I really really really want to love the Luminary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really really really want to love the Luminary

I have one sitting in the box it came in for the past two weeks trying to go back, but i don't want it to go back, but i can't see how i can get a lot of use out of it. It is kind of heavy for a really super light day pack, the side pockets are too small to do anything with, i can't even fit my sunglasses in them much less a phone... i guess ear buds and phone charger would fit. Someone please talk me into it keeping it, because right now i just can't see it. I have an S19 that is lovely and works well but seems a little large for a personal item even though i thought it was too small at first too. I do love the new shoulder straps on the Luminary, it would be much softer on shoulders. Do i get another S19? really? did i just ask that?

And then with the color news today, it is in two of the colors that are going to be retired. Should i really keep something because it won't be available again?
    A30-halcyon/UV,, S19-black halcyon/Island, SCB-Original halcyon/Wasabi, MCB-Halycon/Wasabi, SK-black halcyon/Island, SE-Aubergine/Wasabi, LS-Aubergine Fjord, shop bags and numerous bits and bobs in as many colors as i can rationalize

Personally, I wouldn't keep a bag just for the color, as it will feel like a waste if I never get any use out of it. Is there another bag in these colors that might fill a need in your bag collection?
    kindness is contagious.

Comment

If you don't love it now, its unlikely to get any better later.
      Getting to the point with too many bags to list them all. Current daily carry is a PickUp Truck and Everyday Cubelet. Love all my shop bags, ghost whales, cubelets. Hoping to travel again soon to use my A30 and co-pilot.

Comment

I am just the opposite of you, sbossious, I had the same reaction to the S19, tried to talk myself into it, because it was such a gorgeous bag! It did not work for me in the end though. When I opened up my box with the Luminary in it and tried it, I knew right away it was a keeper and I have been using it every day as my EDC.

Just an FYI, I put a very large moisturizer/lip balm stick in one side and a rolled up shopping tote in the other, two things I use every day. I don't try to overstuff those pockets and I really like how they work. And I can use the zipper one handed, to get at the items, which is nice.

If you don't find a use for the Luminary, it will probably sit on a shelf. Nice color or not, better to get what works for you. AND, if you decide to get another S19, it will be available in the new colors soon!

Comment

I had intended my Luminary to be my everyday "one bag to rule them all". It's almost fulfills that role.
          It's fabulous for when I'm out and about with our 4 year old (I'm a stay at home mom). I can be hands free, carry my essentials and a bottle or two of water, maybe a snack.

I don't like the side pockets on the Luminary. (Sorry!). While they fit my organizer wallet just fine, the other side doesn't really fit my keys, or my phone unless I underpack the main compartment.

I think my ideal solution will be a SideEffect/Luminary combo. SideEffect for my personal stuff (keys, wallet, phone, etc) and Luminary to hold mom & kid stuff (water bottles, change of kid clothes, small first aid kit).

I had an s19, and it was a really great bag, but it just wasn't the bag for me.
          I can understand why other people like it though.

Comment

Thanks for the insights. It doesn't make it easier to decide but good to get different perspectives. Usually for me if something is right, it hits me right away. If I have to talk myself into it, it doesn't always work out. I did slide my MacBook Air in it last night and it does fit in there nicely where it rattles around a bit in my Pilot and S19 when it is just loose. I agree with you bermudajes and sturbridge, gotta love it now. If those side pockets were large enough to fit a big smartphone, that would make all the difference.
            A30-halcyon/UV,, S19-black halcyon/Island, SCB-Original halcyon/Wasabi, MCB-Halycon/Wasabi, SK-black halcyon/Island, SE-Aubergine/Wasabi, LS-Aubergine Fjord, shop bags and numerous bits and bobs in as many colors as i can rationalize

Comment

I tend to agree with others, saying that if it doesn't work out, don't keep it. Keeping things just because they will be retired is (to my very personal point of views) a lost cause, especially in the perspective of TB bags Otherwise you'll spend all your money buying all kind of bags in all kind of colors. Unless you are a compulsive buyer with addiction to collecting stuff, that does not make much sense.
              Just ask yourself these simple questions: Do I really need it? Does it fulfill my needs? If yes, keep it. If not, don't.

