Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,581   Posts: 188,335   Members: 6,543   Active Members: 290
Welcome to our newest member, AndrewGxb0.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri Star Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri Star Questions

I am considering the Tri Star. It's almost perfect. It would be perfect if I could get it without the backstaps. I hate that I cannot.

Question 1: Being loathe to cut the backstraps out and void the warranty, can I fit a very light folded up windbreaker in the backstap compartment with the backstraps?
    Question 2: Will the center section comfortably hold BOTH a Freudian Slip (Tri-Star size) AND a Surfacepro Cache?

Question 3: I like the idea of getting a packing cube shoulder bag, but it's only available in wasabi or ultraviolet. Those colors won't work for a day pack. Any alternative solutions suggested?
    Last edited by saratojo; 08-22-2017, 04:42 PM.

Hi saratojo,

You can indeed fit a windbreaker in the backpack strap compartment along with the backpack straps. You should also be able to place a Freudian Slip and the Surface Pro Cache inside the center compartment. What you need to be aware of is that this is a soft bag, and that the interior sections are separated by a layer of 200 denier Halcyon ripstop nylon fabric. That includes the rear compartment and the backpack strap area.

What that means is that you have flexibility over how that space is allocated. So you can allocate space to the windbreaker in the backpack strap compartment. But that means that there will be less space available to the rear compartment. Similarly, you can allocate more or less space to the center compartment, thereby "stealing" space from the neighboring compartments.

I have to say from personal experience that the ultraviolet packing cube backpack looks just gorgeous! But I understand that color preferences are a subjective matter . You may want to consider the Daylight Backpack, which is not too dissimilar to the Packing Cube Backpack. It takes up minimal space, specially in the 400 denier Halcyon ripstop fabric. It is currently available in both Nordic and Black Halcyon.
    -m

Comment

Hi @saratojo,

I've carried the Tri-Star since it's first issue (and am using it now for work travel). Personally, if I am using a light windbreaker, I stash it in the front water bottle pocket (if I'm not using that pocket for water), or at the top of the small, front, right-hand zippered pocket, above my 3-1-1 bag items. (I can also use the middle compartment, but my Nau Lightbeam windbreaker can pack really small). The backpack strap pocket can be used for tablets and thin laptops, and can also be used to store a Daylight Backpack (which fits in very easily -- you have the option of either Halcyon or Cordura, and both are currently available in business-friendly colors).

HTH

moriond

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
        Hi @saratojo,

I've carried the Tri-Star since it's first issue (and am using it now for work travel). Personally, if I am using a light windbreaker, I stash it in the front water bottle pocket (if I'm not using that pocket for water), or at the top of the small, front, right-hand zippered pocket, above my 3-1-1 bag items. (I can also use the middle compartment, but my Nau Lightbeam windbreaker can pack really small). The backpack strap pocket can be used for tablets and thin laptops, and can also be used to store a Daylight Backpack (which fits in very easily -- you have the option of either Halcyon or Cordura, and both are currently available in business-friendly colors).

HTH

moriond
        I'm 6'6" tall and I think there's no way my Columbia windbreaker fits in the front zippered pocket or water bottle pocket without causing a pretty big bulge. It's not that small.
        As for the replacement for the packing cube shoulder bag, I definitely do not want a backpack. I hate backpacks. I want something that doubles as a packing cube and a shoulder bag for day use. In business colors.

Comment

Originally posted by maverick View Post
          Hi saratojo,

You can indeed fit a windbreaker in the backpack strap compartment along with the backpack straps. You should also be able to place a Freudian Slip and the Surface Pro Cache inside the center compartment. What you need to be aware of is that this is a soft bag, and that the interior sections are separated by a layer of 200 denier Halcyon ripstop nylon fabric. That includes the rear compartment and the backpack strap area.

What that means is that you have flexibility over how that space is allocated. So you can allocate space to the windbreaker in the backpack strap compartment. But that means that there will be less space available to the rear compartment. Similarly, you can allocate more or less space to the center compartment, thereby "stealing" space from the neighboring compartments.

I have to say from personal experience that the ultraviolet packing cube backpack looks just gorgeous! But I understand that color preferences are a subjective matter . You may want to consider the Daylight Backpack, which is not too dissimilar to the Packing Cube Backpack. It takes up minimal space, specially in the 400 denier Halcyon ripstop fabric. It is currently available in both Nordic and Black Halcyon.
          Don't want a backpack solution for the packing cube. I want the packing cube to be used as a shoulder bag for day use. I hate backpacks and will never use any bag as a backpack.

Comment

The packing cube shoulder bags normally come in all the Halcyon colors. Perhaps the Northwest Sky or Island would work better for you. You could email customer service to see about when they might be available. If you are just looking for it for daybag use, perhaps the Side Kick would work for you? Or even the Daylight Briefcase. Both are lightweight and could slip inside the Tristar easily.

Comment

Originally posted by luvdabags View Post
              The packing cube shoulder bags normally come in all the Halcyon colors. Perhaps the Northwest Sky or Island would work better for you. You could email customer service to see about when they might be available. If you are just looking for it for daybag use, perhaps the Side Kick would work for you? Or even the Daylight Briefcase. Both are lightweight and could slip inside the Tristar easily.
              Thanks for replying. The packing cube shoulder bag is only available in wasabi and ultraviolet. No other colors are listed as being in production. As for the side kick or daylight briefcase, that seems like overkill. I don't need another shoulder strap and it seems like they would take up much more room than a packing cube.

