Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,495   Posts: 187,476   Members: 6,456   Active Members: 329
Welcome to our newest member, Hungry.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Smart Alec Backpack: Q&A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pretzelb
    replied
    Steel / Solar looks very nice. The bright color should help with the narrow mouth of the bag hiding the bottom contents.

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    The Smart Alec has just now - as of five minutes ago - been listed as back in-stock! New pictures of the Steel/Solar are on the blog today:
    http://www.tombihn.com/blog/node/829

Sorry - we won't have Grape again.

Originally posted by Carlos View Post
    Is the Smart Alec shipping? The web page still states it's in pre-order and shipping in mid February.

I'd also love to see new pictures. Any chance you'll produce a black and grape/plum Smart Alec again?

Leave a comment:

• Carlos
    replied
    Is the Smart Alec shipping? The web page still states it's in pre-order and shipping in mid February.

I'd also love to see new pictures. Any chance you'll produce a black and grape/plum Smart Alec again?

Leave a comment:

• peregrina
    replied
    yay!! looking forward to seeing it!

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Maybe today! We just received one from our factory to photograph.

Leave a comment:

• peregrina
    replied
    I'd love to see a picture of the Smart Alec with the new solar pattern inside; any idea when we might see any on the website?

Leave a comment:

• TimK65
    replied
    Originally posted by Darcy View Post
    Yes: the Vertical Freudian Slip will fit well with the Size 6 Vertical Brain Cell in the main compartment of the Smart Alec. It's difficult to describe exactly how much room would be leftover -- I'd say enough for a couple of big books and a jacket.
    Thanks, Darcy! I'll get me a Freudian Slip when the budget permits.

Best,
    Tim

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Originally posted by TimK65 View Post
    Will a Vertical Freudian Slip fit well into the Smart Alec along with a size 6 Vertical Brain Cell? If so, how much room will the combination leave in the Smart Alec's main compartment?
    Yes: the Vertical Freudian Slip will fit well with the Size 6 Vertical Brain Cell in the main compartment of the Smart Alec. It's difficult to describe exactly how much room would be leftover -- I'd say enough for a couple of big books and a jacket.

Leave a comment:

• TimK65
    replied
    Thanks, Tim, and you're welcome!! Let me know how it works for you.
    Another question. I obviously should have looked harder at a Freudian Slip before, because now I find myself really wanting one, particularly for travel with the Smart Alec. Which leads to my question: Will a Vertical Freudian Slip fit well into the Smart Alec along with a size 6 Vertical Brain Cell? If so, how much room will the combination leave in the Smart Alec's main compartment?

Thanks,
    Tim

Leave a comment:

• reina
    replied
    17" mac & iLap

Both the 17" macbook pro and 17" widescreen iLap fit in the Smart Alec, along with power cords, etc. The iLap doesn't interfere with the water bottle pocket, either - it can still hold a 20 oz. Swiss Gear bottle

Leave a comment:

• TimK65
    replied
    Hi Darcy,

I've been a bit slow, but here's my assessment.

I flew with the Smart Alec and the Aeronaut last month. I carried them both on, which at times was unpopular with flight attendants because, I think, the Smart Alec was a tad too large to pass as a "personal item." This was really only a problem on RJ flights, because of course there's a lot less space for carry-ons on them. On full-sized jets, it was obvious that the Aeronaut would go in the overhead bin and the Smart Alec under the seat in front of me, and not a word was spoken. (Although that might be because the friend who checked me in got me in first class on both my full-sized jet segments. ) Unfortunately, where I live, a lot of the flights in and out are RJ flights.

I'll be trying this again on an international flight this summer. We'll see how that goes.

Thanks,
    Tim

Leave a comment:

• asml
    replied
    I just got my new Smart Alec in the mail today. Thanks a lot for getting it out ahead of schedule! Just in time for my trip to Mexico tomorrow. Everything looks as I expected so far, which is great.

Leave a comment:

• reina
    replied
    Originally posted by drpher View Post
    @Slinstar - thanks so much for your input! I'll look into the Synapse; I tend to carry a lot of stuff and am not sure if it will be big enough.

@Darcy - thanks a bunch for your response as well. It's good to know that the horizontal COULD fit into the Smart Alec, although perhaps not as well.

I like the proportion of the horizontal BC better; the vertical looks too long for some reason. Just wondering, though, does anyone use a VERTICAL Brain Cell by itself? what strap do you prefer to use it with? or just for the backpack?

Thanks again for your help!
    Priscilla

At first I thought I would like the horizontal BC better for use by itself, but it did bump into my elbows and couldn't be pushed much to the side to do things with my hands freely (i.e. pay for something at the store). I put the Absolute Shoulder Strap on the Vertical BC, and it really doesn't seem too long It doesn't hinder your elbows at all, and is really comfortable. Just my personal opinion, though. I was carrying it over just one shoulder at kind of a short length, so if you have the HBC across the body with the strap longer, it probably wouldn't hinder much, but I think the VBC is great alone as well.

Leave a comment:

• drpher
    replied
    Thanks and some more questions

@Slinstar - thanks so much for your input! I'll look into the Synapse; I tend to carry a lot of stuff and am not sure if it will be big enough.

@Darcy - thanks a bunch for your response as well. It's good to know that the horizontal COULD fit into the Smart Alec, although perhaps not as well.

I like the proportion of the horizontal BC better; the vertical looks too long for some reason. Just wondering, though, does anyone use a VERTICAL Brain Cell by itself? what strap do you prefer to use it with? or just for the backpack?

Thanks again for your help!
    Priscilla

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Originally posted by TimK65 View Post
    Hey Darcy,

Thank you for that post! I've been trying to figure out which bag would suit me best as an under-seat "personal item" bag on a trip later this year. Sounds like the Smart Alec will fill the bill nicely. Order placed.

Best,
    Tim

Leave a comment:

Working...
X