Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,524   Posts: 187,772   Members: 6,485   Active Members: 303
Welcome to our newest member, questah043.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Space for mini luggage cart in Aeronaut 30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Space for mini luggage cart in Aeronaut 30?

I discovered Tom Bihn luggage while looking for a bag exactly fitting the new United Airlines underseat specification. Tom Bihn's Night Flight amazingly is the only one. I love the Tom Bihn approach to design and the quality of materials. Because I have a now-discontinued Tumi carry-on from the company's good old days, my main interest beyond the Night Flight is the Aeronaut 30. I'd like to be able to pack a small luggage cart in the Aeronaut 30 and use it to wheel the 30 and the Night Flight when I fly with both. But it's hard to visualize whether the model I have in mind,
    https://www.amazon.com/BlueJan-A-1-L...n+luggage+cart
    3.1 x 9.1 x 17.7 inches
    will fit in the Aeronaut 30 with the zippers open, and if so whether there would still be room for 2 Aeronaut 30 packing cubes much less space in what remains of end pockets. From other posts I've seen that it wouldn't fit in the backpack strap compartment.
    The last thread on luggage carts was several years ago. Does anybody have more recent experience? Thanks for any observations and suggestions.

Are you going to have to pack the luggage cart all the time, or even most of the time? If you can't use the end pockets of the A30 you may be better off with a Yeoman, with the one big pocket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

When you unzip the internal dividers, it doesn't open up the inside of the bag, because the dividers are still attached at the top. It just gives you a bit more room at the bottom of the bag. So the cart would have to fit in the bottom of the bag.

Assuming that the luggage cart did fit in the bottom of the A30, you'd have to pack all your stuff on top of it. Which means that you'd have to unpack your A30 at the gate, put the cart in, repack your luggage, board your plane. Then when you get to your destination, deplane, unpack your A30, get the cart out, repack your A30, strap everything to the cart.

Add to this that the cart will take up almost half the A30 and you have actually packed very little clothing and toiletries in the A30. Whatever you pack in two A30 packing cubes and the NF will fit completely in the A30 by itself and you could one bag it and leave the cart at home.

I realize you want something to put under the seat in front of you, but it just seems like you're trying to make a rollaboard out bags designed to be carrys. What about buying a small rollaboard to use with your NF, and you can set the NF on the rollaboard to wheel it around?
      Last edited by BWeaves; 03-10-2017, 05:37 AM.

Comment

And you would have to pack the luggage cart inside a plastic bag because otherwise you would get all of the dirt and grime of the ground inside your lovely bag.

I have the smallest size of Samsonite spinner and until I needed to travel hands-free, I would have used that for a carryon since I don't like carrying bags in my hands/shoulders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

In my opinion hauling around a luggage cart sort of kills the convenience and utility that the A30 would bring you. If you want wheels I would get a Briggs and Riley Baseline Rolling Cabin Bag. Essentially the same volume but with wheels. I have both bags (A30 and B&R) and if I wanted wheels it would be the B&R. But, for me the B&R is only collecting dust so I'm selling it to a colleague who had back surgery and cannot carry luggage well.
          Previous owned: A45 ballistic, NFTD
          Own:A45 Black Halcyon, A30 black ballistic, WF black ballistic, DLBC black Halcyon, DLBP original black dyneema, various packing cubes

Comment

As much as I love Tom Bihn, if what you want is the ability to wheel your carry on sized bag, there are options with the wheels built in that would be a much simpler solution. Including some that have backpack straps in addition to wheels.

Comment

Many thanks for the helpful replies. They confirm my concerns. I've been looking at wheeled alternatives, too. So I think I'll just get the Night Flight.

Comment

Working...
              X