Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,498   Posts: 187,500   Members: 6,458   Active Members: 330
Welcome to our newest member, scjoyner.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Packing Strategy for Aeronaut 45

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey everyone,

I was very excited to place an order for a Steel/Wasabi Aeronaut 45 yesterday and I was wondering if anyone has a preferred packing strategy in terms of packing cubes, accessories, etc. for the A45.

So far I have purchased one end packing cube, one large packing cube for the main compartment, a 3D organizer cube for my liquids/aerosols, and a spiff kit. Basically I'm deciding whether to get another large packing cube or two small packing cubes for the main compartment. Should I buy a stuff sack or a laundry sack? These are the questions that vex the gods.

I found this gem of an article for packing ideas for the Synapse 25.... not sure if there is a similar blog post for the Aeronaut.

https://blog.tombihn.com/video-packi...the-synapse-25

I typically take 10 day vacations so I'm trying to come up with the most efficient packing system for these trips. Also - do people usually put their shoes in garbage bags or should I get a stuff sack for them?

Thanks!!

Josh
    Current TB bags: Aeronaut 30 (black halcyon / northwest sky), Synapse 25 (black halcyon / northwest sky)
    Current TB accessories: aether packing cubes, 3D clear organizer, 3D fabric organizer, small snake charmer, luggage tag, red cord pulls

Follow my new instagram page for honest reviews on travel gear & top resorts: @traveltheworldwithjosh

Next trip: Thailand / Vietnam / Singapore / Australia / New Zealand

If you like the large packing cube, then that's great.

But I learned here to pack four end pocket cubes on their sides in the main compartment. They end up with short sides facing out like books. I love it because I bought different fabrics and can know looking at the colors what is in each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The Aeronaut is really great for configuring things the way you like them, so large vs small packing cubes are very much a personal preference. I like small packing cubes myself (I use Packing Cube Shoulder Bags in the A45) to allow a little better organization - one day's shirt/underwear/socks get rolled together, then 3-4 rolls go into one cube, and other smaller clothes (extra underwear or socks, swim suit, exercise clothes, etc depending on the trip) go into another cube, with the rest of the main compartment used for bulkier stuff (sweater, towel, rain jacket, etc) and a laundry sack (I just use an old sleeping bag stuff sack).

I put my extra shoes (usually running shoes) in a dedicated PCSB in one end pocket. A garbage bag would do fine, or just the shoes by themselves if they're not dirty.

I don't use a lot of stuff sacks myself, but they are good for keeping smaller items from getting lost, and for compression of some types of clothing (I'm thinking mainly of down jackets). And they fit nicely into nooks and crannies inside a bigger bag. For me it's a balance between organzing my stuff and making it hard to get to behind zippers and drawstrings.

Here's a video about a couple of different ways of using the Aeronaut. Actually, I'm not sure I can get the link right, but you can go to the Videos tab and look for the one called "Part 1: Packing for a Trip to Japan."

Comment

I also like the smaller packing cubes better, but it is indeed just personal preference. As much as I like the idea, I couldn't get much use out of the laundry stuff sack, maybe I should give it another try some time.
        I always use an end cube for shoes. In terms of accessories I always take my travel tray with me for small stuff and to use it at my destination. It helps me that my small stuff is not all over the place.
        Also I use a key strap to put my keys in the outer pocket, because I will not use them during the trip, but they are safely out of the way in there.

Comment

I've used the Aeronaut 30 quite a bit, and the packing strategy is probably similar to what I'd use if it was the 45 version:
          * one large Aether cube in the main section that takes up all the floor area, with most of my clothes
          * small random stuff on top of that, (cubes, pouches and other miscellany), or if needed, another half-cube with more clothes
          * packing cube with my sleeping clothes and eye mask in one end pocket
          * whatever is left over in the other end pocket

I usually don't pack a second pair of shoes, but they can go in any container. You don't even need a stuff sack; a plastic bag would do for the purpose of keeping the inside of the Aeronaut clean, unless you happen to be placing another order and think you'll have secondary uses for the stuff sack.

I am usually able to carry a second small bag with my personal stuff, but if I wanted to fit it all in the Aeronaut, I'd have it in one of the end pockets where it was easily accessible to pull out.
          ----
          All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
          Edmund Burke

Comment

I have the A30 with 1 large and two small packing cubes for the main compartment. A Clear 3-D cube for toiletries. I bought the end packing cubes, but I don't use them much. I don't like the center position of the zipper. For shoes I use the Lewis N Clark shoe socks (shoe bags, whatever they are called). I put one shoe in each "sock" and stuff the shoes where ever they fit. I prefer to pack each shoe separately. It keeps them from rubbing against each other, and makes it easier to pack them the empty corners.

Comment

Thanks everyone your replies have been extremely helpful. Now I just need to decide whether to order the Synapse 25 in Black ballistic nylon or halcyon as my personal item. Do any of you have issues w/ the Halcyon Synapse 25 not holding its shape? Apparently this seems to be a minor complaint in some forum posts - not sure if there's any truth to it.
              Current TB bags: Aeronaut 30 (black halcyon / northwest sky), Synapse 25 (black halcyon / northwest sky)
              Current TB accessories: aether packing cubes, 3D clear organizer, 3D fabric organizer, small snake charmer, luggage tag, red cord pulls

Follow my new instagram page for honest reviews on travel gear & top resorts: @traveltheworldwithjosh

Comment

Originally posted by JoshuaKM View Post
                Now I just need to decide whether to order the Synapse 25 in Black ballistic nylon or halcyon as my personal item.
                Actually, the S25 doesn't come in Ballistic - it's either Halcyon or Cordura. I have had the bag in both, and for reasons I'm not quite sure of, I much prefer the Halcyon. It's not all that much floppier than Cordura, so I don't really see much of a difference in that respect; I think I just like the smoothness in this particular bag. (And in the Cafe Bags, I like Cordura. Go figure.)

