Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,525   Posts: 187,782   Members: 6,486   Active Members: 307
Welcome to our newest member, ozzyrussell.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I Make my Hero's Journey More Water Resistant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I Make my Hero's Journey More Water Resistant?

I'm traveling and have been hitting some rain. While the material is coated and the bag uses aquaguard zippers. Is there any reason I could not or should not seam seal my bag? If it would work, would you recommend tape, silnet, seamgrip ect. Also, how often should I re-treat the fabric coating and does TB have a recommended product. I'm in florida atm and have already had some dampness. I can see this is something I take care of before I hit the tropics or SE Asia. I plan to get a cover anyway but given how rough I am on gear (two weeks and I already have a snag lmao) I'd like to give it the best chance of survival possible.

Hi @Quotidianlight, while you may want to speak with customer service to verify this, I am guessing that if you modified the bag in one of those ways, it would void the warranty. Having used Silnet to seam seal a tent, even if you apply it carefully, that would also impact the aesthetics. One suggestion in addition to a pack cover would be to invest in some dry bags if you have some items you are particularly concerned about. While I didn't have any leaking issues in moderate to medium rain, I always put important electronics in some sort of dry bag or protective covering to be on the safe side. Good luck!
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Comment

Originally posted by NWhikergal View Post
      Hi @Quotidianlight, while you may want to speak with customer service to verify this, I am guessing that if you modified the bag in one of those ways, it would void the warranty. Having used Silnet to seam seal a tent, even if you apply it carefully, that would also impact the aesthetics. One suggestion in addition to a pack cover would be to invest in some dry bags if you have some items you are particularly concerned about. While I didn't have any leaking issues in moderate to medium rain, I always put important electronics in some sort of dry bag or protective covering to be on the safe side. Good luck!
      Giving up my warranty would be a big choice but if the benefit outweighed the cons I might take the plunge since water proofing the bag would save more weight that using several dry bags and give me easier access. When I sealed my tent, I sealed it from the inside and it didn't affect the tent aesthetically. I'm wondering if that is less effective the sealing from the outside hmmm...

Comment

Hi, I backpack quite a bit and Colorado is known for it's afternoon thunderstorms. I would never be without a pack rain cover, it weighs just a few ounces and will keep your whole pack dry. At the end of the day a pack can be brought into a tent or vestibule without making the things you unpack wet. Just my $0.02.

Comment

Hi,

Customer Service will tell you that they recommend NikWax waterproofing. You can get it through TB, or at many sports stores (I get min from REI when I need it).
          DLBC (black Dyneema) **Missing **, Synapse 25 Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet), Synapse 19 (Navy/Wasabi), Aeronaut 45 Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet), PCBP for TriStar (Iberian), Synapse 19 (Navy/Solar), Ristretto for iPad (Black/Wasabi), Large Shop Bag (Island),mini Q-kit, various packing cubes, stuff sacks, and pouches.

Retired but not forgotten: TriStar (Black/Wasabi), Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Solar), Synapse 25 (French Blue/Steel).

Comment

Working...
          X