Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,524   Posts: 187,772   Members: 6,485   Active Members: 303
Welcome to our newest member, questah043.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Synapse 19 - I know it's bad but do any of you use a washing machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synapse 19 - I know it's bad but do any of you use a washing machine?

Hi guys,

I know we are not supposed to use a washing machine and it voids the warranty. But I wanted to know if anyone out there has tried it and what happens if you do?

I have a synapse 19 and I was considering washing it. I live in the UK so I have a front loading machine. Is it just better to hand wash it?

Thanks in advance!

I'd suggest a shower instead...with as little scrubbing as necessary. Do a presoak in the tub to loosen any true grunge, if you want. The wear, tear, and whacking about of a washing machine just doesn't seem a good idea.

Comment

i have. no problems. hung dry and it dried overnight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I didn't know that washing in a washing machine voids the warranty.

Comment

I have a few times on both my S19 and S25 (both are Halcyon) - no issues. I use gentle cycle, no soap and then hang dry.
          --------------------------------

Comment

I have washed a number of TOM BIHN bags over the years in either a bath tub (not very convenient) or a utility sink (extremely easy). And then hang dry. If it at all possible, I would suggest that approach over the use of a washing machine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CsuD56zXEAAPZ15.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	301452
            -m

Comment

A washing machine's spin dry cycle forces water through fabric, which can be pretty tough on the water-resistant polyurethane coating kiss that is on the inside of the Halcyon and Cordura fabrics used in the Synapse, causing premature coating degradation. I'd do the soak and scrub method if you intend to preserve that coating.

Comment

Thank you very much. I went through the hand wash method. Water did get in but only for a bit. Hopefully it will be fine. I soaked it, scrubbed a bit and now it's on the balcony. Hopefully dry by tomorrow! A lot of dirt did get out, hopefully makes a difference!

Comment

Originally posted by carrot View Post
                  A washing machine's spin dry cycle forces water through fabric, which can be pretty tough on the water-resistant polyurethane coating kiss that is on the inside of the Halcyon and Cordura fabrics used in the Synapse, causing premature coating degradation. I'd do the soak and scrub method if you intend to preserve that coating.
                  Wow I never would have even thought that was the reason you're not supposed to use a machine! Thank you.

On my machine I can turn off the spin cycle. If I use a mesh wash bag to protect the outside, and use the "hand wash delicates" setting on my machine with no spin, do you think that would be ok?

Comment

Originally posted by Cristina View Post
                    On my machine I can turn off the spin cycle. If I use a mesh wash bag to protect the outside, and use the "hand wash delicates" setting on my machine with no spin, do you think that would be ok?
                    This is from the FAQ:
                    "Methods we DON'T recommend:
                    Having your bag dry-cleaned or putting your bag in a washing machine or dryer will void the guarantee and make your bag look funny."

Others have had success washing their bags in the washing machine, but I would be afraid to. I have handwashed a lot my TB bags, especially ones I've acquired secondhand. If there are stains, I use Dawn and scrub gently with a soft toothbrush and let it sit for a little while, then put it in a tub of water with a few drops of Dawn. The bags have come out looking new. If you do try the washing machine, please let us know how it worked.
                    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Comment

There is no need to machine wash. I've found that spot cleaning peridically and the occasional soak in a utility tub or bathtub is all that is necessary to keep it looking new.

I've bought a couple of TB bags that looked awfully grungy but ended up looking new after a scrub with woolite and a very soft brush.
                      When in trouble, obfuscate.

Comment

Wow, I didn't know about the washing machine voiding the guarantee either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                        Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Comment

Originally posted by maverick View Post
                          I have washed a number of TOM BIHN bags over the years in either a bath tub (not very convenient) or a utility sink (extremely easy). And then hang dry. If it at all possible, I would suggest that approach over the use of a washing machine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18003[/ATTACH]
                          Sorry for going off topic but it looks like there is a Pinterest logo on the top left corner of your bag!

Comment

Originally posted by TorontoSS View Post
                            Hi guys,

I know we are not supposed to use a washing machine and it voids the warranty. But I wanted to know if anyone out there has tried it and what happens if you do?

I have a synapse 19 and I was considering washing it. I live in the UK so I have a front loading machine. Is it just better to hand wash it?

Thanks in advance!
                            I know it's bad but I was in the south and the back of my synapse 25 started to stink from sweat so I washed it. I used the handwash cycle of a washing machine (low agitation, mostly soak and swish cycle) and dried on delicate, nothing happened. I did it several times over 6 months... still nothing happened. That said, I'd recommend a tub wash to others... I'm known for being willing to toss caution to the wind. My daylight was the same way. Would I do it to my Hero's Journey? Hell to the no! lmao

Comment

Originally posted by Quotidianlight View Post
                              I know it's bad but I was in the south and the back of my synapse 25 started to stink from sweat so I washed it. I used the handwash cycle of a washing machine (low agitation, mostly soak and swish cycle) and dried on delicate, nothing happened. I did it several times over 6 months... still nothing happened. That said, I'd recommend a tub wash to others... I'm known for being willing to toss caution to the wind. My daylight was the same way. Would I do it to my Hero's Journey? Hell to the no! lmao
                              I decided to handwash so can't comment on how it turned out on the washing machine, but out of curiosity what type of detergent did you use?

Comment

Working...
                              X