Comment

Thanks Terayon - my head is still spinning from all of the different packing / accessory options. If I get the S25 I'll either get Steel / Wasabi (to match my A45) or Black Halcyon / Wasabi.

Another quick question - is it feasible to carry both an A45 and an S25 as a two-bag travel solution or would it make more sense to carry an A45 and a pilot? I like the idea of the extra room in the S25 (just in case I pick up any clothing/souvenir purchases on my Europe trips) but I guess it may be easier to carry the A45 on my back and then get an absolute shoulder strap for a Pilot (although then I would be left with less storage space). Decisions, decisions!

Comment

Originally posted by JoshuaKM View Post
                    Another quick question - is it feasible to carry both an A45 and an S25 as a two-bag travel solution or would it make more sense to carry an A45 and a pilot? I like the idea of the extra room in the S25 (just in case I pick up any clothing/souvenir purchases on my Europe trips) but I guess it may be easier to carry the A45 on my back and then get an absolute shoulder strap for a Pilot (although then I would be left with less storage space). Decisions, decisions!
                    If your A45 is very light (for example, if you're going to pack clothing in it and nothing heavier than clothing) you could carry it with the Absolute Strap and wear the S25 like the backpack that it is... but you'd want to be sure that the A45 was going to stay light. On the whole I'd recommend the A45/Pilot combination so you can wear the A45 as a backpack. Or you could do what I did on a recent trip: take an A45 and a smaller bag (in my case a Co-Pilot) with a small Yeoman Duffel rolled up inside the A45 for extra space and a spare Absolute Strap and luggage lock for the Yeoman. For a flight midway through my trip, I packed my soft items (mostly clothes) into the Yeoman and checked it, carrying on the A45 with any more fragile items in it. I was even able to put the Co-Pilot into the Aeronaut, so I was still only carrying two bags. By my last flight I had picked up enough stuff (some of it at the Tom Bihn store!) that I couldn't fit the Co-Pilot into the Aeronaut anymore, but the Aeronaut + Co-Pilot + Yeoman combination was still manageable for carrying, especially since the Yeoman was so light with just clothes in it.

I feel like that paragraph got pretty convoluted, so here's a flight by flight listing of what I did on that trip:
                    * Flight 1 & 2: Aeronaut 45 + Co-Pilot, with small Yeoman Duffel rolled up in a size 2 travel stuff sack inside the Aeronaut = 2 bags
                    * Flight 3: Aeronaut 45 (with Co-Pilot inside it like a large and inefficient packing cube) + small Yeoman Duffel = 2 bags, but not the same two!
                    * Flight 4: Aeronaut 45 + Co-Pilot + Small Yeoman Duffel (as checked luggage) = 3 bags

A side note on carrying the Co-Pilot with the Aeronaut: I'd originally planned to wear the Co-Pilot cross-body and wear the Aeronaut backpack straps over that, but it turned out to be uncomfortable having the Co-Pilot's Absolute Strap pressing into my shoulder and neck that way. Instead I put the Aeronaut on first and put the Co-Pilot on one shoulder, and that worked fine. I thought I'd have trouble with the strap sliding off, but the Absolute Strap grabbed the Aeronaut shoulder strap as well as it grabs everything else so it stayed on fine.

P.S. A Pilot does fit inside an Aeronaut 45, if you wanted to do this with a Pilot.
                    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Comment

I agree that in most cases you'd want to keep the bigger bag on your back, so a Pilot might make more sense if the A45 is full.

However, I generally prefer to have a backpack for my day bag (and a Side Effect for when I don't need the backpack) once I arrive, so I often take a Synapse 19 inside the A45, and pull it out once I'm on the plane. This requires some fairly careful packing, but it's worked well.

Comment

Based on my (relatively limited) experience, being an OVER-packer myself, let me warn you that fully loaded, the A45 can be quite heavy. Unless you're carrying it on your back or by hand via the handles, it can be cumbersome to carry using the shoulder strap if you're planning on carrying something else with a shoulder strap.

Comment

Wow - great input everyone. My general thought in going with a two-bag solution would be to lighten the load of the A45 with a complementary bag that would also hold all of the items that I need for the flight (iPad, headphones, etc). I've basically narrowed it down to the Pilot or the S19/S25. I do like the design of the Pilot but I can't help but think that the S19/S25 is a much more versatile personal item because it has a much larger capacity and can be worn with one strap or two.

I definitely think it makes sense to wear the A45 in backpack mode when traveling due to the fact that it will be a heavier bag, but then I would have to carry the S19/S25 with one strap over the backpack strap - which sounds a bit odd. Sorry to ramble I'm just trying to work out the different scenarios in my head. If people are over-the-moon excited about the Pilot as the ultimate personal item / complement to the A45 I can definitely go that route. Ah, decisions, decisions.

Comment

Working...
                          X