Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,586   Posts: 188,410   Members: 6,562   Active Members: 320
Welcome to our newest member, Arlene31H3.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WF as personal item/cabin bag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WF as personal item/cabin bag?

I am searching for a new bag to use on international flights and longer trips as my cabin bag/personal item. On these trips I travel with a small roller bag and a good size personal item that holds a couple file folders and a book, my kindle, toiletries, a travel pillow, pashmina, socks and undies, a clean shirt, rain shell in a pouch, and other bits and bobs (I pack an empty, small EDC to use at my destination). In the past I have used a B & R tote as my personal item but it is heavy on my shoulder and when I slide it over my roller handle the pressure on my wrist is uncomfortable. I have also been moving around more frequently on trains, planes and bumpy sidewalks and am thinking that a bag that I can carry backpack or messenger style might be better option.

I have a Synapse 25 in the house that was purloined my my college age daughter as a school bag. I need a bag in that size range that I can pack and organize differently than a backpack. I began by looking at the NF Duffel but am concerned that it is too small for my needs. The WF looks like a great bag and I really like the option of cross body carry or wearing it as a backpack (my husband has a A45 and I love the TB backpack straps). My question for all of you is how you organize it and access items in flight or on a train, etc. I usually fly E+ or business on long flights (points and status) so I have a bit of underseat room but I can't envision how to travel with folders and books and how to find things in the WF. Is it easy to arrange in a combo brief case/cabin bag fashion? Does one need to lay it flat to open it and access the contents? Are there accessories that help with these questions? A specific fabric?

Hi. The Western Flyer can be accessed from the top, when it is standing up. Here is a video another forum member made that does a great job of showing how the WF packs: https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...ht=#post128471
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Comment

As mentioned in the video, it works fine as an EDC with various addons (freudian slip, organizer pouches/cubes, etc). I my WF for 1-2 nights and have everything in it. I don't carry much in the way of folders but all of my pens and such go into an organizer cube, along with some pouches for for headphones and small misc stuff, laptop is in a separate sleeve, notebook in the top front facing pocket. The ballistic tends to hold its shape a bit better which makes it a better choice for an EDC vs the halcyon. Getting at that things through the top isn't difficult as long as you have some accessories for the organization. I use colored key straps to make finding those pouches and cubes easier in the bag.

Comment

It really depends on the airline whether or not you will be allowed to take the WF as a "personal" item. Many of them are getting strict and now have size limits.
        Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers.

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Comment

Thanks to each of you for the replies. The video was especially helpful and led me to search for other videos on the WF-they are all very informative. I can see that a Freudian Slip and some organizer pouches will be great for this bag and appreciate all of the feedback.

Comment

A follow up question: which Freudian Slip fits well in the WF? I see one that says it's for the Tri-Star/Empire Builder and other sizes for the Cafe bags and Synapses. I'm sure that one of these will work?

Comment

Originally posted by Frank II View Post
              It really depends on the airline whether or not you will be allowed to take the WF as a "personal" item. Many of them are getting strict and now have size limits.
              I'm on 4-8 flights a month from small, regional commuters to larger, international flights and I've never had someone even question the WF in the year+ I've had it. In my experience something that looks like a briefcase just automatically gets treated as a personal item. Assuming its not overstuffed, it should fit under just about any seat in the worst case scenario. Only time you may get questioned is a budget carrier like Spirit or Frontier as charging for carryons is part of their revenue model. I don't fly them often if at all to have much experience with them.

Comment

Originally posted by hachkc View Post
                I'm on 4-8 flights a month from small, regional commuters to larger, international flights and I've never had someone even question the WF in the year+ I've had it. In my experience something that looks like a briefcase just automatically gets treated as a personal item. Assuming its not overstuffed, it should fit under just about any seat in the worst case scenario. Only time you may get questioned is a budget carrier like Spirit or Frontier as charging for carryons is part of their revenue model. I don't fly them often if at all to have much experience with them.
                Many non-U.S. airlines are strict with the size of both carry on and personal items in terms of size and weight. Many now even state the exact size limit of the personal item and even its weight. Sizers are appearing for both carry-on bags and personal items. If you're flying up front, they usually look the other way. But if not, they are getting tougher because it becomes a revenue stream. This is particularly prevalent on inter European flights. U.S. based airlines are the most lenient and usually look the other way even if you have three large bags. European carriers are getting stricter.
                Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers.

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Comment

I'm debating the WF myself. At the moment I'm beyond delighted with the DLBP clothes/PCSB purse /DLBC work junk combo but if I end up traveling with my laptop the WF is really more practical.

Comment

I think it would serve you well and be fine for 95-99% of your flights- and that is worst case. You could fly for years, policies being as they are now, and not run into ANY problems (on US and non-regional international) If you do this I recommend a dark color as it would look smaller and gain less attention. I would suggest having a strategy for "that one flight"- just in case. ex; pull out your fragiles and put them into your location EDC bag whilst they check your WF. Believe it or not it will handle being checked in very well. I know, shudder the thought, lol.
                    Previous owned: A45 ballistic, NFTD
                    Own:A45 Black Halcyon, A30 black ballistic, WF black ballistic, DLBC black Halcyon, DLBP original black dyneema, various packing cubes

Comment

Originally posted by Frank II View Post
                      Many non-U.S. airlines are strict with the size of both carry on and personal items in terms of size and weight. Many now even state the exact size limit of the personal item and even its weight. Sizers are appearing for both carry-on bags and personal items. If you're flying up front, they usually look the other way. But if not, they are getting tougher because it becomes a revenue stream. This is particularly prevalent on inter European flights. U.S. based airlines are the most lenient and usually look the other way even if you have three large bags. European carriers are getting stricter.
                      My experience outside of North America is non-existent so your mileage will vary.

Comment

I have never been hassled with a packed-to-the-gills WF on any airline, domestic or international. Haven't done Ryanair, but Spirit and Allegiant were no issue.

Comment

Working...
                        X