Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,493   Posts: 187,444   Members: 6,454   Active Members: 329
Welcome to our newest member, bored_and_agitated.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I want a TS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I want a TS?

I like my WF better than my A30, because I'm a flat packer. I keep wondering if I want a TS. The WF and A30 are a bit small, but I love my D36 (medium Road Duffle).

The thing I worry about is not the main compartments, because I'm a flat packer, I don't think the TS would bulge on me. I worry about the front pockets. The front pockets seem sort of useless to me. They are so flat that I'm not sure what I could possibly fit in them. I can't use the front pockets on the WF for the same reasons.

Also, the WF is about my limit to carry, and I read about so many people downsizing from the TS to the WF.

Those of you who have both bags, TS and WF, please share your thoughts on the TS.

Also, there are so few colors of the TS available, that I wonder if it’s being discontinued.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 03-15-2017, 06:52 AM.

From what I've seen of your posts, you have no problem being a lightweight traveler. Why would you possibly want to go larger other than just trying to look for an excuse to appease your Bihndiction?

Comment

BWA-hahahahah, Bihndiction. I think you just nailed it. I'm so busted.

It bugs me to have to use a second bag when I'm trying to one bag it and that last couple of things just won't fit.

Comment

This is why I added a WF 33 onto the Wish List. And an Aeronaut 36.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Comment

Ah yes! I'd love those two, if they existed.

Comment

I love the TS and I use the front pockets fully every time.
            I stick the things in them that I would put in my Travel Tray mainly,Lights,Kleenex,Gum,Meds,Glases cleaning stuff,Zip Locks with snacks,pretty much anything and everything that I need access to without having to open the bag at all.
            I think they will hold a lot more than you do and I love those pockets!
            Now I am not as enthusiastic overall with the Bottle Pocket and I usually end up just using that one for more stuff like in the other pockets but when I stick the bigger Sport bottles in there I can either not slide one in at all or it get squeezed out without my knowing somehow?

It can sure be easy to overload the TS though too and I am not sure I have ever carried mine not crammed full even once?
            I have often considered adding the WF to my mix but I think I am better off in that size range with a Backpack or real Briefcase most of the time.

And those who do not need a TS would never ask if they do.

Sure I can stop any time too!?

Comment

Just thinking about some of your points:

The WF is about my limit to carry.
              It bugs me to have to use a second bag when I'm trying to one bag it and that last couple of things just won't fit.

Given the above, I think, when using the TS, weight would not be a problem as you would already be carrying the same weight if you used the WF and needed a 2nd bag for items that would not fit. It would just be more convenient in the one TS bag.

I think the problem with weight / bulging occurs if one tends to pack extra things just because there is extra space. The TS is 7L (400 cu in) bigger than the WF - the same weight/volume as carrying a WF and either a MCB or LS.

So, I would say that it could work if you are ok with the TS dimensions (1" greater in all directions).

Note: I also believe the TS is going to be in production for a while. There is even a new picture on the TB front page and I believe a relatively new video of a original Halcyon TS.

Hope this helps
              Cheers!
              Last edited by tpnl; 03-15-2017, 10:52 AM.
              TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

The Tristar was my first travel bag (since owned WF, A30, A45, RD36). It's the one I do keep coming back to for work related trips (90% of my travel is business).

Although I love my WF the Tristar just gives that extra little space to stop the WF looking bursting at the seams.

For me it's:
                - having the flexibility of that extra centre compartment for those final few things
                - tie down straps in the back compartment which I always use
                - it keeps is square shape better (I feel the WF curves slightly in the corners when full)
                - the double handles are more comfortable to me
                - I can one bag with this much more readily than the WF + small personal item

The TS is not perfect, it can get heavy when very full and looks awful when it bulges. But I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Comment

Just found the link to an old post I wrote about why the Tristar works for me.

https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...-tri-star.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Comment

Working...
                  X