Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,582   Posts: 188,368   Members: 6,553   Active Members: 307
Welcome to our newest member, LucaDebenh.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Washing bags- cat dander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washing bags- cat dander

I bought a second hand bag, navy/ solar s19. I didn't know until after I bought it that the owner had cats. The bag is clean and very well kept. I am allergic to cats. I touch the bag and instantly start itching. Any suggestions? I really like the bag but am afraid to use it. I read about submerging the bag in a bathtub and using a soft soap to clean it. Will this work to get out the cat dander/oil? Thanks in advance.

I can't speak to specific cat allergy/ cleaning solutions but I've washed TB bags in both the bath and a UK (front loading) washing machine.

In both cases, the goal was gentle hand washing with natural soap flakes. A45 in the bath by hand and S25 and SCB in the machine on hand wash cycle.

I allowed both to drip dry outside and got great results both ways.

Any dirt, discolouration, light hairs etc were gone and no damage to the fabric or straps.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Comment

Originally posted by Mbladen View Post
      I bought a second hand bag, navy/ solar s19. I didn't know until after I bought it that the owner had cats. The bag is clean and very well kept. I am allergic to cats. I touch the bag and instantly start itching. Any suggestions? I really like the bag but am afraid to use it. I read about submerging the bag in a bathtub and using a soft soap to clean it. Will this work to get out the cat dander/oil? Thanks in advance.
      I sympathize; our oldest son (now an adult) has the same allergy. We have no pets. If I were you, I'd simply get rid of the bag. Life's too short.
      Go Navy

Comment

I ended up putting on eBay. Too bad too because it is a Navy/Solar S19 and I really like it!

Comment

The Synapse will be mine, all mine!
          I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Comment

Yep, yep!!��

Comment

Working...
            X