Comment

[QUOTE=saratojo;148559]I am considering the Tri Star. It's almost perfect. It would be perfect if I could get it without the backstaps. I hate that I cannot.

Question 1: Being loathe to cut the backstraps out and void the warranty, can I fit a very light folded up windbreaker in the backstap compartment with the backstraps?

QUOTE]

I don't like backpack straps, either. I cut mine out of my WF, and I've never been happier. The backpack compartment is now a nice big extra packing space. And the weight (though minor) of the backstraps, and their lumpiness is gone.

I really wish I'd discovered TB before they quit making the non backpack version.

I'm toying with the idea of cutting the backstraps out of my A30, too. I have a D36 (medium road duffle) which is my all time favorite TB bag, and I love not having backstraps.

Comment

Originally posted by BWeaves View Post
                  I have a D36 (medium road duffle) which is my all time favorite TB bag, and I love not having backstraps.
                  Ordered the Tri Star.
                  Backstraps get cut off first thing.

Comment

Greetings,
                    I'm going to repeat what @luvdabags said. Call customer service and ask about the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. It's possible they might have one, but you don't know unless you ask.

Of the Halcyon colors the PCSB usually comes in (Iberian, Ultraviolet, Wasabi, Island, and Northwest Sky), is there one color that suits you? elisa

Comment

Originally posted by saratojo View Post
                      Don't want a backpack solution for the packing cube. I want the packing cube to be used as a shoulder bag for day use. I hate backpacks and will never use any bag as a backpack.
                      Hi saratojo!

I'm sorry about that -- I misread Packing Cube Shoulder Bag for Packing Cube Backpack.

I did want to mention that my wife is also not a fan of backpacks, but she enjoyed using the Daylight Backpack on a recent trip because of its minimalist webbing backpack straps.
                      -m

Comment

The Tri Star arrived and is perfect except for the extraneous backpack straps, which I will never use. I will probably cut them out after my first Tri Star trial trip which starts next Tuesday. I don't see any reason to keep them in place as they will never be used and I will never resell the bag. (Yes, I know it voids the warranty.) Since the only packing cube that showed up as available in the Tri Star order screen was a small one, I will use my old reliable Eagle Creek packing cubes in the Tri Star. They seem to fit just fine. I bought the Cache for my Surface Pro and it fits perfectly - the sliding cache is a great idea. I also bought a Freudian Slip which will sometimes come in handy depending on the particular trip. I will transfer the TB absolute strap that I bought to use with my old Tumi carry-on - the Tri Star replaces the well used and time-to-retire Tumi bag.

Comment

@saratojo - I'm glad you like your Tri-Star and I hope it works out for you. I recently acquired one after years of wanting one. I used it on just one trip -- so far -- and carried it mainly by the backpack straps. However, I found it very easy to carry by the handle, briefcase style. And I image it would be just as easy to carry with a shoulder strap, weighing no more than my work bag weighs.

By the way, I find the Tri-Star small packing cube the best of the three. If you manage to get a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, it will pair nicely with the small packing cube and fit perfectly in the divided section of the Tri-Star.

Comment

Originally posted by sujo View Post
                            @saratojo - I'm glad you like your Tri-Star and I hope it works out for you. I recently acquired one after years of wanting one. I used it on just one trip -- so far -- and carried it mainly by the backpack straps. However, I found it very easy to carry by the handle, briefcase style. And I image it would be just as easy to carry with a shoulder strap, weighing no more than my work bag weighs.

By the way, I find the Tri-Star small packing cube the best of the three. If you manage to get a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, it will pair nicely with the small packing cube and fit perfectly in the divided section of the Tri-Star.
                            I got one (and in the right color)! Should work great.

Comment

I love my T.S. too and have had it for a very long time and a lot of trips and I too had intended to NEVER use it as a Backpack.

The trouble with the T.S. though is that it can be so overstuffed that it is almost hard to imagine and then coupled with the Absolute Strap it can too easily seem manageable at first carry too.
                              I can't tell you how many times I have carried this bag and regretted it for this reason rather than not "One-Bag" even if it was just crazy to try to.

I remember vividly though the first trip that took me by surprise where those straps saved my butt when I ended up wandering on the ground in a strange parking lot for an hour or so trying to find the car that had been left for me without success.

I always carry paperwork and maybe a coat in the rear pocket with the straps and I had to forsake this and carry the stuff to let the bag ride on my back just to survive the endless walking with all of my stuff which was just too much to keep slinging around any other way.

I ended up calling the client several times still trying to find the car but not being able to and I was so out of breath that I could barely keep walking and talking at the same time.
                              When I finally found the car I had to just sit there and regroup before a 2 day return drive starting right then which I had done several times before,it was really that bad.

I am not a small guy and am in decent shape and on the move all the time but the luggage that I had brought had brought me to my knees,I try to now ALWAYS bring wheels of some kind if carrying more than one bag.

I know you seem certain and almost militant about those straps and it sure does not affect my life in any way if you chop them off but.......
                              if they are not hurting anything or in the way just yet in reality I would let them live for a few more trips and see how it goes.
                              They just take so little room and were a lifesaver for me when really needed.

I would rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them,YMMV as they say.

Comment

Working...
                              X