Comment

I love that the Luminary is comfortable to wear. And that somehow it makes me feel less like a kid schlepping a book bag (than either the S19 or S25).

But, in terms of organization or satisfying my goal of not being that crazy lady who is always fishing in her bag for something that she cannot find: meh. Not so much.

As for the side pockets, I can cram in AirPods (in a padded mico pouch – tethered with a key strap); but, that’s about it. So, I am left fumbling in the main compartment for my iPhone (yes, it’s a huge 7+) and my prescription glasses (also huge hard case). Which are supposed to be tucked into a FS, but are somehow never where I expect them to be.

And to me, it really does feel like fumbling in a deep dark space – despite the lovely Cloud lining. I think that’s because unlike the S19 and S25, the zips stop higher (in order to accommodate the dang side pockets). Irony. It’s what’s for breakfast. Lunch. And dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by anna2222 View Post
                  I am just the opposite of you, sbossious, I had the same reaction to the S19, tried to talk myself into it, because it was such a gorgeous bag! It did not work for me in the end though. When I opened up my box with the Luminary in it and tried it, I knew right away it was a keeper and I have been using it every day as my EDC.

Just an FYI, I put a very large moisturizer/lip balm stick in one side and a rolled up shopping tote in the other, two things I use every day. I don't try to overstuff those pockets and I really like how they work. And I can use the zipper one handed, to get at the items, which is nice.

If you don't find a use for the Luminary, it will probably sit on a shelf. Nice color or not, better to get what works for you. AND, if you decide to get another S19, it will be available in the new colors soon!
                  This is a great idea for those pockets! I've been putting my pens/makeup/tampons in those pockets. I love the straps, they fit perfect (though I think they won't fit over my coat in the winter.) and I carry it every day. It made me cut back to essentials in what I pack daily. Which is good, or I'd carry enough art and crafts to start a girl scout troop.

PS: The new colors are up in S19s, OP. I bought one.

Comment

It took me a little bit to get mine to where I love it, but I do now. I've been carrying it as my EDC for the past couple of days. (Mine's Alphaviolet/Dawn.) I put my keys in one side pocket and a Mini Clear Organizer Pouch in the other (lip balm, bandaids, Advil, earbuds). Inside, I have a small Knitting Bag, a Mini Halcyon pouch that holds my Knitting Kit, another that holds my pen accessories (ink cartridges, mainly), and a Lihit Lab Smart Fit Carrying Pouch in A6 that holds my "purse stuff" (wallet/notebook, phone, extra pens). I like that the Lihit Lab Pouch has o-rings on it that allow me to clip it into my bag. In the iPad compartment, I carry an A5 notebook. All of this goes nicely into my Luminary, and it's all organized and tethered in such a way that I can get to it fairly easily.
                    Maybe consider some different ways of putting your stuff into the bag?

Comment

Originally posted by Ovis Obscura View Post
                      Maybe consider some different ways of putting your stuff into the bag?
                      That is a good idea, I have a bunch of travel stuff sacks and organizer pouches i will give a try with tonight. They really made me love my S19 for travel.

Comment

Just an idea for the large cell phones on the Luminary: Store it in the side compartment, where an ipad is supposed to fit. Plenty of room, an easy grab. It will even fit well in there WITH an ipad pro or mini

Comment

I am having many of the same issues. I fell in LOVE with Mars Red, and grabbed a Luminary in that beautiful color. But I am finding it very difficult to love this bag. It's just an inch too small all around. I found this same problem with the Night Flight. While I love the design of both bags, they are just not right for me. Both will be appearing in an upcoming eBay de-stash of my unused bag collection.
                          Eat well, travel often.

Comment

Working...
                          X