Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,524   Posts: 187,777   Members: 6,485   Active Members: 303
Welcome to our newest member, questah043.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attaching personal items to carry-on bags

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by AVService View Post
    I imagine the piggyback would need to rotate 90 degrees to carry that way but again this is about a 5 minute mod I bet.
    I imagine it would also pull to one side. I considered doing something like that, it definitely looks clean, but I think simply using an Absolute Strap cross-body would give better balance and stability.

    Comment


      #17
      Greetings Kennyj,
      Before finding Tom Bihn, when I was forced to carry a purse, it was smaller than a Side Effect. So the magnetic clasp was next to my wallet. On rare occasions when the phone was in there, it was touching the wallet. Your explanation explains a lot, thank you.

      I also appreciate your kind words regarding my misunderstanding. I wasn't aware of the history behind the lack of women's pockets. That is very illuminating! elisa

      Comment


        #18
        I just figured that would provide you and the bystanders some amusement.

        I really do hope that pockets become standard components of ladies clothing sometime in our lifetimes. But, given the shade that men wearing cargo pants get, I think there's an ongoing societal aversion to people dressing like they actually do things (doubly so for women) and it's something we need to grapple with.

        Comment


          #19
          Oh how I miss all the pockets in my military uniform. The camouflage patterns were ugly, but the pockets were wonderful! I never had to carry a purse... it was heavenly! elisa

          Comment


            #20
            What you're talking about may not work, but I attached my water bottle, side kick and hoodie with clips and velcro. Velcro was for hoodie and clips held the side kick and water bottle. Is that something that may work?
            S19 Black Halcyon/Northwest Sky .... Maker's Bag Black Halcyon/Wasabi .... Side Effect Aubergine/Wasabi .... Med Cafe Bag Steel/Navy

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by fae925 View Post
              What you're talking about may not work, but I attached my water bottle, side kick and hoodie with clips and velcro. Velcro was for hoodie and clips held the side kick and water bottle. Is that something that may work?
              Velcro's not a bad idea, but I was hoping for something a bit more polished and secure.

              Comment


                #22
                Some of the Velcro straps and the like are remarkably hard to get apart and would be great for this I think,I was initially thinking Velcro was the best method myself.

                Originally posted by kennyj View Post
                Velcro's not a bad idea, but I was hoping for something a bit more polished and secure.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Hi Kennyj! Welcome aboard from a fellow (relative) TB newbie.

                  As someone who just completed his virgin voyage with the A45, might I add a word of caution?

                  While conducting my research into whether I should get the A45, A30, or TriStar, I encountered many comments about how "heavy" the A45 can become, fully loaded. Being a rather solid male in my prime (5'10", 185 pounds, and muscular), I discounted those comments, particularly when they came from women with much smaller builds (yes, call me sexist!).

                  BUT. They were all right! I packed that sucker to the gills and damn if I didn't nearly pull a muscle carrying it with the shoulder strap, along with my Ristretto and a smallish "weekend" sized vintage Samsonite Silhouette (1967).

                  In fact, the day before my return trip to New York, I even pre-packed the Samsonite suitcase, along with some of the other items weighing down my A45, and FedEx'd them ahead of me ... and STILL I was huffing and puffing through Penn Station with the "lighter" packed A45 and the Ristretto.

                  The springy and stretchy "Absolute" shoulder strap was a godsend -- I can't imagine carrying an A45 without it -- but still that bag was quite heavy and the strap was digging into my shoulder. Also, given the A45's larger dimensions, I found it a bit bulky and awkward on the shoulder as I tried to quickly navigate up and down subway stairs, and through train stations and city streets; for fastest mobility I found it easier to carry it by hand using the handles (years of weight training at the gym paying off!).

                  I did not, however, wear it as a backpack; huge backpacks are a thorny issue here in NYC when going onto the subway. There's even an MTA rule (that sadly few people know about, but increasingly being enforced) that requires people to REMOVE their backpacks and hold them while on crowded trains.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by NYCWriter View Post
                    Hi Kennyj! Welcome aboard from a fellow (relative) TB newbie.

                    As someone who just completed his virgin voyage with the A45, might I add a word of caution?

                    While conducting my research into whether I should get the A45, A30, or TriStar, I encountered many comments about how "heavy" the A45 can become, fully loaded. Being a rather solid male in my prime (5'10", 185 pounds, and muscular), I discounted those comments, particularly when they came from women with much smaller builds (yes, call me sexist!).

                    BUT. They were all right! I packed that sucker to the gills and damn if I didn't nearly pull a muscle carrying it with the shoulder strap, along with my Ristretto and a smallish "weekend" sized vintage Samsonite Silhouette (1967).

                    In fact, the day before my return trip to New York, I even pre-packed the Samsonite suitcase, along with some of the other items weighing down my A45, and FedEx'd them ahead of me ... and STILL I was huffing and puffing through Penn Station with the "lighter" packed A45 and the Ristretto.

                    The springy and stretchy "Absolute" shoulder strap was a godsend -- I can't imagine carrying an A45 without it -- but still that bag was quite heavy and the strap was digging into my shoulder. Also, given the A45's larger dimensions, I found it a bit bulky and awkward on the shoulder as I tried to quickly navigate up and down subway stairs, and through train stations and city streets; for fastest mobility I found it easier to carry it by hand using the handles (years of weight training at the gym paying off
                    I hope this isn't too off topic, but this is exactly why the lack of a proper load-bearing waist/hip belt on the A45 mystifies me. The A45 is one of the largest/highest capacity TB bags and the capacity surely warrants a hip belt like some of the dedicated backpacks have. Maybe it is just meant to be primarily a duffel.

                    I posted a couple of months ago asking about ways to make a hip belt or at least improve the waist belt on the Aeronauts, because I love the organisation they offer. Sadly, I just couldn't justify having to make so many mods on a bag when I knew I just needed it to distribute the weight in a way it couldn't, so in the end I got a non-TB panel-loading backpack from a company known for having amazing hip belts and my shoulders don't regret it one bit.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Understandable. I have "cable" ties that are self attaching velcro from amazon. I got about a million for less than $10. Some are great, some aren't so great. I do know that two held a stuffed makers bag to a rolling suitcase, but it was also resting on it. I'd have to do some research... lol
                      S19 Black Halcyon/Northwest Sky .... Maker's Bag Black Halcyon/Wasabi .... Side Effect Aubergine/Wasabi .... Med Cafe Bag Steel/Navy

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X