Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,498   Posts: 187,500   Members: 6,458   Active Members: 330
Welcome to our newest member, scjoyner.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My husband wants a man purse :) so I just placed a big order for him.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My husband wants a man purse :) so I just placed a big order for him.

My 65-yr-old fiscally and sartorially conservative accountant husband asked to borrow my original halcyon/UV Side Effect the other day when he realized he didn't have enough hands and pockets to carry his bulky hard sunglasses case, phone, wallet, pill container, and keys. So I loaned it to him, and he hasn't given it back... it went on top of the dresser, still fully packed with all his daily gear, and he's been carrying it unselfconsciously for several days. At first, he carried it like a clutch But then he said he wanted a strap for it so his hands would be free. So I gave him the 1-inch strap from my new Side Kick. He's just gone grocery shopping with it, filling it with even more stuff (pen, shopping list, etc.) and is wearing it cross body, without an ounce of embarrassment.

He said loves the fact that when he sits down at a table in a restaurant, all his stuff from his pockets, which would normally be piled loose on a table, are neatly harnessed in a single container. I told him, "Welcome to the concept of the purse."

So I asked him if he'd like one of his own for Father's Day, and he said yes. I just ordered him one in black halcyon/NW Sky.
    Then (I'd been contemplating this for a while) I asked him if he'd like me to "save on shipping" by getting him a Western Flyer at the same time. The logic is that it will be a replacement for his years-old laptop sling bag which has seen better days, and can be used as an all-in-one bag for shorter trips, or as a personal item when he carries his larger leather duffel. Miraculously, he said yes, go ahead and order it. He chose navy/UV, which I'm also amazed by, because I was sure he'd think the UV was "girly." But he said he really likes that color.

The moral of the story: Never underestimate a senior accountant with overflowing pockets.
    Don’t make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, don’t hesitate to make it beautiful. — Shaker Philosophy

I honestly have no idea how men do it. I carry around a wallet, phone, sunglasses, travel charger, phone cable, sanitizer, mints/gum, etc. It's impossible to be fully functional without a bag of some kind so I completely understand why he'd love the sidekick.

Comment

Great story!

Comment

You're taking good care of this guy, Amy, and your story also suggests he's objective and logical about what works and what doesn't. Right now I have one Tom Bihn bag....a CoPilot, which I really like. It's a great bag. I can really load it up as a carryon for air travel.

It's ok for every day use, but actually a little large for that given that I'm retired. I've been thinking about a SideKick, or maybe something a little larger but not as much volume as the CoPilot. What might that be?

Comment

Originally posted by Go Navy View Post
          You're taking good care of this guy, Amy, and your story also suggests he's objective and logical about what works and what doesn't. Right now I have one Tom Bihn bag....a CoPilot, which I really like. It's a great bag. I can really load it up as a carryon for air travel.

It's ok for every day use, but actually a little large for that given that I'm retired. I've been thinking about a SideKick, or maybe something a little larger but not as much volume as the CoPilot. What might that be?
          Packing cube shoulder bag, maybe? I bought one for my husband before a trip to Scotland a couple of years ago and he wore it as a day bag. It is very floppy, but it holds a lot and you could always nest a Side Effect inside it to add organization, or use one of those tiny Freudian slips to give it structure. With a wider strap, the PCSB does not look purselike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          Don’t make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, don’t hesitate to make it beautiful. — Shaker Philosophy

Comment

Originally posted by TRD View Post
            I honestly have no idea how men do it. I carry around a wallet, phone, sunglasses, travel charger, phone cable, sanitizer, mints/gum, etc. It's impossible to be fully functional without a bag of some kind so I completely understand why he'd love the sidekick.
            Honestly, as a guy, having to carry around stuff like that is WHY I carry a bag. A bag is an essential when I'm wandering around the city, taking public transportation and walking around the place. I guess in suburbs and small town that guys can get away with leaving stuff in their cars, but living in a city? I have to have a bag.

Comment

I love carrying a purse! People have fun making jokes, but it doesn't bother me. I even started calling it a purse!

I love having stuff organized into a purse -- whether it's the Side Effect or Small Cafe Bag or the Co-Pilot. Having your stuff in a purse rather than in your pockets is so convenient!
              -m

Comment

Originally posted by TRD View Post
                Many of them just have their wives and girlfriends carry their crap in THEIR purses.

Comment

Originally posted by maverick View Post
                  I love carrying a purse! People have fun making jokes, but it doesn't bother me. I even started calling it a purse!

I love having stuff organized into a purse -- whether it's the Side Effect or Small Cafe Bag or the Co-Pilot. Having your stuff in a purse rather than in your pockets is so convenient!
                  It's obviously easier to get over being self-conscious about these things when you're gay and live in New York.

We've been calling our messenger bags "MURSES" for years. LOL!

Comment

Now all you need is a ClipA and you're all set!

I never let my Tom Bihn bags touch the floor ...
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0732.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	422.7 KB
ID:	301522

Comment

How do men do it? Sometimes I simply do local things by taking much less "stuff" with me. Just two keys (house and car), a very slim wallet, iPhone on a belt clip. I'm always trying to think minimalist, even when I need a simple day bag or carryon. Any time I want my iPad, meds, and any paperwork with me, though, out comes the Copilot. I no longer read or carry physical books; it's all on the iPad.

I'm starting to think something smaller than even the copilot would be nice when not traveling. The copilot has made its first air travel with me and perfect for managing everything on today's overbooked airlines.

Comment

My dad, who is 75 and a bit of a free thinking eccentric, has schlepped his stuff around in his hands and in overflowing pockets for years. He will wear a jacket even in the summer just so he has additional pockets for his junk. He typically takes a few cigars and lighters, an overstuffed wallet with receipts and bills hanging out, a newspaper, book, a few chapsticks in case he loses one, two pairs of reading glasses in case he loses one, a handful of lens wipes, keys, pills, and god knows what else. Once he couldn't find a small lighter so he stuffed one of those big fireplace lighters in his tshirt pocket. Ridiculous.

Last year before he and my mom went on a trip to France, I converted him to a medium cafe bag with a double organizer pouch as a wallet, and a side effect tethered in the cafe bag to contain his cigars and other junk. He LOVED his purse. He said he especially loved not having to sit on his overstuffed wallet. He kept using the bag for a few months after they came home, but he has gradually reverted to his old ways. [emoji849]

Comment

Ah, the notorious overstuffed wallet that some men prefer. And it is not age-related. I've seen lots of younger men with fat wallets. Can't imagine what all the stuff is in those wallets. I have seen a male acquaintance pull a fat one one out and sort through 30 or 40 business cards he keeps from various sources. Hey, put it all in an iPhone! Try shopping for a truly thin wallet sometime. You can find them, but they're the exception rather than the rule. Orthopedists often suggest that sitting on a fat wallet is bad for your back. I believe it.

But, if a guy wants to carry all that stuff, he could offload it into a TB accessory pouch of which there are several, and then carry a small EDC bag. My brother has gone to what he calls a "man purse" and takes it everywhere. He's got me thinking.

Girls, I've also seen women pull out a girl wallet with maybe ten credit cards and 20 affinity cards, or so it seems. I detest affinity cards and never use them. But I digress......

Comment

Those who were Seinfeld fans may also remember this episode about George and his big wallet (I thought of it when I read this thread):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoPf98i8A0g
                            "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
                            "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Comment

Lol! That is EXACTLY my Dad's wallet.

Comment

Working...
                              X