Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,586   Posts: 188,399   Members: 6,562   Active Members: 320
Welcome to our newest member, FlorBeadle.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which bag(s) should I travel with on.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the mention earlier in the post. I worked in the tour industry as a tour director so I can answer many of your questions.

The first thing we need to know is the tour company you are traveling with. Many, especially the larger companies, include bellman service at your hotels. You would only have to worry about carrying the bag to that first hotel and then back home. Everything in between is taken care of--including tips to the porters.

Some tour companies, like Rick Steves, have you carry your bags. They suggest carry on size only and because of the nature of the hotels they use, the coaches can't always pull up in front of the hotel. In that case, you would need to carry/roll your bag from coach parking to the hotel and then possibly up stairs.

As for which bag to get, that really depends on what size you are looking at and your budget.

If you have back problems, you are probably better off with a rolling bag for your clothes, and a smaller EDC/personal item that can piggyback on the roller.

On a tour bus, your bag is safer in the luggage hold than in the passenger area of the bus. It will not be treated like they do on the airlines. Your driver will be loading and unloading the bags and doesn't want any damage to them. Neither does the hotel. (And remember, in most cases that driver is looking for a tip at the end of the tour and doesn't want to do anything that will hurt his tip. )
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers.

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Comment

Originally posted by BWeaves View Post
      Ca1i: What do you think of the Lo and Sons bags? They didn't have the Hanover backpack when I looked at their website.

I ordered the OG and the OMG and loved the look, but found both bags to be very heavy, with extremely heavy zipper pulls and ridiculously heavy logo dangles. I also found the zipper openings very tight to get into, and it was difficult to get things in and out of the bag. Also, everything fell to the bottom of the bag, which left a huge useless empty area at the top. The side entry, secret shoe pocket ends up taking up lots of room on the inside of the bag and gets in the way of the stuff I loaded from the top of the bag. And the cross body / shoulder strap looked dumb with the 2 stiff over the shoulder handles, so wasn't usable.

I returned both Lo and Sons bags, and found Tom Bihn shortly after that. The TB bags aren't as classy looking, but at least they are light and very usable.

Sorry it took so long to reply, but yes I completely agree. The OMG I purchased is sitting on a shelf as I think it is fussily engineered and way too heavy. I purchased it when I was still working so a place for my laptop and room for a change of clothes on short business trips worked...but then I retired.

That said, the Hanover worked really well on my last fun trip (Iceland). I'm still not sold on backpacks vs messenger style but the Hanover is crazy light without its interior structure and not too bad with it. I modified the interior with rings so that I could hook in all my Tom Bihn pouches. I'm a fan. Not a *fan* like I am with Tom Bihn but I think the Hanover has found a place in my travel bag rotation.
      Last edited by Ca1i; 08-17-2017, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Frank, I will most likely use Sunnyland Tours, but I think there is another midwest touring company in this area that is also reported to be very good at what they do. I am still leaning toward Sunnyland, though.
        Smile! People will wonder what you're up to!

Comment

Originally posted by Ca1i View Post
          Sorry it took so long to reply, but yes I completely agree. The OMG I purchased is sitting on a shelf as I think it is fussily engineered and way too heavy. I purchased it when I was still working so a place for my laptop and room for a change of clothes on short business trips worked...but then I retired.
          I just found that Briggs & Riley has a revamped Transcend series out. I bought their clamshell carryon, which is sort of like a WF with a Cadet front pocket. And it opens like a regular suit case, and will slip over the handle of a rollaboard, should I need to bring that sort of suitcase with me, too. I think I'm going to sew some O-rings in it, so I can attach some of my TB accessories.

Oh, but my point was that B&R also came out with an OMG knock-off of sorts. It looks like the pockets and openings are much better designed than the Lo&Sons version, and the bag is much lighter in weight. I'm tempted to order it just to look at it, since TB still hasn't made a zip-top shopping tote, and that's what this is.

Comment

Working...
          X