members: 303
Welcome to our newest member, questah043.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Trip as a "Bihn-er"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Trip as a "Bihn-er"

Hey folks!

Just got back from my first trip with my new Aeronaut 45 and the DLBC. I can see where this addiction can happen! I travel for business and had to make a trip from NJ to San Francisco, then San Fran to San Diego and because there were no direct flights out of San Diego, back to San Fran to head home (all within 3 days) First Kudos to the Tom Bihn crew for expediting my order so I could get everything before I left. I've traditionally always been a roller and backpack traveler but really wanted to go to this one bag travel system. I really didn't think it would work out and I'm still tweaking my system but I'm pretty happy. I used an Eagle Creek pack-it folder for my clothes (2 pairs of trousers, 2 button downs, a polo and a t-shirt) the laundry bag for boxers, socks and undershirts, 3D clear cube for toiletries and another Eagle creek bag for non liquid toiletry items. I work an IT so I do need to carry a decent amount of electronic gear and I love photography so I wanted to bring my Panasonic G7 and another lens. This is where the DLBC came in. I also ordered a Freudian slip, but felt that it didn't fit the bill so I'll be returning it. Since I don't usually use my laptop on the plane, I put that in a cache in the backpack strap slot on the A45. The DLBC held my cables, battery pack, pens, etc (in a Grid-IT) camera in a domke wrap and lens, 8" tablet, Bose headphones, some snacks, a bottle of water and i still had room to spare. I put that in the A45 to navigate thru the airport. Honestly the A45 was a bit heavy and walking thru with just an absolute strap wasn't very comfortable....That's when I unleashed the backpack straps. What a difference! I found you really can zip thru the airport a lot faster not towing a roller behind...BRILLIANT. Once we were about to board, I took out the DLBC and that was under my seat, Aeronaut in the overhead. It barely takes up any space. Once I got to Cali, I swapped the cache into the DLBC and kept the tablet and headphones in the A45 back at the hotel and used the DLBC while out an about. I really love this bag and will be taking it to work daily to NYC. It's surprisingly amazing how much it will fit.

I know I over packed a bit for this trip, but I could of definitely put more into the A45. With the backpack straps its a breeze to manage the weight. The eagle creek pack-it folder does take up a lot of room that I had to unzip the side pouches. I ordered a packing cube from TB today (I would LOVE if TB made the packing cube backpack in some more neutral colors) and because now I"m addicted, a couple organizer pouches and oh yeah, a Synapse 19 to become a dedicated camera/hiking bag. I really think I could do a Tri-Star or even the Synapse and the Night Flight Duffel.

Shout out to all the members of this forum with great tips, tricks, and insight. You've got yourself a new Bihn-er.

Tony

Sounds like a successful trip... and it's good that you have quickly recognized the addiction
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color 好的朋友

Comment

Working...
    X